WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Been AWOL for a little while and 227 posts behind.........ooh, my! I've read through page 19 so still have 5 pages to go.

Allie - I am thinking of you and praying for a satisfactory outcome for you.

Lanette - Love Rosie! What a cutie!

Felicia - I'm from Kansas originally. Where is your son going for his visit?

DJ so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. (((HUGS)))

Welcome new folks

Toni in Tennessee
  • MartiB856
    MartiB856 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

Felicia - I'm from Kansas originally. Where is your son going for his visit?

Toni in Tennessee

He's visiting a friend in Wichita. My eldest son is a sometime student at Fort Hays State in Hays, so lives there with his gf who is an art major at FHSU. We miss them, but not the storms. Where were you in Kansas?

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA I love your new profile picture.

Janetr okc
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Janetr - I just wrote you a long post about step grandchildren (a great joy) but I lost it. :*;)<3 Never mind. A very happy family. <3

Karen - I did misunderstand you as we don't have that milk over here. Sounds great! :D We are about to have ours with stewed gooseberries from our own garden. :bigsmile: Can't think of anything nicer. I have a new batch going right now. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Heather, I know Mia will be a big part of Meg and Steve's life. Steve is so crazy over her. Megan and his daughter get along very well. His daughter did Megan's hair for the wedding, she cuts and colors her hair for her regularly.

Janetr okc
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    oystereyes wrote: »
    Early morning...actually middle of the night! One of my personal crazies is that I often have difficulty sleeping. I am often doing my exercises at 2:30 or 3:00 in the morning. Aaaaaaargh!

Anyway, I am a retired art teacher. I still paint but am enjoying writing and illustrating children's books. We live out in the country between Astoria and Seaside, Oregon. Currently my constant companions are my husband, John and our labradoodle, Katie. We have two grown children. We don't see them very often but we keep the phone busy on weekends. I am not sure if it is the fault of our wet cool winters but I am dealing with the dreaded arthritis. Exercise helps, whining does not help much, I know! I have tried it.

Forgive me, I prattle on about our sweet doggie and the simple pleasures of retirement.

Patsy, see me waving out my window?? Haha! I am just up the street from Fort Stevens. Our library has moved! Hasn't officially opened yet, but it located where the Serendipity restaurant on Main St is/was. This weather had been crazy indeed! My knees act up, and I am just turning 55! We are officially empty nesters as of this week when the son graduated from Warrenton hs. We are sending him to the Navy towards the end of July! Nice meeting you!
    Becca
    Coastal gal in
    Oregon
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Sunday already!

JanetR, love the wedding photo of your DD and the new couple with Mia. Steve will be very happy he married into a wonderful family!

Heather and Karen in VA, I don’t make yogurt but love the full-fat Nancy’s Organic. Sometimes they don’t have it at the store so I have to settle for the reduced fat and don’t like it at all. Karen – making it with half and half does sound decadent – and very healthy. Nice to see we can make friends with fat after all these years!

Mary – any news on the possible move?

Heather, love that “version of ourselves” quote. So true.

Tracie – sorry to hear about your knee. Hope the storms aren’t too bad in the Midwest today. Stay safe!

Penny – isn’t it nice potatoes grow so well in cooler climates? I have some volunteers coming up in the tomato bed right now. Love the photos! You live in a beautiful place!

Sarah, you are so right – working DOES get in the way of the “ME” time. Glad you got a garden work-out. The heat chases me out quickly.

Dana and Lenora – love your fireplaces. We have always loved heating a portion of the house with wood heat (or the whole house if possible). Inserts are great.

Dana – what is up with your doc not giving you antibiotics to begin with? Sheesh. Like you said, that’s why you went! But on a good note, he must have thought you were strong enough to fight it off on your own. Knock wood I haven’t caught any upper respiratory “crap” in a long time. I think my allergies wouldn’t allow it. They rule!

Lenora – love all the photos! Glad you were able to post them. If my hair wasn’t so naturally curly/frizzy I’d go for a cut like that. Right now it’s longer and looks a lot like Dana’s when I put it in curlers- that is, until I get caught in the rain. Today I have a “flip”.

Katla, what can they do for a broken finger other than splint it? So happy it’s “minor” and you’ll be back to riding and your yoga which you love. How are your beans doing? Looks like mine all came up - the deer haven't discovered them yet in the raised bed.

Becca – thank you for sharing Owain’s graduation photo’s. He’s a special kid…. You’ll be an empty nester before long! Also glad Prudence has relatives who can step in….sometimes it’s hard knowing when the time is right. Do they see her often?

Kelly – loved the story about the little boys standing in the hole. I want to be in there with them too! Lots to see! Bugs and rocks and you name it, lol. Sounds like you’ll get a little break with DH being gone. Same way here, my DH isn’t very adventurous and hates for me to cook seafood. I would eat canned salmon every meal if I could and of course I’d have to fight the cats off. Sometimes I open a can of sardines and eat them outside on the picnic table. Love them in tomato sauce. So good for a person!

Karen in VA – cute new photo! I agree about friendships….was just thinking about that the other day. People’s health and circumstances change and it’s not as easy as it once was to hop in the car or on a plane and spend time with the special people in our lives. Thankful for the internet in that regard!

Lisa – welcome to “Egg”. Glad she’s settling in! I agree about trying to have a phone conversation with dogs yapping in the background. I once had yappy dogs who’d be jealous of me talking on the phone. Was glad when they crossed the rainbow bridge. Your workout plan and eating plan sounds very good! Excited about your paintings and the show coming up. I admire all of your talents!

OK, I need to wrap it up here. Hello everyone and welcome newbies!

We are surviving the new puppy. I swear she’s growing like a weed, only had her 4 days now. She eats, plays, sleeps. Sophie our older dog is getting used to her, she’s a little bent out of shape but becomes assertive when she needs to be (Rosie nipping at her heels) and Rosie flops over on her back. We are hearing some barking in the house for the first time in years…. But Rosie takes her cue from Sophie so hopefully will learn that “yappy” barking isn’t the thing to do. Play barking is OK.

Sophie barked today because DH was on the roof repairing a shingle—but normally makes no noise other than a “squeal of delight” when someone comes to the door. DH made it up and down OK w/o a trip to the hospital this time—he used the ladder on the way down instead of taking a nose dive like he did several years ago when he broke his back. :'( (cracked a vertebra, still had to wear a brace for months).

Rosie isn’t bolting her food anymore….she actually wasn’t hungry enough to eat her whole lunch today. Will probably make up for it at dinnertime. I think she realizes she doesn’t have to inhale it anymore since there aren’t 5 other puppies in there trying to get their share.

I haven’t been getting the steps in like I was with my new “charge”, but have managed to keep up on the strength training every 2 or 3 days. I’m a little sore from it, which is what is supposed to happen. Kind of fun feeling strength in arms and things are just getting easier. My knee is holding up just fine and I think with the muscles getting stronger, that should help it.

That’s it for now, Rosie will be needing her “walkies”.

Lanette
    SW WA State

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Lanette, well friend I knew she has a brother in Bend which is far away. Today I found out she has a cousin and niece by Young's River, which isn't far from here. If I can talk to the niece I will confide with them, all the things I have been doing! Its time for her cousin and niece to step up! Prudence wants to go shopping today.
    Becca
    Oregon