WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Well husband and I had a wonderful afternoon! First, the gal that used to check husband in at the Transplant office called and her, her fiancé, and fiancés 13 yr old son were coming out to the coast from Portland, and stopped by. I think when she worked there, she saw a lot of sad situations, so we were kind of a success story, in that husband got a liver. When we were downgraded to just check ups then we would meet her for dinner etc. She had transferred to another department by then so no conflict of interest etc... So she's now met this guy, and she is due in September. They did not waste any time making babies! She has the cutest, hugest, basset hound, named Merlin! He's like 2 feet long! We visited and had ice cream! Then after we said so long with them we drove home and one of my husbands high school friends and her husband came for a visit! She was photographing a wedding in Long Beach WA, and decided to stay up the street at the KOA campgrounds. So we all 4 went to a Chinese restaurant we recommended. We chatted for 3 hours! Her husband has had health scares so we both have leaned on each other. Like she said to me, that I get it, I understand. When her husband was paying the tab, (it was their treat), she took me aside, and said that she is making good money now, and they give to the church monthly, but this month she wanted to give it to us. I cried of course, and said I can't take it, but she said it was a gift. Some of my friends are priceless. Irreplaceable! I told her it would be put towards going and seeing Owain graduate from boot camp!

So we ate family style so many plates, and many take out boxes. My refrigerator will smell like the restaurant!

Hugs
    Becca
    Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    slept well between a glass of wine and melatonin... going grocery shopping in a bit.. found out yesterday when talking to Maryanne,Toms cousin that she wants a tiny house too.. so us girls will have to plan together...
    well now that Tom is meeting with the lawyer I am hoping this will move forward a bit quicker..
    believe you me if I knew how to forward his texts to the attorney I would do it.. I unfortunatly hit the wrong button and they are in the cloud part of my phone.. I am thinking of stopping at verizon to see if they can return it to the photo part, and then stop at walgreens and print it out for the lawyer.. I tried emailing the photo's to lawyer but it didn't go through.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Love the smiling pic of rori , what a great lady :)

Lenora your tips about portion control are exactly what worked for me.

I often have a great social day, and my eating choices are spot on, I come home and go completely bonkers out of control :s. I now plan for this so I can put the brakes on being sidetracked like that! Portion control or a planned snack waiting for me at home can do just that. I'm not perfect, it doesn't always work but recognizing my pattern totally helps. I guess I'm kind of like a kid who has been good as gold at school--and go berserk at home- remember those kind of students, teachers??

Planning to spend the morning cleaning up my neglected side garden.

NYKAREN
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Morning, all...

Allie, seeing you looking forward to your new life is such a lift. You are an amazing human being, and when you finally step completely out from under Tom's darkness and into your future, I think you'll find yourself able to accomplish anything.

Toni, I wish I had some advice. Enablement is perhaps the strongest pattern, and the hardest to break. From my own experience, all I have is the oxygen-mask theory, as I call it. Until you take care of yourself, you can't take care of anyone else. It's a platitude, I know... but we have to get healthy in order to help anyone else. Mentally as well as physically. I had to stop blaming myself for another grown person's inability to change. Not easy.

Rori, so good to see your smiling face, and NYKAREN's, too! Hope things went well at home while you were gone, Rori, I think of you often.

My conference in Alpine went well all the way around. Three of the four funders that I was able to pitch green-lighted an application. The setup is that eight people sit around a table talking to the representative of a funding agency. Each nonprofit that's asking for money has two minutes to pitch their project or campaign and the funder says yes, please apply, or no, it's not for us, or occasionally, with some modifications, that might fit within our priorities. Basically, green, red, or yellow lighting the prospect. On the one where mine wasn't accepted, she took the time to tell everyone else at the table that my pitch was constructed very well, clear, concise, the why was outlined, and I brought clear numbers that demonstrated successful outcomes. And then she said "no." Funny... :)

July will be crazy with travel, but not for work. Just working while traveling. We leave for Alaska next Sunday morning, will be there over July 4th week. We're taking the red-eye back the following Saturday/Sunday. Then one week later, I fly out on Sunday to Montana, and fly back eight days later after a camping trip with a bunch of ladies about my age. I'll work all week both weeks while we're out, which is no biggie. Looking forward to time with family and friends, and hopefully to a quiet August!

I've got a painting session this afternoon with a bunch of friends--we'll all paint the same piece from an Internet video trainer called the Art Sherpa. If you ever wanted to try to paint, she's a terrific teacher, and you end up with some lovely pieces.

Joyce - Egg is only at about the 9-week mark... but is into everything, as well, and beginning to scratch. We found a combined scratcher, with a hanging feather, at Walmart, and get her to it any time she starts to sharpen her claws. The feather also entertains her enormously. I put an image of it below--it was about $20. So far, it's pretty successful. They also had the spray repellents for furniture that are safe for the cat and the furniture... and they're not terribly expensive. I would definitely try those before declawing.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas

58vs8mht9vt4.jpeg

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    Rori love the picture.

Joyce hope you sore heals without a doctor visit. I know with diabetes you are not taking it lightly.

DH and are are going on a garden tour today.

:heart: Margarret
  • carolyntbeigie
    carolyntbeigie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love the posts and quotes! Need all the support I can get being 50! Feel free to friend me for support we need
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday! It is finally the week before my DD's visit and YES, DJ, I am over the moon excited to see my grandson again! (For you new girls, I am a new grandma of three month old Joaquin, and they live over 1000 miles away in Burleson, TX) One of my daycare families is letting me borrow her infant car seat and base for their visit and another family is letting me borrow her vibrating bouncy seat! I have all of the other stuff he will need. (Pack n plays, bassinette, bumbo seat, exersaucer, booster seat with tray, etc). I have everything ready for the family/friends potluck dinner on Sunday the 2nd. I mowed the lawn yesterday, dead-headed my rose bushes and fed all of my plants, bought hanging plants, but the tag just read "premium hanging baskets". I didn't notice that until I got home. Any of you know what kind of plant I bought? (I will post picture at the end of my post). It was kind of a disappointing plant shopping experience. I was looking for the purple and hot pink fuscia and all they had was the pale pink and white :( , I was looking for Sunpatiens for my planter box and they weren't carrying them this year :s . So...for my planter box, I figured I would just do a mix and match box this year and plant a couple of perennials that I can replant in my yard at the end of the summer. I got a couple of small hosta plants, and a couple of pale pink balloon flowers (platycodon grandiflorus). I also planted some hot pink dipladenia (annuals) in with them for a splash of color. I think as they grow and spread/bloom, they will look very nice in the box. Part of yesterday's fun included watching my DH and DYS cut down a dead tree in the back yard. I say fun; but I lingered and watched ready to jump in as a first responder in case of injury due to chainsaw accident or tree falling on some one. It was amusing, but nerve-wracking.
    On my to do list today is powerwashing the exterior of the house and doing the windows. I will also get the stair well done and stained one evening this week. I woke up early and have my meal prep already done for the week AND it is a short week for me as I have Friday through next Wednesday off! Woo-hoo! My revamping of the interior of my house will have to wait until August or September (weekend warrior stuff). That gives me the whole month of July with only the "have-to-dos". Like mowing, house work, daycare activity planning... It will be nice to have the break from extra work.
    Welcome newbies!-This IS a very verbose group of women, but I really enjoy just popping on here and seeing what every one else is doing to keep busy, keep active and involved and the support from these ladies is phenomenal. We all know how important logging, moving, and making healthy choices is; but the mental support these ladies give is of equal, if not more, value to me! Love them all! Watch for Barbie's post at the end of this week; she will give us the link to take us into July! Remember to bookmark it once you get there!
    Allie- tiny house living appeals to me, also. IF this is the route you end up taking when this is all over, I will be very interested in how that pans out! Some how, living with less, is very appealing.
    Heather, Karen- I spend about $12/week on yogurt. I eat about a cup or cup and a half a day. Is making your own more cost effective? Also, do you know how much protein is in home made yogurt? I like the Fage, because it has 23g of protein per cup. But if I can make it in large quantities for less $$ and not lose that protein...?
    Tere Happy belated anniversary! I enjoy hearing about you and your DH and how much you seem to enjoy the time you spend together and with your family!
    Beth- Hurray for your gym success! You are an inspiration to me!
    Toni- Hang in there! Be strong! Do what you need to do to take care of YOU! Sending lots of warm hugs your way!

Here is the photo of the hanging basket. Any one know what kind of plant this is? The blossoms grow and bloom on spike like stems. They remind me of fireworks. As I was examining them and dead heading and feeding them, before hanging; I started singing the Katy Perry, Firework song. My DYS said "Mom. Please. Stop." Ah, I feel the love.wc3rxkfth724.jpg

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Happy Sunday!

I’ve been reading everyone’s posts – hugs where needed!

I will have to make this quick. Puppy is asleep. I need to be outside in a few minutes, currently in the house catching up on things in the kitchen; DH is outside trying to finish up cleaning out a flower bed so he can beauty bark it next week.

When we got up this morning, I opened all the windows to let cool air in. Starting to close them now as the thermometer is going to start rising sharply. Tomorrow the predicted high is 75! 97 today. Counting blessings as the A/C is working. Several years ago, we had a streak of several days up to 105 and the thing pooped out. So we slept in front of fans, damp towels draped over legs, etc.

Too hot to cook so yesterday was snack all day long, eat ice cream, etc. Might order a pizza delivery for supper today so don’t have to take the car out of the garage and heat it up!

Puppy is doing well, very energetic! That’s good – it means she’s healthy, right? She’s doing well with the housebreaking – I find a puddle now and then in the kitchen even with trying to watch her every second she’s awake, but it’s easy to clean up. My cleaner only uses a “swiffer” type mop so it’s probably cleaner in spots than it’s been in a long time.

Barbie – sorry your dog walker didn’t show up. Do you have another option?

Allie – hope things get moving along now with Tom seeing an attorney. You are so kind to care for his family so much…and him as well. I commend you for remaining calm. I’m the type that would find out his squeeze’s address, and hire a moving truck to load up his crap and dump it on HER front lawn. >:)

Becca – you are so sweet to get up early to help walk Annabelle. Definitely a way to get steps in! And how nice you were able to spend time with the gal from the transplant office and her fiancé and son…. And the visit from DH’s friend and Chinese leftovers….my favorite! Sweet of her to give you a wonderful gift.

TNT Toni – The idea of changing ourselves, our lifestyle when we are older is HUGE. I am so glad you are seeing a counselor! It’s understandable that you want and need to protect your financial resources as you get older. If you haven’t done so already, I’d see an attorney and see what you can legally do to keep assets secure. It’s very hard when he’s a “nice guy” but has this bad habit regarding money.

Dana – the pie looks yummy! When I get on the floor to do stretches, our older dog starts piling her toys on me. Hope you are able to continue with the yoga!

Keep cool everyone!

Lanette
    SUNNY SW WA State
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    884476u1paf0t68z.gif
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all!
    Here is the photo of the hanging basket. Any one know what kind of plant this is? The blossoms grow and bloom on spike like stems. They remind me of fireworks. As I was examining them and dead heading and feeding them, before hanging; I started singing the Katy Perry, Firework song. My DYS said "Mom. Please. Stop." Ah, I feel the love.wc3rxkfth724.jpg

Looks like a geranium to me!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dana: I have been taking yoga for years & I sure can't do that. That photo is soooo impressive. Wow! :star:

Sue in WA: We had a travel trailer years ago & taught ourselves to maneuver it in a big, empty parking lot. It takes time and practice, and it is not sensible to start a 16 year-old kid in a crowded private parking lot with narrow aisles. Mom is a good person and was trying, but that was very poor judgment. The boy was more upset than I was. :grumble: It will be a very costly repair & I imagine their insurance rates will go up. Luckily the frame was undamaged. Thanks for the pvc pipe idea for making blueberry cages. We're considering it. :flowerforyou:

Sue: I am sorry about the macular degeneration but happy it is the type that is less worrisome. :heart:

Toni in TN: Gambling is an addiction. I had a student years ago whose mom was in prison for embezzling money to support her gambling addiction. Stepdad had custody of the boy. I found a link that might help you. Perhaps you already know about this group. www.gamblersanonymous.org

Becca: What a lovely friendship you've developed with the woman who used to check your DH in to the transplant office at OSHU. I'm happy that you had such a lovely time together. :flowerforyou:

We're still hassling with the company who supposedly fixed the raccoon damage under our house. They're sending someone out to correct the mistakes next week and DH just wrote them a nasty gram. I hope it doesn't lead us to a lawsuit. I just want it done, and done right.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"That which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." Friedrich Nietzsche

• Mauitn
    Mauitn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies. I’m off to Church and later have a meeting with a social committee to discuss the decorations for y community’s 4th of July celebration. Need to get some house cleaning done as well. Thanks for all the welcomes.

I have tracked my meals for three days. That is something I need to keep up. I plan to try meal planning and prep during the coming week to see if that keeps me on tract and under calories.

DJ, I haven’t fried chicken in many years. And now, I’m finding it harder and harder to cook so many things I use to make, because I tend to make simple things that are easy to prepare for one person. You do forget how if you don’t do things regularly.
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi folks! Just checking in. Still at the lake house. Reunion was good. It didn't rain on us and the cloudy weather kept us cool. My sister is here doing the cooking and I'm letting her. So - I'm not eating according to my plan. I'll get back to it and probably with renewed motivation.

-- Ginger in Texas
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    afternoon to those on the East Coast, and good morning or evening to all the others~
    I left the house at about 6:15 and got to Stop and Shop early and there was this adorable little patio set 2 padded rockers and a table.. that was on sale for 133.00 so I said to myself... now Al you can use this at dads as a little living room set in spare room,or when and if Tiny house living room.. so when I got to check out they rang it up for me, now the lady rung up a 6 piece set by mistake(or not) and with the bonus off I got it for 93.79 :D .
    So came home put groceries away and went to walgreens, there was someone there who showed me how to do screen shots and got the pictures of texts and Elana that I wanted ,will drop those off tomorrow morning...
    I know things will be getting down and dirty soon and this is the calm before the storm.. I am just hoping guilt kicks in and I make out better than I expect..
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Getting ready to go into Knott's Berry Farm. The visit with my sister yesterday went well. My mom and niece were both teary when we left, but my mom seems fine now. We went to the beach after and forgot sunscreen, so we are all burnt. Slathering up this morning.

I had a chocolate milkshake at In N Out last night for dinner, so yesterday's calories were definitely maintenance calories. Back on track today.

I hope all is well. I haven't been able to read any posts here, but I have continued to log my food, milkshake and all.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all!

Looks like a geranium to me!

I agree. Maybe a Martha Washington or scented.
  • Mauitn
    Mauitn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat, I am lucky enough to have found a lady who will come and walk my dog one, multi times a day and even live in if I need to be away over night or on extended trips. She doesn’t charge much more than boarding for over night and my dog is in her own home with her same schedule and not in a cage. I hope you can find someone like that.

Dana, that blueberry pie looked luscious!

Rori, love the two smiling faces.

KJLaMore, take lots of pictures of that new grandson.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options