WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :) I was up at 4 AM to have time for breakfast, meditation, spiritual reading, and dog walking....home by 7:30 with 10,000 steps...worked in the front yard for about 90 minutes until it got too warm...then laundry, lunch..and now a nap.

:)Allie, Are you familiar with the Minimalists? They have books and a podcast. What they talk about would be perfect for you if you are aiming to spend you life in a tiny house.

:)Machka, what an awesome cycling adventure

:)Mauitn, we have a great dog walker but he'll be out of town when we need him next month so we were hoping to find another.

<3 Barbie
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday friends.
    Rori-love the pic with Karen. Looks like a beautiful place to walk.
    Dana-your pie looks wonderful. Makes my mouth water. Lol
    Yes, it's a geranium. There is a variety that is called a trailing geraniums and it looks like that.
    Our pastor is leaving after today and almost everyone in congregation was crying. He is going to a bigger church so we are happy for him but sad for us.
    Not much going on today...may take a nap zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    SueBDew in TX
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Today I froze two of the Chinese food boxes, and will fry up a piece of Bacon, along with two scrambled eggs to add to the pork fried rice. I saw no hint of egg, and the bacon will hopefully make it abit more mixable. And maybe son will eat it!

Got to bed at midnight, but husband stayed up until 1:30am to watch a series he is into. Sadly, our cable box is shot, so we cannot record anything. Watching TV the old fashioned way!

Today I took out pits from some dark cherries I got from the food bank. I am cooking them with some raw sugar,water and cornstarch. Hoping it will look fruit compote-ly and I will freeze it. Then next month buy some pie crusts, to make little cherry tarts, or pastry dough to make cherry turnovers.
    rwb4utl86i0y.jpg
    s88toyza4sv4.jpg
    The cherries were really sweet, so I blanched them, so I could remove the pits easier. What I do so my food bank fruits dont spoil!

Well a lazy day here, the apartment smells of sweet cherry juice! When I was a child we had a cherry tree. During the cherries ripening phase, we would try to pick the ripe ones before the birds got at them, but it was a really tall tree! It was situated on one of our lawns that had three walnut trees. Pretty much just a fun tree that our tire swing hung from, and it supported our two platforms we played from, and swung from. Towards the end of its ripening phase, my father mowed over more cherries than he wanted to, the birds still pecked at ftruit so ripe it was alcoholic! So we'd sit and watch birds getting drunker, and man what a comedy routine THAT was!!!

Hugs
    Becca
    With reddish nails from cherries in
    Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

Plyometric exercises- 30.44min,, 3sets of 10each, burpees, squats, stationary running lunges, single leg toe touches, ceiling to fl single leg touches w8# weight, squats w/jump, push-ups, hamstring leglifts, reverse bicycles, leg lifts n spread, crunches, sit-ups w/8# weight,, all 4's elbow to knee, on bk, pelvic lifts w/8#weight, 40sec side plank, and 4min jump rope, 154mhr = 624c
    apple. watch- 253c
    other- dumping gool, playing /yogi- 21.12min, 100c

total cal 362
  • jennymo
    jennymo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello all.
    I had a very good day yesterday. After feeling upset at myself yesterday morning I walked with my cousin down to the sea walk that we have in our town. There is a chainsaw carving competition going on and it was fun to watch all the talented men and women carving awesome statues with nothing but chainsaws. If I can figure out how to do it I'll get some photos and try to post on this site.
    The competition is over today but the carvings stay at the site for about a month and it's a great tourist attraction. After that community businesses buy them and display them, the money going back to make it all happen again next year. This has been going on for 20 years.
    Anyway we wondered around and we went into a consignment store and I found a dress that fit perfectly and best of all it had just been marked down 50%. An even better deal.
    With all that wondering and walking there and back we had walked 4 miles and just over 10,000 steps.
    When I got home I went onto the deck (it was pretty hot by then) and just relaxed. Instead of snacking I drank my water and ate on schedule.
    Today, I walked around town with hubby and went to our local farmers market. We did 12,340 steps and 4.87 miles.
    I am home now doing a bit of laundry as it's so warm I can get clothes hung out and they'll dry quick, then I will get my book and get out to the deck again.
    I have logged my food today and feel I am back in control.
    Stay cool everyone that is experiencing the heat.
    Jenn from BC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Jenn from BC ...you've done great this weekend!

Kelly ... geranium family it is!

I've done a lot more outside work that I anticipated this weekend and my muscles are screaming. I thought it would be fun to turn our new tree stump (courtesy of winter storms that knocked over a 40 foot pine) into a planter (google tree stump planters) ... umm ... my son and husband aren't too thrilled with me right now. It's a LOT of work to get a hollow in the top of the stump that's deep enough to hold plants. They're still working on it... well my son is working on it and his dad is supervising ... and they have used every tool in our arsenal!

Husband is not doing well at all with his back/leg issues. Can only walk about 100 feet at a time and then everything goes numb in his legs. Preliminary report from Thursday indicate he will need more extensive surgery. This will be the third one this year! To be fair to the surgeon, he has been very conservative in his approach ... which my husband asked for ... but now he'll be looking at rods and pins. Don't have a surgery date yet, but I'm in overdrive trying to get things done while my son is home from school and before I need to deal with my husband's recovery.

Beth
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm in bed at my DSIL's. Too tired right now to talk, but I only over ate by 200 (not over maintenance) and had 4 units. That's more units than I intended, but much better than it would once have been. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all!
    Here is the photo of the hanging basket. Any one know what kind of plant this is? The blossoms grow and bloom on spike like stems. They remind me of fireworks. As I was examining them and dead heading and feeding them, before hanging; I started singing the Katy Perry, Firework song. My DYS said "Mom. Please. Stop." Ah, I feel the love.wc3rxkfth724.jpg

Looks like a geranium to me!

I agree, the hanging, trailing variety. You can probley tell by the distinctive smell of the leaves.

Chris in MA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    KJ A cup of Fage has 23g protein. One cup of milk has 8g of protein. So it takes 3 cups of milk to make 1 cup of Fage yogurt. If you eat 1 or 1.5 cups of yogurt per day, you will need 1.5 - 2 gallons of milk per week which should be less than $12 unless you are buying really expensive milk. You will have to strain off most of the whey to get a high protein product. I hope this helps.

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Went on the what they called a Garden Stroll today with DH on the street they built the mansion on in the 1890-1920. The red roses reminded of my mother. The clematis I thought was spectacular. They didn't have as many figurines. I did like the small building that looked like it could come from Russia.
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    :)
    Sarah
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele – Louis says he pressure washes it and most comes off. He says that some use muriatic acid (but this can leave stains, so he doesn’t use it). He said he would probably use a mild soap solution if pressure washing with just plain water doesn’t do it. Just need to stand back away from the house so the pressure will not damage the grout or cracks in the brick. One good thing about ‘red’ clay vs. ‘gray’ muck like in Louisiana is ‘when it dries it will clump off’’. If you use the muriatic acid, you’d need to come back and rinse it off. Plain water will not hurt shrubbery. He’s not sure about what muriatic acid would do, that’s why he doesn’t use it, just some Dawn soap.

Thanks for reminding me, it had ‘slipped my mind’. Sorry!

Dana – My sister said she was ‘really close’ to giving her Brittany away when she decided to give ‘obedience classes’ a chance. Said it was like having a totally different dog, and she’d recommend it to anyone with a stubborn animal that won’t do what you want it to you. Worth the time AND money. But, you have to be willing to put it into practice. Her instructor was a retired Marine/dog handler, so she really felt good with him. She said, also you have to be ‘stern’ and use a ‘stern voice’. Turning around and going the opposite direction, sometimes doing this over and over … will let the dog know that he/she is not the only one who can pull and drag someone else. Short lease and a choke collar when training them, as well.
    Blueberry pie looks ‘to die for’. YUMMY! Checked on the figs at Vern’s house, he said watch them; but, probably around July 4th – 7th. His trees are LOADED this year. I think I am going to ask him if I could have a cutting or two. I think they are easy to root, and, they grow fast. My former boss’s Dad gave us a couple that he had started growing in a ½ whiskey barrel. They grew a good foot or two in a year. The lady that bought out house had them taken out.

Rori – The few times that Tux has come in the house, he has never scratched at anything, not even the carpet. Our ‘first’ cat jumped up on my kitchen counter and before she was up there good I taught her a lesson in flying. She never did it again. At least not in front of me. She was sort of an inside/outside cat. Will was about 6 when he wanted a kitten. Looked in the paper for some ‘free’ kittens; and, we went and picked out one. I have found when choosing animals that ‘if’ they allow me to put them on their backs in my hands, they are normally a lot calmer than one that won't. Tux likes to be held; and, Cracker crawls up my chair to get in my lap. When Louis isn’t paying attention to her, she’ll ‘talk’ to him, if he answers, she gets so excited she leaps up in his lap. She has become his ‘little shadow’ in-and-out of the house all the time. When I get my car back, I need to take her to get her rattlesnake booster and then turn around and get Tux his rabies shot.

Joyce – They have a little toy (friend of mine had one), that has a little red light and if he cat was about to scratch on something, she would turn it on, and wave it around, which got the cat off her wanting to scratch things. It was funny to watch her.

Cracker had her first injury to her foot within a month of me getting her. She was doing as Luna and chasing Will’s truck and ran into the wheel. If he had ‘run over her’ like he said he did, it would have killed her. Then about the time she was begging to walk on it, she got a rose thorn or some sort of big thorn, then she ‘stubbed’ her pad, and split in the nail all the way back to past the quick, all within a year. Her nails on her left paw, grown all over the place. Vet does not want me to have them done at the PetSmart store when I get her groomed, he says he needs to be the one doing it. Louis asked him about declawing that foot and he told him ‘no’ because it would affect it and maybe make her limp worse. Said that it makes their pads tenderer. As it is, as long as we keep them clipped, she seems to do fine. Louis clipped them last time and she jerked and he cut into the quick. I can’t do it, just holding her makes me want to ‘toss my cookies’. But, $35 to get them ‘clipped’ seems very excessive for the time it takes, that is why Louis told me to buy a clipper and we’d do it ourselves. If you cut them too short and they bleed, putting their paw into ‘backing starch’ will stop the bleeding. {The ‘thickening’ type of starch – Maybe the name is ARGO; but, it comes in a bright yellow plastic container}. I use it all the time when I am making gravy, so we always have it ‘on hand’. Because her weight in on the 2 middle toes, he says that it would probably affect her gait. Those grow sideways, one into the pad of the other, one on one side grows up; the other one is fairly straight by also seems to grow inward. She ‘can’ walk on it and does; but, she has gotten to the point that she’ll put it down about every 3rd or 4th stride. Also, when someone ‘new’ comes in the house … she ‘works it’ to get more attention (if you can even ignore her). She plays it to the hilt.

NYKaren – I find if I put the normal portion on a salad plate; I find myself thinking ‘good grief, I can’t eat all this’! Then I am very proud that I can go back and change my previous pre-track amounts.

Weekend are hard on me, if I don’t feel like getting up on the treadmill or we go ‘out to eat’ and I wasn’t expecting to and I have ‘eaten something in the middle of the day’.

KJ – I don’t know exactly what it is; but, it is definitely in the ‘geranium’ family. These can be annuals or they can be perennials, depending on the type and where you live. When the blossoms die back, you need to ‘dead head’ them or else they will get very leggy and not very pretty. I’ve had ‘good’ luck AND ‘bad’ luck with geraniums. Whenever I buy a plant at a place like “Lowe’s” or at “Publix” … the first thing I do is repot it to the next size up. Otherwise, because they are so pot bound with roots, they will die sometimes.

Oleander has flowers that look similar; but, that is a shrub/tree …; but, they have slender leaves. The Oleander shrub is beautiful; however, it is poisonous in all its parts. My Mother went to a wedding when she was much younger, and, saw that they had them in a frozen ring in the punch. She grabbed the bowl and told someone else to grab all the cups that had been filled. Thankfully, nobody had drank any of it. It is one of the most poisonous commonly grown garden plants. My DDnL#2, out in Louisiana, has been digging hers up as fast as they come back. Cut them all the way down to the ground. They have shoots that come up. Beautiful plant, nice and thick for hedges; but, animals and small children don’t know not to get near it or they are attracted to the flowers. The leaves to your plant are like geraniums as well as the clustered flower; so that is what I would guess it would be. Deadheading the flowers as soon as they are ‘spent’ will help and it might bloom again. The yellow leaves, if that is the color, should be cut back; I can’t tell if it is the sun shining through that makes it look like some are turning yellow.

Lanette – That’s funny about moving Tom’s stuff to his “Kissy Poo’s” house. I sort of have that ‘I don’t get mad; I get even’ type of personality. Sometimes it is a lot more noticeable than at other times or situations. I’ve learned to keep my temper under control; but, the last time I had this feeling was when I got transferred to another facility for my ‘bipolar episode’ by a 'mean-spirited' doctor, when all I had wanted was to 'go home' because I knew my family would have treated me better than I was being treated in the hospital.

I did GET EVEN with the doctor, she thought that people who have a ‘mental disorder’ must be ‘stupid’. I’m NOT! I took her before the Composite State Board of Medical Examiners. I did not succeed in having her license pulled; but, I did the next best thing. It will forever be on her record and she doesn't have hospital privileges and has been bounced around and can't keep a job for very long. She is definitely 'in the wrong line of practice'. Either that or she had a real problem with mistreating others. By the time I got finished with her, she had lost her ‘hospital privileges’; they did not renew her contract. My DDnL#1’s niece has been going to her and was deemed to be ‘bipolar’. Actually, she has been suicidal and suffering from depression and she put her on PROZAC. I was put on it and within 9 days, I was ‘in the hospital’. All it did was ‘get me to a Psychiatrist’ that could diagnose me properly. When Jenn found out that her niece was seeing her, she told her to find out what she needed to do to get in to see my MD, in Macon (not quite 2 hours away). I will NOT be seen or have any psychiatrist in the SW GA area be consulted if I end up in the hospital. If they ‘think’ my problem is something related to my bipolar disorder; then Louis can check me out and drive me there. He’s done it before.

Sue and Katla – A parking lot is the most dangerous place to be, in a car; people disregard the parking directions, they pull through to the other side, so that they have to go down the wrong way to get out. Then, what’s worse is they drive across them like crazy, as if they are on their own little parking lot, usually doing 40mph or more.

I would guess that my DBnL has a ‘gambling problem’. He’s won some big amounts on ‘scratch off’ tickets; but, I wonder how much he has paid to do so. He has stacks of them piled up on the sofa table. I guess he puts all the information in and sends them in for a ‘2nd chance drawing’ (which he has won before). He buys the $10, $15, and $20 tickets, too.

I’m still hassling the Windows World company who sold us our windows. The installation of them, according to what he told us when we signed the contract, was going to be ‘supervised by him personally’ and it wasn’t. They were supposed to bring the wood here yesterday (Saturday). I will be calling first thing on Monday. IF I get another freaking lie, I am going to call every BBB in the SW GA area and file complaints. I might not get them 'repaired'; but, I'll make a 'royal @$$' of myself in the process.

WOW! Allie – Sounds like you got a ‘deal’. I went to Belk’s yesterday because I had some ‘rewards points’ to cash in. I got a pair of Bob’s (‘free’) after the discount and my coupons; then, got a ‘top’ (“free”); and, still have over $8 to use. Then they had a raffle, so I entered it, and won. So, I decided that 3 was the charm and I needed to stop while the ‘going was good’. LOL!!!! I love it when I get a ‘bargain’.

Felicia – We always have a bottle of ‘aloe’ in the refrigerator to put on, if we have too much sun. It’s a ‘shock’ when you put it on; but, it takes the ‘burning sensation’ out of your skin.

Becca – My BF and I would climb up in the cherry tree on the grounds of the First Methodist Church in town and would eat them until out bellies hurt. We once made a cherry pie for our boyfriends; beautiful pie … until we realized that we had NOT pitted the cherries. Oh well, they never knew. We had a lot of ‘cooking skills’ on things that we made up our own recipes to; some turned out good … other’s didn’t.
    I’ve seen people use a plastic straw over a coke bottle to pit them.

Margaret – Unfortunately, I was unable to open the pictures for some reason. I am sure they were all beautiful!

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Toni - This is how I felt from the time I was first diagnosed at the age of 36 with Bipolar Disorder until I 'put it down on paper'. By the time I finished the poem in 1997; I knew that I was going to be 'retired on a disability'. I learned how to put myself ahead of a lot of things and maybe more importantly a lot of people. I did entertain a lot of angels and yes; I was most 'unware' at the time. My boss had made arrangements for me to be allowed to borrow from the 'leave bank' and others in the District had donated all their extra leave time to me and it meant that by doing so, I became 'vested' in my job and did not lose a paycheck until my disability came through a year later. In your life you will make choices that some think are wrong; but, more than anything ... it IS VERY IMPORTANT that you be 'good to yourself first'. Take the first piece of pie, if necessary. What is important to me? God, Louis, my sons, my granddaughters, my DDsnL, friends, and strangers. Pretty much, in that order. I don't have to include 'co-workers' since it has been more than 20 years since I have had one.

The psychiatrist I go to, now, asked me to think back and try to remember when I felt like somehow things were different for me. It did not take me long and I answered ... in my early teens. My grandmother (paternal) and an aunt on that side were bipolar; my mother was someone who expected the best of us. Not to be perfect; but, to be 'the best we could be'. They kept us very busy doing things we liked. For me, it was taking 'art lessons' and I had some of the 'best teachers' money could buy.

--The Flavor of Me—

My life as I see it is some sort of Pie –
    The question I have is -- “What flavor am I?”
    Each piece I have given with love don’t you see?
    Now I turn and I find – There’s NO Piece For Me!
    (Written in 1987)

“You’re Selfish!” – You say; but I laugh when you do!
    If I’m NOT Good to ME – I Can’t BE to YOU!
    My feelings are valid – Acknowledge – Don’t Kill”
    No room to express them – “That’s No Way to DEAL!”

They’re not Right! They’re not Wrong! Allow me to Feel!
    Be Me! Be Myself! – And to know that I’m REAL!
    I’ve thought about walking – Just saying “Good-bye!”
    I’m New and Improved – I’m Much Better – NO Lie!

Chameleon – This Woman! – I change with each Day!
    New spice – different Flavor – same Pie! You Don’t say!!!
    You don’t like it? – Too Bad! – I’m sorry! – That’s Tough!
    There’s someone who’ll take me – Who can’t get ENOUGH!!!

My question of Life? – This Magnificent Pie?
    The question to Ponder – “What flavor am I?”
    The Answer? The Flavor? It’s Simple, you see!
    The first Damn piece will go DIRECTLY to ME!
    (Written in September, 1989)

The flavor of Life? It’s both bitter and sweet!
    I’ve added New Spice – By the People I Meet!
    “You’re friends with THAT person? HOW DO YOU DARE?”
    “Because I’ve entertained ANGELS!!!! MOST – UNAWARE!”
    (Written in October, 1997)

Lenora M. André ©
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    re that ring looks so happy to be back on your hand, so great that it was found! Great to read up on you :) Keep on keepin' on,
    NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    15,000 steps
    170 minutes walking Sasha and Bessie
    60 minutes riding the exercise bike
    110 minutes working in the yard