WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Greetings ladies! After a really hot day yesterday, we were also to have another one today! But strangely it has been blessedly cool. My husband has been mowing the jungle we call a lawn.

Oh to the friend here with diabetes and a sore toe...you are very wise to treat this as serious! I have been doctoring various little sores and hurts on my feet for years. It takes me months to get them under control. Many trips to the wound care nurse!!!! They just happen. I try to keep my blood sugar under good control but these darn things just keep happening. So...caution is your watch word. You already know about all this, I am sure. I guess I am just saying, you are not alone, my friend.

Here is our best friend and pal Katie, the labradoodle. She keeps us movin and groovin!
    Patsy, in Astoria
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did 70 minutes of a Fit Body Yoga DVD. Boy, am I out of shape doing yoga! How I wish there was a yoga class around here! The plan for tomorrow is to do a segment of the Blast Off Belly Fat DVD, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Dana - you are so lucky to be able to FaceTime with your daughter. That's just mean to show us that blueberry pie....lol We've never had a problem with the cats not wanting to use their litter box. At first you do need to use this special litter just because it's in larger pieces and it won't get in their paws. But that doesn't last very long at all. We've never had a problem at all, and we've had cats for over 20 years.

Made garlic bread for Jess to have with the lasagna that I made for her, then made some chocolate bran muffins for me, now I'm making some brownies for Vince to have later in the week. Have a load of laundry in the dryer. Don't I lead a real exciting life????? LOL

Joyce - I'm sorry about the sore on your foot. Take care. Let's hope it doesn't get worse. And please, don't be worried about having to declaw Mr. Mozart. All our cats (past and present) have been declawed and there's been no problem at all. They can climb trees, take down rabbits, mice, and other creatures. They can certainly fend for themselves. Vince has said many times that if they weren't declawed, they'd be dead because he'd kill them for scratching on things like his speakers. They still scratch on scratching posts. Actually, Bonnie is still somewhat of a biter, but we know why. That's because she's so small and in the wild she had to fight for her food. But she's gotten a lot better.

Rori - what a great picture!

Becca - what a very sweet thing for that lady in the transplant office to do!

The Wii showed a slight gain from yesterday. But I know what's the cause. Jess likes to eat late at night. So we ate late. Whenever I eat dinner real late, that's a recipe for a gain. It'll come off after a few days of not eating at night.

KJ - I've asked this many times and no one's responded to me. So I'm asking you. How did you get the picture to be large? I can only get that small thumbnail. What's the secret?

I'm thinking that I won't go to mahjongg tomorrow night. See, Bob (the Newcomer who just came home from the hosp. and his wife is still there) needs help walking his dog and doing a bit of other things. So I'm thinking I'll stay at ceramics late tomorrow, then go to Bob's to walk the dog. Vince said that I should go earlier since I really don't know the neighborhood, which is true. He needs to take the dog to the vet so we'll probably go Wed. after the Board meeting. I need to coordinate this with him. Update: from the original email, I thought they were just looking for someone to walk the dog this Monday only, now I find out that they mean EVERY Monday. Well, mahjongg is only a game. Besides, I may be able to go for a little while after tomorrow when I get to know his area.

Alison - good going on that furniture

Mauitn - we like having our cats in their own home when we go away (unless we take them with us). Jess does dog sitting, either in her house or she has gone and stayed at the client's house

Jenn - I love to get bargains. Kudos to you

Beth - I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. Hope your husband recovers from his surgery fast. Please keep us updated as you know more.

NYKaren - good luck on the job interview!

Lenora - Louis must have a pretty powerful pressure washer. I'm going to try using ours again, hope it comes off. We have muriatic acid for the pool..and I know that's some mean stuff. Probably wouldn't even attempt to use it. Have no idea what it would do to the drain, either.

Margaret - beautiful pictures

Re - how wonderful that your ring was found. Beautiful ring. I like rings that aren't real gaudy or fancy. Sometimes (most of the time) plain is prettiest. You're doing so well on your plank and will only be getting better

Jess left and then I went in the pool. It started to get cloudy and I was afraid it would rain so I didn't stay in that long. It didn't rain, tho.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    <3
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Patsy I love your Labradoodle!! So cute!!

Katla Yes, Jessica, DD, has been doing yoga a long time. She is very good!! She goes for more training every chance she gets. You can see some pictures on Instagram. @menderyogi
    She had another account with 100's of neat pictures but it has hacked.

My show is on! Preacher on AMC. My DH thinks it's silly and gorey but I like it.

Dana in Arkansas

DD Jessica at Panama City Beach:
    cr31pecjjcfi.png
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Tired tonight and have to work tomorrow. Have a great evening and/or day tomorrow.
    Hugs ladies. Take care of yourselves.

Paula Y.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Re, I a, so glad you are back. I never knew who I was from day to day . You always gav us a different title every day.

I have seen commercial on the show the preacher and don't think I would like it. I was a preachers kid and very proud of my Dads profession and what he was in e community.

Speaking of preachers and moving. Dad always told us at least the week before that he would be reading a letter of resignation. As we got older, we knew what a search committee was and recognize when they came to church and also recognized the private talks with both Mom and Dad. Also when I was in my own churches, I recognized that heavy sigh as he read that letter to his church. I knew from the sigh that so,eating bad was coming. Yes, it is an opportunity for your minister but quite a devastation for the church's. Well, some times it wa a relief. There were times when we would move that Mom would not unpack totally because she just knew Dad wouldn't stay very long. There was only one church that I knew it was a bad fit. Dad was. To only allowing black people in the church but encouraging them. The church gave him an ultimatum, leave or be fired. So he took a little church in Southern Illinios. But it made him much closer to where I was in nursing school and my sister and BIL lived. And no, they didn't stay here long. I hate it when a congreGation follows a minister to wherever he goes. They aren't in he church for the right thing. They have idolized the minister.

It seems like our membership goes down and down every Sunday. But we had a good children's group there and the youth really, really helped out with Vacation Bible School. We had a big youth group every night. Well n out pretty church, big means 10. Gave them good experience. Our choir sang a Southern Gospel song this morning. Not my pick but we try to sing different genres of songs to meet the needs of all the members. We do get very good response when we sing the Southern Gospel.

My eyes are beginning to leave their socket and find the pillow so I guess I should follow. Joyce, indiana
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    <3
    Sarah
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Greetings to everyone!

We got back from our weekend getaway late last night. I enjoyed Friday and Saturday, but in the early hours of the morning on Sunday either had food poisoning or a stomach bug. I spent Sunday in the hotel in bed. I still don't feel great, so am not going to try and read through to catch up.

The up side? Sunday helped offset any damage from enjoying the first two days!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Re ... good to see you!

Leigh ... hope you're soon feeling better ... there are other ways to balance your diet!! ;)

Kelly ... Joaquin is getting big! Such a cutie!

Sunny but cool here today. Plan to get to the gym and hope to do some more yard chores after I get home from work.

Beth
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday to All! :)

Re ~ I'm glad the injections are helping your knee. Unfortunately, they did not help mine very much. I am thinking about going to a different Ortho doctor.

Kelly ~ As usual, you are on busy lady. Know you are so excited about the upcoming visit. Joaquin's hair is amazing and he is a lovely boy.

Joyce ~ When we were first married we joined a Methodist Church (I grew up Baptist) only because we liked the pastor so much. The church sent him packing soon after we joined so our membership there did not last too long.

I went to bed around 10 last night and was still awake at 4 AM. Finally went to sleep. I did not get up because I had been watching movies all day and did not want to read or be on the computer. Hope tonight is better.

Carol in GA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Re happy day finding your beautiful ring!

I agree with Lenora about deadheading the geranium. You get more blooms that way. I looked it up it is called an ivy geranium because the leaves are shaped like ivy.

Kelly thanks for the Joaquan fix.

Sleeping better and weight is starting to go down.
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Posting pictures: To post a picture that will display the image click on the icon on the far right of the menu.
    kvojbnq322t0.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Jenn from BC ...you've done great this weekend!

Kelly ... geranium family it is!

I've done a lot more outside work that I anticipated this weekend and my muscles are screaming. I thought it would be fun to turn our new tree stump (courtesy of winter storms that knocked over a 40 foot pine) into a planter (google tree stump planters) ... umm ... my son and husband aren't too thrilled with me right now. It's a LOT of work to get a hollow in the top of the stump that's deep enough to hold plants. They're still working on it... well my son is working on it and his dad is supervising ... and they have used every tool in our arsenal!

Husband is not doing well at all with his back/leg issues. Can only walk about 100 feet at a time and then everything goes numb in his legs. Preliminary report from Thursday indicate he will need more extensive surgery. This will be the third one this year! To be fair to the surgeon, he has been very conservative in his approach ... which my husband asked for ... but now he'll be looking at rods and pins. Don't have a surgery date yet, but I'm in overdrive trying to get things done while my son is home from school and before I need to deal with my husband's recovery.

Beth

Thinking of u n hubby
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    319237v4ndtb09xz.gif
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Back from our visit.
    Did not sleep well, so I'm very tired, but I've had a nap. Got to make Spinach and Feta Pie for DH in a minute for him to take on future cricket days. Though I think it's going to rain for most of it, so he may be home for dinners after all. Poor love. <3:'(

I was starving when I went to bed last night and quite judgmental over the food that had been on offer. :o:*;) I'm over it now. Over all it was a lovely get together and so good to see DH's 91 year old aunt again. She is off to Canada to see her son this week.all by herself. Very hard to get insurance, but she found a good deal in the end. She is noticeably more frail than last year, though still firing on all cylinders.

Having lunch at the pub tomorrow after yoga with the friend who does all the hiking and cycling. Will have my usual salmon and veggies. :D Plumber will be coming early morning about the leak under the sink and DH will do a food shop. They attempted to deliver my Instant Pot today, but we weren't here. Hope someone is in when it comes tomorrow. Getting excited.

Off to cook now. I will probably have my Asian soup tonight as DH isn't here. Filling and low calorie. And HOT!!!

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: I hope you get a fair deal in the divorce. To me, that would be at least 50% of all assets and future retirement benefits. Good luck! :heart:

Felicia: I hope your trip is memorable in all sorts of good ways. We've had a hot spell but this morning it is beautifully over cast and cooler. YAY! :flowerforyou:

Becca: I love the mental image of birds drunk from eating overripe cherries. Thanks! :bigsmile:

Jenn from BC: It sounds as though you had a lovely weekend. I would love to have seen the chainsaw carving competition, but I'll bet it was noisy while they were all at work. :star:

Beth: Congratulations on all the effort it took to do your outside work and create a planter from your tree stump. I'm sorry that your DH needs more surgery. I hope it is a big success and makes his life better. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Enjoy yourself at DSIL's place. :smiley:

Re: Congratulations on all of your success AND DH finding your ring. :bigsmile:

Patsy in Astoria: It is much cooler here today, and I'll bet it is cooler in Astoria, too. I live about 65 miles upriver from there. Your dog is a cutie. :star:

Machka: I admire your fitness and persistence. Congratulations on an amazing ride. :flowerforyou:

It is cooler and overcast today. YAY! We needed some relief from the heat. The raccoon abatement people were supposed to be here today to finish the job correctly, but I'm not sure that today will really be the day. We need to call and check on the details. We paid big bucks for this job, and it needs to be done right.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison