Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    We'd fight and never loose lose...

(LOL. Couldn't resist. ;) )
    Bwahahaha!! :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Never mind.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    LucasLean wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    tiasommer wrote: »
    Do you have complete confidence that every chemical in your food Is safe for regular, repeated consumption? More power to ya. They said DDT was safe at one point. They said cigarettes were good for your health. They said BPA was safe. No one is saying if it's natural it's automatically safe, as in Hemlock. But you seem to be saying that chemicals are to be unquestionably trusted?

Every product has an inherent risk/reward.

DDT is singly responsible for saving countless lives due to malaria reduction. Was it worth the risk? Scientific evidence says yes. Media hyperbole says no.

No hall of science ever stated that cigarettes were good for you health. This is hyperbolic and patently false.

BPA is safe in the regulated dosage and form and a critical binding agent used in several medical products. Don't confuse scientific output with media hyperbole.

DDT is banned because it killed animals, such as bald eagles, pet dogs, osprey and other animals. Banning it helped save the bald eagle from getting killed by its use. It wasn't worth the risk since it's now banned in the US. The negative effects far outweighed the positive ones. That's why we no longer use it. I'm glad that DDT is banned as it has polluted rivers and killed fish and contaminated everything and killed everything in its path. There obviously are safer pesticides and that's what we use today. There were more risks than rewards.

Educating yourself on the subject would help. I learned about it in chemistry classes and then read about it on my own to understand it further. I've never heard of people defending its use until now.

Nope - do some research on the subject yourself. There was never any study performed that linked DDT to any of the effects that you quote. It was banned because the president of the Audubon Society read a book called 'Silent Spring' (a fiction work that people chose to accept as gospel) and decided that DDT was going to cause the death of all of the insects and there by cause the death of all animals on the planet. The Audubon society then put pressure on the head of the EPA (who at the time was also on the board of the Audubon society) and the head of the EPA over-ruled his own scientists (who recommended that DDT not be banned because they couldn't establish the link to animal deaths/disease/etc) and banned DDT.

As to the more risks than rewards - tell that to the millions of people who have died from malaria since DDT was banned - since DDT has always been the single most effective pesticide that has been developed to kill mosquitos and nothing in our present arsenal has ever been as effective.

Neither of you posted sources, so both of your posts are pointless.

. . . unless I missed it, you never posted any sources for your claims.

I'm happy to post sources for any facts I "claim." But I don't WTF claims you're talking about, since there aren't any in the thread you're commenting on.

My apologies, you were responding to someone else's claims. But is there a reason why you didn't state this to the initial claims about DDT instead of people responding to it? It seems weird to only hold one side of a conversation to the standard.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    And what I bought for that matter...

For example, exhibit A, the Lava Lamp. Why?

Yes, I know, everyone I knew was buying one, but what use was it?!

You must not have done enough drugs.

Lava lamps and black light posters.

Those were the days, my friends. :)

I was a child in the 1970s, so I basically just witnessed the Baby Boomers ruin sex, drugs, and rock and roll for my generation with their excesses without getting involved in the action :'(
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

I was a child in the 1970s, so I basically just witnessed the Baby Boomers ruin sex, drugs, and rock and roll for my generation with their excesses without getting involved in the action :'(

It was totally about us. :wink:

Sorry not sorry.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Goal179 wrote: »
    NO ACV cannot cure that!!!!!

Well, vinegar CAN be used to cure meats and I guess ACV would work as well as any other. But for any health issue other than food poisoning prevention, I agree.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options

Sorry not sorry.

Being raised by Boomers actually made for a pretty lively childhood, I will take that over what passes for a childhood in today's world :)

Trophies for every child!!!!!!!!!

I never had kids, but I did have a lively young-adulthood.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Sorry not sorry.

I graduated high school in '68 and live in the San Francisco bay area. This is true.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Sorry not sorry.

I graduated high school in '68 and live in the San Francisco bay area. This is true.

I was at Woodstock. I was 14. B)

OMG, what an experience! Once in a lifetime!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Sorry not sorry.

Believe me, Gen X completely understands this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    tiasommer wrote: »
    It's pointless. It will inevitably be argued otherwise. After all, they've been approved for use in food. But I don't believe that necessarily means they are safe. I still have my concerns.
    If you must know, some of the additives I try to avoid BHA or BHT, artificial sweeteners, food dyes like blue # 1 & 2, red # 3 - just to name a few -sodium nitrate, sulfur dioxide, sodium benzoate, potassium bromate, high fructose corn syrup, MSG, and of course trans fats. Pesticides, artificial hormones, antibiotics… And the list goes on.

Many of these are on my list as well. I don't read food blogs either. Never heard of Food Babe outside MFP forums.
This discussion has been closed.