Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Another unpopular opinion I have is that fat-shaming has its place as long as the person doesn't have a legitimate eating disorder or medical problem. Hey, I was obese and if it wasn't for being fat-shamed I'd be even bigger today instead of 195lbs and 10%bf with an addiction to nutrition and working out. So don't say I haven't walked in their shoes. The problem I have with it is your obesity is affecting EVERYONE. Medical costs, health insurance costs, fast food on every corner from demand, you flowing onto my lap on the plane, etc, etc, etc.

I remember a world where everyone wasn't so damned fragile, where people weren't obsessed with political correctness, and (gasp) people communicated honestly. Tactful, honest, constructive criticism has a place in society and redacting honesty from communication to spare feelings can (and has) enable(d) people to comfortably engage in destructive behavior and suffer real damage that is far beyond anything that words can inflict upon them.

I agree.

Fat shaming is neither tactful nor constructive criticism.

Exactly this.

Fat shaming is bad, period.

Fat shaming is not many of the things people trying to defend fat shaming seem to think it is. It is NOT acknowledging that being overweight can be unhealthy or promoting physical fitness standards.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Another unpopular opinion I have is that fat-shaming has its place as long as the person doesn't have a legitimate eating disorder or medical problem. Hey, I was obese and if it wasn't for being fat-shamed I'd be even bigger today instead of 195lbs and 10%bf with an addiction to nutrition and working out. So don't say I haven't walked in their shoes. The problem I have with it is your obesity is affecting EVERYONE. Medical costs, health insurance costs, fast food on every corner from demand, you flowing onto my lap on the plane, etc, etc, etc.

I remember a world where everyone wasn't so damned fragile, where people weren't obsessed with political correctness, and (gasp) people communicated honestly. Tactful, honest, constructive criticism has a place in society and redacting honesty from communication to spare feelings can (and has) enable(d) people to comfortably engage in destructive behavior and suffer real damage that is far beyond anything that words can inflict upon them.

I agree.

Fat shaming is neither tactful nor constructive criticism.

Exactly this.

Fat shaming is bad, period.

Fat shaming is not many of the things people trying to defend fat shaming seem to think it is. It is NOT acknowledging that being overweight can be unhealthy or promoting physical fitness standards.

It's also NOT many of the things HAES and FAM say it is.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Yeah, the PE teacher told the kids who couldn't run a mile they were out of shape. Maybe had them run extra to fix the issue instead of letting them sit in the shade or stroll around the track like we do now

The problem with the snowflaking of America is that this generation has lost their resiliency to mean words. Kids are killing themselves over verbal bullying and shaming that wouldn't have even ruined my day when I was a kid.

Hmm. Kids weren't bothered at all by bullying back in the good old days is definitely NOT the world I grew up in. People were less likely to give those kids a recourse and more likely to let them think if they were made fun of daily to an intolerable degree or even physically attacked regularly it was their own fault, and something more to feel shame about, yeah. I recall being regularly made miserable to the point I was basically sick in school for a period of time and hiding it from my parents since I didn't want them to also know I was a loser.

This was not a positive experience for me that made me a better and stronger person later in life. I think I would have been stronger in some ways if my parents had had a clue (or the teachers had, or had cared) and I'd been moved to a different school or class, I dunno. I do know it messed me up to some degree into my adulthood.

I was never fat as a kid, for the record. (Did this play into why I emotionally ate and later got fat? Who knows, I wouldn't say it did or didn't and that's something I can work on and fix.)

But sneering at kids who are victims of bullying is really lame. As is being aware that it can be a problem.

Agreed.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited July 2017

Yeah, the PE teacher told the kids who couldn't run a mile they were out of shape. Maybe had them run extra to fix the issue instead of letting them sit in the shade or stroll around the track like we do now

The problem with the snowflaking of America is that this generation has lost their resiliency to mean words. Kids are killing themselves over verbal bullying and shaming that wouldn't have even ruined my day when I was a kid.

Hmm. Kids weren't bothered at all by bullying back in the good old days is definitely NOT the world I grew up in. People were less likely to give those kids a recourse and more likely to let them think if they were made fun of daily to an intolerable degree or even physically attacked regularly it was their own fault, and something more to feel shame about, yeah. I recall being regularly made miserable to the point I was basically sick in school for a period of time and hiding it from my parents since I didn't want them to also know I was a loser.

This was not a positive experience for me that made me a better and stronger person later in life. I think I would have been stronger in some ways if my parents had had a clue (or the teachers had, or had cared) and I'd been moved to a different school or class, I dunno. I do know it messed me up to some degree into my adulthood.

I was never fat as a kid, for the record. (Did this play into why I emotionally ate and later got fat? Who knows, I wouldn't say it did or didn't and that's something I can work on and fix.)

But sneering at kids who are victims of bullying is really lame. As is being unaware that it can be a problem.

Who said kids weren't bothered by bullies? As a kid who didn't actually grow to an adult size until I was 18, wore glasses, was unathletic, and had a mouth full of over-sized adult teeth that I didn't grow into until I was 18, I absorbed my share of bullying, both mental and physical. No one is excusing bullying, you are addressing a strawman here.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member

But sneering at kids who are victims of bullying is really lame. As is being unaware that it can be a problem.

Strawman alert. This is not the issue at hand, but the process that was put into place handling bullying.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    Hey, we're back to the victim thingy.

Watch out, pretty soon it turns into PSTD/Combat horrors, ya know?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    or PTSD.
This discussion has been closed.