Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    im vegan and eat wayyy more veggies than fruit.. but thats because of all the rain its ruined this years fruit crops and none of it has tasted good.. so sad!!

Where are you located? I'm in S. Ontario (Canada) and we've had the wettest spring and summer ever. :(

I have found that - although the fruits *have* been a bit later than usual to ripen and get to market - they are absolutely delicious! Just had Ontario peaches available last week. They are a bit smaller in size than what would be considered normal, but my god they're sweet, juicy and delicious! Same thing with our cherries, plums, strawberries and raspberries. The apples will be out soon, and I expect them to be darned delicious , too. :)

the peaches we are getting east aren't juicy yet...*cries* and if we leave them out to ripen more they go bad so quick...

however our berries (I grow them) were so delish and I can hardly wait to see how our tomatoes are...

we have had a very dry summer...but wet spring.

Try this:

Wrap your unripe peaches in linen napkins for a few days and leave them somewhere inside out of direct sunlight. As soon as the top of the peaches right next to the stem 'yields' a bit when you apply gentle pressure with your fingertip, unwrap and refrigerate them. They should then be ready to eat in a day or two. :)

And yeah, I grow raspberries and strawberries and have had wonderful results with both this year. Again, a bit later to harvest than normal, but so worth the wait. :) My tomatoes are just ripening up now and they look amazing.

You are making me jealous. I didn't even grow tomatoes this year. I moved in June so planted nothing except a few herbs in pots after I got to my new place. :'(

Next year!

ETA: I did plant mixed greens seeds in a planter a week ago so I will have nice salads all fall until the first hard frost.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    What I do is basically have women's multivitamin pills, oatmeal, protein, and bananas in the morning. That usually stops me from eating things that cause me to overindulge throughout the day. My snacks, lunches, and dinners consist of a mixture of foods. That way I am not eating repetitively so much. Foods high in vitamins, minerals, and protein are what I scavenge for. I try to have foods that are not genetically modified, processed so much, and doesn't have too much sugar, fat, etc. to insure my body.

don't have a varied diet do you then if that is one of the conditions...

You don't have to have Cheeto's, pop, etc to have a varied diet.

Someone who avoids processed food is going to be eliminating a lot more than Cheetos and soda, especially if they are also eliminating foods that are higher in sugar and fat as well.

Possibly not.

I am told quite often how limited my gluten free ketogenic diet is. It isn't. I eat beef, lamb, seafood, fish, pork, chicken, turkey, bison, eggs, dairy, berries, coconut, olives, nuts (macadamia, cashew, etc), seeds (flax, ciha, hemp, pumpkin, etc), peanuts, and veggies (greens, peppers, onions, mushrooms, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, snap peas, etc). It does not feel limited. If avoid grains and sugar I consider it a plus - nutritionally speaking, neither are great.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I honestly don't get the fervent demonisation generally seen of processed foods. And by that I mean what I'd refer to as convenience foods. I look at labels and for the most part there's nothing bad in them, they're just, well, convenient. I don't even regularly go over the sodium recommendation in my diary when I have a day heavy on those things. And for me, when my brain has checked out as it regularly does, it's much safer for me to be able to stand and watch something cook for 10 minutes than to have something that takes longer and regular checking because I could very well burn the house down. I did it the other day grilling some fish, I left the kitchen to check something and clean forgot about the fish. Luckily on that occasion I didn't even burn it but you see the point.

There are lots of people who are sucked in by the idea that losing weight and maintaining a lower weight = abject healthy eating misery when "healthy" isn't what they think it means. You see it every day. "Help! I am going to xyz, what's the healthiest thing I can have?".

I have also seen some really great threads when people who want to up their veg intake ask for help in introducing them and preparing them in a flavourful way get lots and lots of great ideas and feedback.

It's really weird that there's a small group of people who think 80/20, IIFYM = *kitten* of veg, imma eat Cheetos.

I don't get it either, and I'm pretty sure that was my entry "unpopular opinion" in this thread - that because a person does eat convenience foods does not mean that they are ignorant of nutrition, or lazy, or can't cook. My breakfast today - was greek yogurt, prepackaged granola, and blueberries with coffee and coffeemate liquid creamer. Planned lunch for work - frozen Smart Made meal (Asian Garlic Chicken) which includes white meat chicken, brown rice, onions, carrots, bell peppers, and spinach in a garlic soy sauce. Probably a Chobani flip for a snack, or maybe one of those little P3 packs that includes nuts, cheese, and diced chicken. Dinner not planned yet but likely a salad made with bagged spinach and store bought dressing, then sauteed shrimp with one of the Birdseye protein blends. Clearly lots of processed foods, but I've yet to find someone who can explain (other than sodium, which is not a major concern for me as my blood pressure is perfect and no concerns from by doctor either) why this is a nutritionally poor day.

Oh yeah, and I will likely have wine too, and maybe an Oreo or two, so I shall sit back and await the applause.

*applause*

Me: breakfast was coffee with 1/2&1/2, an egg, and 1/2 English muffin. Lunch will be mostly cheese, fruit, and raw veggies with dill dip left over from my solar eclipse viewing party yesterday (plain Greek yogurt added for additional protein). Dinner will probably be more raw veggies and a Lean Cuisine since I have no meat thawed at the moment and I need to eat up my leftovers. It will probably also include wine because I have a bottle open from yesterday.

Not the most balanced day. I will probably fall short on the protein but it is one day and I need to eat up those leftovers that won't last long and can't be frozen.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    im vegan and eat wayyy more veggies than fruit.. but thats because of all the rain its ruined this years fruit crops and none of it has tasted good.. so sad!!

Where are you located? I'm in S. Ontario (Canada) and we've had the wettest spring and summer ever. :(

I have found that - although the fruits *have* been a bit later than usual to ripen and get to market - they are absolutely delicious! Just had Ontario peaches available last week. They are a bit smaller in size than what would be considered normal, but my god they're sweet, juicy and delicious! Same thing with our cherries, plums, strawberries and raspberries. The apples will be out soon, and I expect them to be darned delicious , too. :)

the peaches we are getting east aren't juicy yet...*cries* and if we leave them out to ripen more they go bad so quick...

however our berries (I grow them) were so delish and I can hardly wait to see how our tomatoes are...

we have had a very dry summer...but wet spring.

I had the same problem with my peaches from my tree (Reliance)--they come on at the end of July, and although they had good flavor and were juicy, many were starting to go bad on the tree even before they were ripe, and when I picked them I had to process them right away, some of them even before my "gold standard" of ripeness, or they would go bad on the counter in a day in many cases. My MIL had the same problem with the half-bushel that she bought from a farm stand in Michigan (Red Haven peaches). I had to throw so many in the compost. :(

We have had an overly wet and cool summer, so I don't know if that has had anything to do with it.

I've noticed that peaches aren't as good as usual either. It's funny because I usually love peaches because they are so reliable (vs. apricots) and are ripe when I get them and stay good for plenty of time. This year my peaches and plums are not ripe (I'm buying the same local from the farmer's market ones I normally do) and have a shorter window anyway -- my usual issue with apricots -- but I've been quite lucky with apricots. Berries and melons seem normal, though.

I haven't got plums since they were first out, though, so may be being unfair to them -- I'll have to get more this weekend.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Blaming your metabolism is such a cop-out.

Nothing drives me crazier than someone telling me they can't lose ANY weight because their metabolism is too slow. It's simple, CICO. Yes there are cellular differences in how your body metabolizes things, but at the end of the day, if you burn 2000 calories and only put in 1500, you're going to lose weight. Your metabolism is not some magical thing that defies the laws of thermodynamics.

I agree. It can be changed if someone wants to put in the hard work to change it. It's hard work though so that's why it's easier for some to either be overweight/obese or get WLS.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    What I do is basically have women's multivitamin pills, oatmeal, protein, and bananas in the morning. That usually stops me from eating things that cause me to overindulge throughout the day. My snacks, lunches, and dinners consist of a mixture of foods. That way I am not eating repetitively so much. Foods high in vitamins, minerals, and protein are what I scavenge for. I try to have foods that are not genetically modified, processed so much, and doesn't have too much sugar, fat, etc. to insure my body.

Someone who avoids processed food is going to be eliminating a lot more than Cheetos and soda, especially if they are also eliminating foods that are higher in sugar and fat as well.

Possibly not.

I am told quite often how limited my gluten free ketogenic diet is. It isn't. I eat beef, lamb, seafood, fish, pork, chicken, turkey, bison, eggs, dairy, berries, coconut, olives, nuts (macadamia, cashew, etc), seeds (flax, ciha, hemp, pumpkin, etc), peanuts, and veggies (greens, peppers, onions, mushrooms, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, snap peas, etc). It does not feel limited. If avoid grains and sugar I consider it a plus - nutritionally speaking, neither are great.

If one does not have a gluten issue, there is nothing nutritionally bad about grains. Quite the opposite, many whole grains are very nutritionally dense while providing a good source of fiber. Barley and brown rice (which is gluten free) are 2 good examples.

Agreed...

never mind the cross contamination of gluten into products that wouldn't normally contain it...such as the meats mentioned above...

having restrictions by it's nature limits the food you can eat...esp if it is medically related where you are putting your health in danger if you eat certain things...aka celiacs or diabetics..

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Re the processed foods thing, I had a steak salad for breakfast (using up some vegetables I have to use up), and even so I used some processed foods, as I made a spicy dressing with lime juice, sriracha, and coconut aminos (which I bought solely because I couldn't find where they had soy sauce in the WF I was at and was in a hurry, so will go on record as thinking that soy sauce is also totally fine). I also used a spray olive oil I bought for the pan when cooking the steak because after avoiding spray oils (as not me) for a time I decided to heck with it, they are convenient and it's nice to have an easy calorie savings.

At one time I would have avoided these foods that added to the flavor of my meal or made it easier to cook or lower cal. I'd like to know why they are bad and causing me to be fat, because processed.

Also, even a protein and vegetable centric, from whole foods kind of meal STILL used processed foods. Yes, I could avoid them entirely, but WHY? People seem to want to shame the use of them, so I want those who take that position to give a good reason for that.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

This represents one of my unpopular opinions. Someone who mentioned they are trying to limit processed foods, extra sugar, fat etc from their diet gets a lot of static on their choices on this forum. Yet someone who eats a bunch of questionable foods (i.e. junk foods) drinks alcohol on a daily basis etc, as long as it "fits their macros" and calories gets virtual high fives.

Seems strange for a health and fitness site.

Exactly. These people who are mfp "vets" really seem to attack those who put down processed foods. Over and over again.

This is why I stand by my first unpopular opinion pages ago...this is NOT a health and fitness site. It's a weight loss site.

do I dare ask for a link or two showing this????

where vets "attack"...those who put down processed foods.

I am with Lemurcat on this one...for me processed foods are part of my regular WoE (way of eating) and I eat "convenience" foods too like lean cuisine when I on a crunch for time...or a healthy choice steamer...I assume those are "processed" but I get in 2-4 servings of veggies and protein from those, calories are decent and it helps me hit my macros.

my yogurt, my breakfast this morning (1 egg, cheese, english muffin, 4 slices of deli ham, coffee, creamer (AMG and it was coffee mate)) all processed foods (except the egg i guess) but healthy, nutrient dense.

How about this comment you made to on page 125?

shinedowness1 wrote: »

sexystef's response
    don't have a varied diet do you then if that is one of the conditions

To me @shinedowness1 did not indicate any total restriction of those items, just eating at a reasonable level for health. Reductions in the amount of process foods, sugar and fat, as you know, are recommendations from dietitians for most people in the developed world. Yet, she gets a snarky comment/attack.

The above response led to my unpopular opinion

This represents one of my unpopular opinions. Someone who mentioned they are trying to limit processed foods, extra sugar, fat etc from their diet gets a lot of static on their choices on this forum. Yet someone who eats a bunch of questionable foods (i.e. junk foods) drinks alcohol on a daily basis etc, as long as it "fits their macros" and calories gets virtual high fives.

again I will ask for a link to where a vet attacks...

I did not attack...it was a very matter of fact statement...I didn't even use an exclamation point...

and no where did the OP say they limit processed foods they said they try not to have GMO and processed but limit sugar and fat...

trying not to eat it means eliminating it where possible...and if that is the case I stand by my statement...if you are not eating GMO (never mind processed) you are limiting your foods esp in North America where 80% of our food has is GMO or has an ingredient that is GMO

Unless you redefine GMO to the point where it's meaningless.

Which is what most people who "limit/avoid" GMO do.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Someone who mentioned they are trying to limit processed foods, extra sugar, fat etc from their diet gets a lot of static on their choices on this forum.

I disagree (again) when it comes to extra sugar -- people say "how do I control myself with sugary foods" and generally get lots of advice (I think helpful, but I would, I give it). I honestly can't think of any examples of people trying to cut fat, but I think other than "how much are you eating, what are the sources" kinds of questions, since some do better with more fat and there are healthy sources, they'd get helpful advice too. I often state that I cut both fat and carbs some when I started, and no one pushes back/criticizes.

When it comes to processed foods, I think processed foods are too varied for it to make sense to try to cut them (and also what does that mean -- you mean trying to cook at home from whole foods more? why not say that?).

Why is it important to worry about plain greek yogurt or smoked salmon, again?

If you WANT to cook more from whole foods, I totally support you (and give helpful advice in the threads where people say that). But if you say "cut out processed foods!" as advice to someone else -- which is common - or assert on the unpopular opinion thread that processed food is bad for us, yes, I will ask why, because I don't think being processed makes food bad or says much about it's nutrient profile at all.

And since you DO eat processed foods (as does basically everyone in this conversation) and seem not to think they are all inherently bad, I find your arguments here confusing.

Please tell me why just being processed makes a food bad for someone.

Please show me where I said why just a food being processed is bad.

I'll save you the time, I never did.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I thought most/all agriculture and animals for consumption were GMO in one way or another. It's a lame term.

Is that unpopular? Or am I just sick to death of the Monsanto discussion over a nice dinner?

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Exactly. These people who are mfp "vets" really seem to attack those who put down processed foods. Over and over again.

This is why I stand by my first unpopular opinion pages ago...this is NOT a health and fitness site. It's a weight loss site.

do I dare ask for a link or two showing this????

where vets "attack"...those who put down processed foods.

I am with Lemurcat on this one...for me processed foods are part of my regular WoE (way of eating) and I eat "convenience" foods too like lean cuisine when I on a crunch for time...or a healthy choice steamer...I assume those are "processed" but I get in 2-4 servings of veggies and protein from those, calories are decent and it helps me hit my macros.

my yogurt, my breakfast this morning (1 egg, cheese, english muffin, 4 slices of deli ham, coffee, creamer (AMG and it was coffee mate)) all processed foods (except the egg i guess) but healthy, nutrient dense.

How about this comment you made to on page 125?

shinedowness1 wrote: »

sexystef's response
    don't have a varied diet do you then if that is one of the conditions

To me @shinedowness1 did not indicate any total restriction of those items, just eating at a reasonable level for health. Reductions in the amount of process foods, sugar and fat, as you know, are recommendations from dietitians for most people in the developed world. Yet, she gets a snarky comment/attack.

The above response led to my unpopular opinion

again I will ask for a link to where a vet attacks...

I did not attack...it was a very matter of fact statement...I didn't even use an exclamation point...

and no where did the OP say they limit processed foods they said they try not to have GMO and processed but limit sugar and fat...

trying not to eat it means eliminating it where possible...and if that is the case I stand by my statement...if you are not eating GMO (never mind processed) you are limiting your foods esp in North America where 80% of our food has is GMO or has an ingredient that is GMO

Unless you redefine GMO to the point where it's meaningless.

Which is what most people who "limit/avoid" GMO do.

Not to mention that poster says they start their morning with "women's multivitamin pills, oatmeal, protein, and bananas" and then follows up by saying they "try to have foods that are not genetically modified". The concept of not eating genetically modified foods, yet relying on bananas ad a dietary staple is quite ironic...

Bananas, corn, oranges, sweet peas, beef. All genetically engineered to one degree or another..
This discussion has been closed.