Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Someone who mentioned they are trying to limit processed foods, extra sugar, fat etc from their diet gets a lot of static on their choices on this forum.

I disagree (again) when it comes to extra sugar -- people say "how do I control myself with sugary foods" and generally get lots of advice (I think helpful, but I would, I give it). I honestly can't think of any examples of people trying to cut fat, but I think other than "how much are you eating, what are the sources" kinds of questions, since some do better with more fat and there are healthy sources, they'd get helpful advice too. I often state that I cut both fat and carbs some when I started, and no one pushes back/criticizes.

When it comes to processed foods, I think processed foods are too varied for it to make sense to try to cut them (and also what does that mean -- you mean trying to cook at home from whole foods more? why not say that?).

Why is it important to worry about plain greek yogurt or smoked salmon, again?

If you WANT to cook more from whole foods, I totally support you (and give helpful advice in the threads where people say that). But if you say "cut out processed foods!" as advice to someone else -- which is common - or assert on the unpopular opinion thread that processed food is bad for us, yes, I will ask why, because I don't think being processed makes food bad or says much about it's nutrient profile at all.

And since you DO eat processed foods (as does basically everyone in this conversation) and seem not to think they are all inherently bad, I find your arguments here confusing.

Please tell me why just being processed makes a food bad for someone.

Please show me where I said why just a food being processed is bad.

I'll save you the time, I never did.

You suggested that avoiding processed foods is the equivalent of avoiding Cheetos and sodas, as if people who consume them must be eating huge amounts of those kinds of foods and having an unhealthy diet in general.

Sorry too many incorrect inferences.

To clarify my position, I have nothing against processed foods. I eat them on a regular basis. I do look at them along a simple green light/red light continuum.

Examples:
    Fresh frozen berries/prebagged salads = Green light, eat anytime
    Cheetos = Red light, eat rarely.

I believe most dietitians would be in general agreement with this methodology for most people.

This is a understandable spectrum. Can you understand why people might find this method more understandable than a stance like "I try to avoid processed foods" (the statement by someone else that sparked this whole thread of discussion).

Many of us feel that it makes more sense to consider the food itself rather than the mere fact that it has undergone some kind of processing when it comes to the decision whether or not to eat it frequently/in large volume.
  • AskMorphis
    AskMorphis Posts: 155 Member
    Unpopular opinions? How's this?
    Obese women who call themselves "average" body type on POF and have only headshots for photos. Experience tells me that their true body type is going to be "A few extra pounds". (it's worse yet if someone claims to be "athletic" but carries 30% body fat or more)
    Sadly, "average" is technically almost correct now that obesity is an epidemic.
    No photos where your torso is visible in a POF profile is now an automatic assumption you carry excessive fat!
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hate overweight people, but I really do dislike dishonesty... especially when you know for sure that your lie will be evident on first meeting!

I'm long past online dating, and don't doubt what you're say but I would bet it works for both sexes.

It may very well do. However, I recall seing analysis (using OKCupid's data, or photofeeler) that suggest that a profile picture of your face (not torso) is more advisable for matches.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    What I do is basically have women's multivitamin pills, oatmeal, protein, and bananas in the morning. That usually stops me from eating things that cause me to overindulge throughout the day. My snacks, lunches, and dinners consist of a mixture of foods. That way I am not eating repetitively so much. Foods high in vitamins, minerals, and protein are what I scavenge for. I try to have foods that are not genetically modified, processed so much, and doesn't have too much sugar, fat, etc. to insure my body.

don't have a varied diet do you then if that is one of the conditions...

You don't have to have Cheeto's, pop, etc to have a varied diet.

Someone who avoids processed food is going to be eliminating a lot more than Cheetos and soda, especially if they are also eliminating foods that are higher in sugar and fat as well.

This represents one of my unpopular opinions. Someone who mentioned they are trying to limit processed foods, extra sugar, fat etc from their diet gets a lot of static on their choices on this forum. Yet someone who eats a bunch of questionable foods (i.e. junk foods) drinks alcohol on a daily basis etc, as long as it "fits their macros" and calories gets virtual high fives.

Seems strange for a health and fitness site.

Exactly. These people who are mfp "vets" really seem to attack those who put down processed foods. Over and over again.

This is why I stand by my first unpopular opinion pages ago...this is NOT a health and fitness site. It's a weight loss site.

Yet even the most cursory perusal of the forums clearly shows that there are a staggering number of healthy, fit, athletic members on MFP.

What crazy talk! People can't possible be healthy and fit while also eating processed foods. It's impossible! Cosmo told me so! /s

That's the reason people who incorporate the things they love into their diet get "cheered". The sheer amount of "You can't eat this and be healthy!!!!!" BS that's around.

So let me ask y'all a question. I've been around on MFP since 2010, albeit a different username, and have repeatedly been challenged over what seems to be semantics. I say the words "processed foods" to mean boxed foods, I.e. Hamburger helper, fast food (no not a salad from McDonald's), hungry man meals, stuff with tons of preservatives etc. I am not referring to frozen veggies, GMOs, etc. WHAT should I (we, cause I'm not the only one) be saying to avoid these conundrums??? Do you want us to say "Whole Foods"? "Nutritionally dense foods?" "Cooked at home", Something else?

I ask with all due respect because when I see someone, including myself, trying to encourage people on these forums to eat more "nutritionally sense" foods, we get attacked on what seems to be nomenclature.

My personal feeling is that people should eat in a way that meets their nutritional needs and allows them to meet their calorie goals and that focusing on a particular food in that mix isn't all that helpful (as well as whether or not one has personally prepared it).

If someone is eating in a way that meets their nutritional needs and allows them to meet their calorie goals, it's irrelevant whether or not they sometimes have french fries or eat a sandwich that someone else has made or have a grain that has been refined.

And along with this-you also have to find a way of eating that's realistic and sustainable for you, for the long term, or you won't stick with it for any amount of time.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    What I do is basically have women's multivitamin pills, oatmeal, protein, and bananas in the morning. That usually stops me from eating things that cause me to overindulge throughout the day. My snacks, lunches, and dinners consist of a mixture of foods. That way I am not eating repetitively so much. Foods high in vitamins, minerals, and protein are what I scavenge for. I try to have foods that are not genetically modified, processed so much, and doesn't have too much sugar, fat, etc. to insure my body.

don't have a varied diet do you then if that is one of the conditions...

You don't have to have Cheeto's, pop, etc to have a varied diet.

Someone who avoids processed food is going to be eliminating a lot more than Cheetos and soda, especially if they are also eliminating foods that are higher in sugar and fat as well.

This represents one of my unpopular opinions. Someone who mentioned they are trying to limit processed foods, extra sugar, fat etc from their diet gets a lot of static on their choices on this forum. Yet someone who eats a bunch of questionable foods (i.e. junk foods) drinks alcohol on a daily basis etc, as long as it "fits their macros" and calories gets virtual high fives.

Seems strange for a health and fitness site.

Exactly. These people who are mfp "vets" really seem to attack those who put down processed foods. Over and over again.

This is why I stand by my first unpopular opinion pages ago...this is NOT a health and fitness site. It's a weight loss site.

Yet even the most cursory perusal of the forums clearly shows that there are a staggering number of healthy, fit, athletic members on MFP.

What crazy talk! People can't possible be healthy and fit while also eating processed foods. It's impossible! Cosmo told me so! /s

That's the reason people who incorporate the things they love into their diet get "cheered". The sheer amount of "You can't eat this and be healthy!!!!!" BS that's around.

So let me ask y'all a question. I've been around on MFP since 2010, albeit a different username, and have repeatedly been challenged over what seems to be semantics. I say the words "processed foods" to mean boxed foods, I.e. Hamburger helper, fast food (no not a salad from McDonald's), hungry man meals, stuff with tons of preservatives etc. I am not referring to frozen veggies, GMOs, etc. WHAT should I (we, cause I'm not the only one) be saying to avoid these conundrums??? Do you want us to say "Whole Foods"? "Nutritionally dense foods?" "Cooked at home", Something else?

I ask with all due respect because when I see someone, including myself, trying to encourage people on these forums to eat more "nutritionally sense" foods, we get attacked on what seems to be nomenclature.

My personal feeling is that people should eat in a way that meets their nutritional needs and allows them to meet their calorie goals and that focusing on a particular food in that mix isn't all that helpful (as well as whether or not one has personally prepared it).

If someone is eating in a way that meets their nutritional needs and allows them to meet their calorie goals, it's irrelevant whether or not they sometimes have french fries or eat a sandwich that someone else has made or have a grain that has been refined.

And along with this-you also have to find a way of eating that's realistic and sustainable for you, for the long term, or you won't stick with it for any amount of time.

Yep, the best-conceived nutritional plan on earth isn't worth anything if someone can't stick to it. Better to have a plan that is realistic when it comes to personal circumstances and preferences.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    apparently another unpopular opinion I have is not logging things like "cleaning" or "gardening" but only purposeful exercise done with intent on improving health and fitness....

Not unpopular with me. That is N.E.A.T. and should not be logged. I think it's silly really. Looking for an excuse to log everything. Heck, food logging errors probably account for more than the cleaning or gardening someone logs. I't self defeating and sometimes leads to the "I'm not making any progress, please help" post.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    AskMorphis wrote: »
    Unpopular opinions? How's this?
    Obese women who call themselves "average" body type on POF and have only headshots for photos. Experience tells me that their true body type is going to be "A few extra pounds". (it's worse yet if someone claims to be "athletic" but carries 30% body fat or more)
    Sadly, "average" is technically almost correct now that obesity is an epidemic.
    No photos where your torso is visible in a POF profile is now an automatic assumption you carry excessive fat!
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hate overweight people, but I really do dislike dishonesty... especially when you know for sure that your lie will be evident on first meeting!

I'm long past online dating, and don't doubt what you're say but I would bet it works for both sexes.

It may very well do. However, I recall seing analysis (using OKCupid's data, or photofeeler) that suggest that a profile picture of your face (not torso) is more advisable for matches.

You get more than one picture on dating profiles. So it should be head shot to lure them in, variety of angles and distances for clarity. I haven't used any dating sites in a long time because bleak (in my experience, I have friends who met their partner through them) but I always had full body shots and disclosed my body type honestly. As pointed out, not everyone does, which is just stupid really.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    apparently another unpopular opinion I have is not logging things like "cleaning" or "gardening" but only purposeful exercise done with intent on improving health and fitness....

Not to cross threads but the thread wasn't about normal level of house hold chores.

Stated as you have above I would agree with you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited August 2017

Not to cross threads but the thread wasn't about normal level of house hold chores.

Stated as you have above I would agree with you.

Agreed and I should have clarified more with "extra cleaning" but for me Gardening did that since it's not a constant everyday affair.

but regardless I don't think cleaning, throwing in wood or anything not done to improve health and fitness should be logged for extra calories...

This discussion has been closed.