Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Festivus came early this year:

1. Peer-reviewed publications do not equate to scientific fact.
    2. Public policy is rarely based upon science – e.g. food pyramid, low-fat diet, cholesterol, added sugar, etc.
    3. GMO, organic, healthy, fast, junk, etc. are nothing more than marketing terms used to disparage competitive products/promote your products.
    4. Medicine does not equate to science fact. Much of medicine is based on risk mitigation and not reproducible - that a protocol worked on a previous patient.
    5. Any exercise is better than sitting on a couch. If your movement is elliptical - then enjoy your ellipsing.
    6. (Insert offence here)-shaming is hyperbolic and indicative of how good your life is. If this is the worst thing that happens to you, then you have a pretty good life. If you have the ability to vent on an internet forum - you have a damn good life.
    7. Much of the solutions posed only address symptoms and do not attempt to investigate or solve root cause.
    8. Genetics plays a very small factor in weight management and this is largely behavioral.
    9. Harder =/= excuse.
    10. Beer is a just reward after a run/swim/bike. It is organic, paleo, chocked full of nutrition, and potentially gluten free. It is the pinnacle of human endeavor.

I gave you a "Like" until I read #10, whereupon I changed it to an "Awesome."

LOL

And I agreed with everything until I got to #10, where we come to my extremely unpopular opinion: all alcohol is pretty much a 'meh' or worse for drinking unless doctored to the point the alcohol basically vanishes (except beer, which rates a 'yuck' regardless). However, it (even beer) is brilliant for cooking.

Can't make a good soft pretzel or a proper beef stew without a nice, strong beer.

Oh I can find some manner of brew that suits your palette.

Ye canne make a proper bratwurst without a beer. I have quite the recipe book for beer & cooking/baking - one of my more requested dishes in a Beer Bundt Cake.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member

BTW - have you tried making sorbet with frozen fruit and various types of lambic? Delicious.

Whoa- I now have new weekend goals.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »

2. Public policy is rarely based upon science – e.g. food pyramid, low-fat diet, cholesterol, added sugar, etc.
    3. GMO, organic, healthy, fast, junk, etc. are nothing more than marketing terms used to disparage competitive products/promote your products.
    4. Medicine does not equate to science fact. Much of medicine is based on risk mitigation and not reproducible - that a protocol worked on a previous patient.
    5. Any exercise is better than sitting on a couch. If your movement is elliptical - then enjoy your ellipsing.
    6. (Insert offence here)-shaming is hyperbolic and indicative of how good your life is. If this is the worst thing that happens to you, then you have a pretty good life. If you have the ability to vent on an internet forum - you have a damn good life.
    7. Much of the solutions posed only address symptoms and do not attempt to investigate or solve root cause.
    8. Genetics plays a very small factor in weight management and this is largely behavioral.
    9. Harder =/= excuse.
    10. Beer is a just reward after a run/swim/bike. It is organic, paleo, chocked full of nutrition, and potentially gluten free. It is the pinnacle of human endeavor.

I gave you a "Like" until I read #10, whereupon I changed it to an "Awesome."

LOL

And I agreed with everything until I got to #10, where we come to my extremely unpopular opinion: all alcohol is pretty much a 'meh' or worse for drinking unless doctored to the point the alcohol basically vanishes (except beer, which rates a 'yuck' regardless). However, it (even beer) is brilliant for cooking.

Can't make a good soft pretzel or a proper beef stew without a nice, strong beer.

Oh I can find some manner of brew that suits your palette.

Ye canne make a proper bratwurst without a beer. I have quite the recipe book for beer & cooking/baking - one of my more requested dishes in a Beer Bundt Cake.

"Many have tried ... all have failed"

But there are so many different beers out there, I'll concede there may exist one that'd be OK.

BTW - have you tried making sorbet with frozen fruit and various types of lambic? Delicious.

I've been on the same quest convincing my wife of the same, but I shall not falter.

A homebrew framboise lambic is about as close as I got with her...and her BS was microbiology - such shame.

...and yes! I have experimented with secondary fermenations similar to gose and it came out as a tart sherbet.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

9. Harder =/= excuse.

Co-signing a lot of these, but especially number ten.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    edited June 2017
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Oh, oh. Another one!

BMI needs to stop being used to measure an individual's health status! That's not how it is meant to be used. It's for use in population studies.

BMI is a tool and an indicator. It's not supposed to be used on it's own.

but he doesn't just use BMI in a vacuum - nobody should.
    I'm glad we agree for the most part.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited June 2017
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Great post! Keep being awesome! :+1:

Nice editing!

Thank you guys, I really tried hard for that! Thank you for keeping my spirits high in these trying times! Great responses! Both of you are awesome!

Edit (he, he, another good one incoming!) - I just inhaled some air and guess this!

... you won't believe it

I exhaled it! Successfully!
    :blush:

How did you do that?!? Are you a wizard? I need someone to remind me, or else I won't be consistent.

ETA: You're so amazing, I'm in awe.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    @WinoGelato I will admit that my first thought when i see diaries over run with packet/convenience/take away meals is they are either lazy and/or cant cook :blushing:
This discussion has been closed.