Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of protein to be had in actual food. Resorting to powdered protein seems like a waste of yummy real food. So expensive, too.

Seconded. And I'm a vegetarian with a medium-high goal, around 1g per pound of wild guess at LBM.

Don't even get me started on fake meat: Mostly expensive, salty/fatty, yucky.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There is plenty of protein to be had in actual food. Resorting to powdered protein seems like a waste of yummy real food. So expensive, too.

Seconded. And I'm a vegetarian with a medium-high goal, around 1g per pound of wild guess at LBM.

Protein powder is processed, too. Oh noes.

I can't tell you how many Food pages I've seen with two or three servings of protein powder through the day. I don't get it; but then I am not one of those 1g per pound of body weight people. The last time I posted that protein was fine at 1g per kg, I got jumped on by half a dozen MFP posters. I stand by my belief. :wink:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I can't tell you how many Food pages I've seen with two or three servings of protein powder through the day. I don't get it; but then I am not one of those 1g per pound of body weight people. The last time I posted that protein was fine at 1g per kg, I got jumped on by half a dozen MFP posters. I stand by my belief. :wink:

I get over 1g/lb just fine with 15g collagen powder my only "non food".... I don't get needing to use a lot of supplements either. There's so many better things to spend calories on!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options

"Processed" is fine by me. I mean, I have standards about what I prefer to eat, but I'm never even sure what "processed" means, let alone "clean".

But IMO, life is way too short for calories that don't taste good (to me). If anyone tries to feed me another Quest protein chip, Imma smack 'em. It's assault if someone tries to feed you salty sawdust, right? It's simple self defense.

Usually when I post on protein threads, I say that amounts are controversial, and that bodies like USDA/WHO suggest amounts like your goal. Then I advocate for my opinion. ;) I'm sticking with my opinion, too. ;)
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Ya'll will slaughter me here but I believe there is more to CICO than meets the eye. Human body is not a car engine, it is much more complex. There are multiple variables that can throw the math off. Heck even the calorie intake and burn measurements are often extremely imprecise. Until they invent some sort of an implant that measures exactly how much is consumed and burned, I will remain skeptical. That being said, I still log calories, since it is a working method, albeit imperfect.

How often do you get stuck with your car because you didn't know exactly to the millilitre how much gas you needed?

Did you know that it's also impossible to accurately calculate gas mileage, because there is much more to it than meets the eye? There are multiple variables that can throw the math off (acceleration, road surface, air temperature/density, altitude, speed, grades, wind drag factor, etc.). The burn measurements are often extremely imprecise, yet the vast majority of people are perfectly capable of filling their cars up with fuel before they run out of gas.

Perfect analogy

I like this analogy too. The thing is, I know how much fuel my car needs and when because it has a little gauge that tells me. The gauge in my body that tells me when I need more fuel, however, is a freaking troll! :D I feel like eating when I don't need to. Thankfully, I am able to ignore this gauge (sometimes) and stick to counting calories. Which would also work driving a car without a gauge I suppose, but with much higher risk of getting stuck somewhere with no fuel.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options

"Processed" is fine by me. I mean, I have standards about what I prefer to eat, but I'm never even sure what "processed" means, let alone "clean".

But IMO, life is way too short for calories that don't taste good (to me). If anyone tries to feed me another Quest protein chip, Imma smack 'em. It's assault if someone tries to feed you salty sawdust, right? It's simple self defense.

Usually when I post on protein threads, I say that amounts are controversial, and that bodies like USDA/WHO suggest amounts like your goal. Then I advocate for my opinion. ;) I'm sticking with my opinion, too. ;)

I *may* have used language in my (past controversial post) that *may* have been a little/lot more absolute than your approach. I like being right. :lol:

I don't even like protein bars. They're just expensive cereal mashed into a wedge with protein powder sprinkled in 'em. Never even heard of protein chips.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I mostly prefer to get my protein from "real food" (although whey is real food, IMO), but every once in a while I just want to drink breakfast, and adding some protein powder to a smoothie tastes good and makes it more filling for me.

It's funny that this happened to come up when I'm just in from a 6 mile run in the sun and wanted something quick and cold for breakfast, so whipped up a smoothie including protein powder. (It's also way off my normal macros, but I just was in the mood for it -- nothing to do with worrying about protein as my protein is usually over my goal.)

I don't find that protein powder is more expensive than at least some of my normal sources of protein (pastured meat, fish), or even necessarily more per gram of protein than something like Fage, I haven't checked. It lasts forever, which makes it a convenient thing to have in the house.

So I guess (not sure if this is unpopular or not), don't assume you know why someone is consuming something, or that they aren't choosing it simply because they enjoy it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I think it depends on your protein goal as well as convenience. I usually have a chicken breast for lunch, fish or something else for dinner, as well as higher protein snacks but I like to fill in the gaps with protein powder. I buy flavourless so I add it to other foods (yogurt, pancakes, oatmeal etc) without changing the flavour or adding fat, carbs etc so it doesn't affect my other macros. I probably get more than I need.. but it fills me up too.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Here's the thing, and the link will no doubt be posted soon... It's possible to fuel effective progressive overload with "junk food"... someone on MFP with an open diary did it... for 90+ days with photos and detailed logs.

SO it's pretty well settled... FOOD is food.. calories are calories.

Check what NFL, NBA, Olympic athletes use to fuel their training. Sure there is some junk food, but most of it is nutrient dense.

You definitely shouldn't base what your diet and training should look like based on what genetic outliers do.

Genetic outliers?

How about hardest working athletes? You're weak.
  • Rammer123
    Options
    Ya'll will slaughter me here but I believe there is more to CICO than meets the eye. Human body is not a car engine, it is much more complex. There are multiple variables that can throw the math off. Heck even the calorie intake and burn measurements are often extremely imprecise. Until they invent some sort of an implant that measures exactly how much is consumed and burned, I will remain skeptical. That being said, I still log calories, since it is a working method, albeit imperfect.

How often do you get stuck with your car because you didn't know exactly to the millilitre how much gas you needed?

Did you know that it's also impossible to accurately calculate gas mileage, because there is much more to it than meets the eye? There are multiple variables that can throw the math off (acceleration, road surface, air temperature/density, altitude, speed, grades, wind drag factor, etc.). The burn measurements are often extremely imprecise, yet the vast majority of people are perfectly capable of filling their cars up with fuel before they run out of gas.

Perfect analogy

That's a terrible analogy? Theres a gas meter, haha
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    She never said flawed. She said imperfect and imprecise. Which is 100% is. Everyone makes it seem like this easy formula that you just plug in what you burn, and then eat 500 less than that and you lose weight. Yeah, if it was that easy no one would ever have any issues.

It is that easy. If you are maintaining, cut out 500 calories.

If you've been logging, calculate an estimated TDEE.

Or start with a calculator estimate and adjust based on results.
    People on here make it seem soooooo easy it's terrible to watch people just say to count your calories and stay under your calorie goal, that's all that matters for weight loss, yeah, and in 6 weeks when that same calorie count is only having you lose 1 pound a week instead of 2, you know why, because your body is screwed from eating crap the last 6 weeks and your body isn't able to function appropriately an d has slowed down your metabolic functions.

Bodies don't slow down metabolic functions because you eat "crap" for 6 weeks (also, why would you do that?). They certainly don't slow down metabolic functions because you fail to eat perfectly "clean" (whatever that even means) for 6 weeks, since no one is suggesting that people eat poor diets. They DO eventually slow down metabolic functions somewhat if you cut way too low or combine intense exercise with inadequate calories over time.
  • Rammer123
    Options

So explain to me how I've lost nearly 70 pounds using such a flawed, imprecise, imperfect system.

I didn't do keto or low carb. I didn't fast, nor did I go paleo, vegetarian or vegan. I didn't cut a single thing out of my diet. I didn't detox, cleanse, drink ACV or Shakeology, nor did I take "fat burners" or appetite suppressants. I'm 54 years old, I drink diet soda daily, eat fast food several times a week, don't even track my sugar intake and still eat candy, ice cream, etc. I drink beer and hard alcohol on occasion. I eat plenty of red meat and am not in the least scared of carbs or fats.

In short, I haven't done any of the "tricks" or fads that people think help with weight loss. All I've done is count calories (even eyeballing a large portion of my meals rather than using a food scale), maintained a reasonable deficit and exercised consistently. I've refined my calorie goals based upon feedback obtained from the scale and anthropomorphic measurements as I went along. My blood pressure has lowered significantly, my GERD is completely gone, my RHR has dropped to the high 40s/low 50s, my bodyfat has gone from about 35% to around 15% and I have no medical/health issues whatsoever. I'm in the best health and physical condition that I've been since my teens and if I could go back in time I could easily kick my 20, 30 or 40 year-old butt.

So I guess my unpopular opinion is that not only does CICO work, it's the only thing that works. It's the only way anybody loses weight, whether they choose to recognize that fact or not. You can refuse to believe in gravity, but you're still going to hit the ground when you jump out of a tree.

haha you get so defensive it's crazy.

She never said flawed. She said imperfect and imprecise. Which is 100% is. Everyone makes it seem like this easy formula that you just plug in what you burn, and then eat 500 less than that and you lose weight. Yeah, if it was that easy no one would ever have any issues. But you NEVER really know what your calorie expenditure is, at best it's an educated guess, and most of the time it's based off some random calculator online that knows NOTHING about you, your health, your body functions, your lean mass, your bone structure, NOTHING. It just says, most men, at your age, who are that tall are expected to burn this much.

That's why when people offer for people to try and lose 0.5 pound per week its absolutely ridiculous. That's so small of a deficit that one day you might be in a deficit and the next you might be in a surplus because one day you went to work and sat around all day, and that Saturday you took your kid to a soccer game and burned the extra 250 calories walking for 45 min to and from the field and getting everything set up.

People on here make it seem soooooo easy it's terrible to watch people just say to count your calories and stay under your calorie goal, that's all that matters for weight loss, yeah, and in 6 weeks when that same calorie count is only having you lose 1 pound a week instead of 2, you know why, because your body is screwed from eating crap the last 6 weeks and your body isn't able to function appropriately an d has slowed down your metabolic functions.

Yeah, but YOU know about you, your health, your body functions, your lean mass, your bone structure...etc. All it takes is a couple of months of watching what your body does and adjusting your calories accordingly. Most people on this forum have the mental capacity to adjust their intake/activity up or down. It really is that simple. While I don't think anyone should eat crap (that's disgusting) it's not going to slow down your metabolic functions.

What's interesting to me is that people judge counting calories as inaccurate then advocate methods that are so far off on the precision scale it's not even funny. If it's precision that you want, counting calories is your best bet. If that's not what you want in weight management tool, then why bring it up in the first place?

Going back to the car analogy: while you can't calculate your exact mileage, after driving your car for a while you know that driving from point A to point B needs a full tank. How close or far that value is from the manufacturer stated mileage is irrelevant, what YOUR car does is all that matters.

I am not judging it to be this completely in accurate thing and that I may actually be burning 5,000 calories and I'm only eating 3,000, I am saying that people on here make it seem like it is just cut and dry and super easy for someone to just join the forum, get their calculated TDEE and then eat that. That's not how it works, I agree it takes monthsssss and as your body changes, and your activity changes, that number drastically changes. But you constantly see someone coming on here saying that they are doing this much activity and eating this much food and everyone attacks them saying that they must not be tracking accurately, tracking everything, or eating back exercise calories, and just trying so hard to defend this estimate (almost abstract) number that has been given to them that could be completely inaccurate.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

So explain to me how I've lost nearly 70 pounds using such a flawed, imprecise, imperfect system.

I didn't do keto or low carb. I didn't fast, nor did I go paleo, vegetarian or vegan. I didn't cut a single thing out of my diet. I didn't detox, cleanse, drink ACV or Shakeology, nor did I take "fat burners" or appetite suppressants. I'm 54 years old, I drink diet soda daily, eat fast food several times a week, don't even track my sugar intake and still eat candy, ice cream, etc. I drink beer and hard alcohol on occasion. I eat plenty of red meat and am not in the least scared of carbs or fats.

In short, I haven't done any of the "tricks" or fads that people think help with weight loss. All I've done is count calories (even eyeballing a large portion of my meals rather than using a food scale), maintained a reasonable deficit and exercised consistently. I've refined my calorie goals based upon feedback obtained from the scale and anthropomorphic measurements as I went along. My blood pressure has lowered significantly, my GERD is completely gone, my RHR has dropped to the high 40s/low 50s, my bodyfat has gone from about 35% to around 15% and I have no medical/health issues whatsoever. I'm in the best health and physical condition that I've been since my teens and if I could go back in time I could easily kick my 20, 30 or 40 year-old butt.

So I guess my unpopular opinion is that not only does CICO work, it's the only thing that works. It's the only way anybody loses weight, whether they choose to recognize that fact or not. You can refuse to believe in gravity, but you're still going to hit the ground when you jump out of a tree.

Nope. It'll be because your body used to need 2000 calories to maintain at your previous weight and now you've lost enough that it only needs 1750. Or whatever. I started with a 1710 calorie allotment. 62.4 pounds lost and I'm now at 1380. Nothing to do with eating crap. Everything to do with needing fewer calories to fuel what's left of me.

But you understand something about the physiology behind it... ;)
This discussion has been closed.