Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    mjlfit83 wrote: »
    Mansplaining isn't a thing. Just because a man can't experience something personally, doesn't mean he doesn't know anything about it.

... And before you say 'I' am mansplaining, if you are still deludedly adament that I am, the same can in turn be applied to women. You don't know what men are experiencing, so don't 'womansplain'... Oh wait, does that sound ridiculous?

If mansplaining is not a thing, why do I have men at my parts counter (incorrectly) telling me how their car works when I'm a certified automotive technician and automotive parts person with over 17 years of experience in the industry? If mansplaining is not a thing, why do I have men at my parts counter arguing with me when they have come to the dealership to tap my knowledge and experience? (Like the tardball I just got off the phone with insisting that a wire is run directly from the battery to his 7-pin hitch connector only moments ago). If mansplaining is not a thing, why are there men at my parts counter who do not believe me when I tell them something but have no trouble believing any one of the men I work with when they say the exact same thing as I just did?

How about you GTFOH with your "mansplaining is not a thing" garbage?

It's entirely possible that it has to do with where you're standing and how you're dressed vs your gender.

So what's your theory for why we don't hear guys complaining how their customers refuse to accept their answer and then accept the same information from a female coworker nearly as often? Do you think women are just more sensitive and less capable of observing events rationally?

So your saying this never, ever happens??
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Mansplaining isn't a thing. Just because a man can't experience something personally, doesn't mean he doesn't know anything about it.

... And before you say 'I' am mansplaining, if you are still deludedly adament that I am, the same can in turn be applied to women. You don't know what men are experiencing, so don't 'womansplain'... Oh wait, does that sound ridiculous?

If mansplaining is not a thing, why do I have men at my parts counter (incorrectly) telling me how their car works when I'm a certified automotive technician and automotive parts person with over 17 years of experience in the industry? If mansplaining is not a thing, why do I have men at my parts counter arguing with me when they have come to the dealership to tap my knowledge and experience? (Like the tardball I just got off the phone with insisting that a wire is run directly from the battery to his 7-pin hitch connector only moments ago). If mansplaining is not a thing, why are there men at my parts counter who do not believe me when I tell them something but have no trouble believing any one of the men I work with when they say the exact same thing as I just did?

It's entirely possible that it has to do with where you're standing and how you're dressed vs your gender.

Please do tell me what better place I could be standing than behind the parts counter and directly in front of the professional accreditation indicating that I'm qualified to dispense the knowledge I have? Please also tell me what better way I can be dressed than in my work uniform with a name tag identifying me as the person belonging to said professional accreditation? While you're at it, please explain exactly how what I'm wearing or where I'm standing has any effect on the people I'm talking to over the phone?

Lets see "work uniform" white shirt. tan or dark khaki slacks. That's a salesperson uniform not a technician uniform.

Technicians wear jump suits or coveralls.

Ditto for talking on the phone.... that's what a salesperson does, not a technician.
    Really, just stop trying to explain away my life's experience. These are not isolated incidents that happened only once on a fluke or because someone made a simple mistake. This is years and years of my life--17 years I've worked in this industry, 18 as of August. If you're truly interested in learning the reality of women working in a male-dominated industry, add me a as a friend and we can long, detailed conversations for as long as you like in which I will relate to you the ways that I am diminished for being a woman over and over and over. In the meantime, you dissemblers need to understand that discounting my ability to recognize errors made by kind people versus when people are not nice is incredibly rude.

CSARdriver, I really like your post and I totally agree with it. I am a strong person and I don't require outside validation from any of the people I encounter on a daily basis, which is why I can be happy coming to this job day in and day out. Just because I am confident in my knowledge and abilities and don't let anyone else's ignorance drag me down, however, does not mean that these things do not occur.

For an allegedly strong person you're really wallowing in your pity party. Life is hard all over. Press on, or complain.

Stating facts is not a pity party. Nor is it complaining.

You are talking about experiences of which you have no knowledge and telling me, the person with the experience, that I don't know what I'm talking about. You have no idea what my work uniform looks like and have completely discounted the fact that I wear a name tag. You do not understand the job that I do even as you attempt to tell me how I am deficient at it. You are dismissing me as overly-emotional and unable to gauge other people's behaviour. This is exactly what mansplaining is.

You were cordially invited to discuss this privately but instead decided to mansplain. Even if the women in your life can stomach this kind of crap from you, I'm through. Good day.

By all means, if your "work uniform" isn't a collared shirt and khakis, Say so.

But the fact that you haven't indicates that I hit the nail on the head.

OH, and nobody reads nametags.

And I have no interest in having a private chat.

If you can't effectively articulate and answer my points publicly, then you certainly can't do so privately.

I'm a woman and to be honest if you were behind the counter answering calls and tending to customers then I'd think you were a service associate rather than a technician regardless of what you had on or the fact that your name is attached to your shirt.

Does that make me guilty of womansplaing?
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,753 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

So what's your theory for why we don't hear guys complaining how their customers refuse to accept their answer and then accept the same information from a female coworker nearly as often? Do you think women are just more sensitive and less capable of observing events rationally?

Well, she did say "why don't we hear . . . nearly as often".

I'm thinking there's a hint about the answer to your question in there somewhere.

Perhaps its because "guys" are conditioned/trained/nurtured to desire, embrace, pursue, accept, and flourish in opposition and adversity..

image.jpg
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Can't we all just live together in harmony?

Dreamer. ;)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Can't we all just live together in harmony?

LOL
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    The government where I live disagrees with the mansplainer. Parts technicians are in fact parts technicians, as my professional accreditation shows. But what do I know? I'm just the person who went to school to get the accreditation.

Your accreditation says Journeyman(2016), which is a 4-6 year apprenticeship generally,

You say you've got 18 years experience.

There's some inconsistencies here.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Well, she did say "why don't we hear . . . nearly as often".

I'm thinking there's a hint about the answer to your question in there somewhere.

Perhaps its because "guys" are conditioned/trained/nurtured to desire, embrace, pursue, accept, and flourish in opposition and adversity..

That doesn't seem to have anything to do with the point at hand - the observation that more women than men say they experience having their knowledge and expertise shown disrespect by people not listening to them, explaining things to them that they already know, and/or talking over them, and in many cases listening instead to a male with less knowledge or expertise.

What does being trained to flourish in adversity have to do with this?
This discussion has been closed.