Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited June 2017
    TR0berts wrote: »
    source.gif

This reminds me of about 12 years ago (I think?) when my wife and I were car shopping - for my wife.

We walk around the lot, see a couple of cars we might be interested in. A salesman comes along and starts doing his thing, particularly talking to me. I tell him explicitly that we're looking for my wife. For whatever reason, he keeps telling me about certain features, pretty much ignoring my wife. I tell him that I don't really care too much, and that he should be talking to my wife, since any car we purchase will be for my wife. Oh, OK. Talks to her for less than a minute, then starts up with me again. My wife and I look at each other, and are like, "we've seen all we need to see." D-bag thinks he's made a sale - "oh, you want to take it for a test drive, let me..." "Nah, we're not interested in anything here at all."

I had something similar with taking my car to the shop. Since it would be there a while, I had a friend drive as well to drive me home. The guy kept discussing the repairs for my car with my friend (not even boyfriend). He told the guy several times he didn't care because it wasn't his car. Yet he continued talking as if I wasn't there. When I went back by myself, he was fine, but then there wasn't any options.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    source.gif

This reminds me of about 12 years ago (I think?) when my wife and I were car shopping - for my wife.

We walk around the lot, see a couple of cars we might be interested in. A salesman comes along and starts doing his thing, particularly talking to me. I tell him explicitly that we're looking for my wife. For whatever reason, he keeps telling me about certain features, pretty much ignoring my wife. I tell him that I don't really care too much, and that he should be talking to my wife, since any car we purchase will be for my wife. Oh, OK. Talks to her for less than a minute, then starts up with me again. My wife and I look at each other, and are like, "we've seen all we need to see." D-bag thinks he's made a sale - "oh, you want to take it for a test drive, let me..." "Nah, we're not interested in anything here at all."

We had a similar experience at 2-3 of the dealerships this past year. Even though it was for my girlfriend and she was the one paying. I was in no way, shape, or form involved in owning or buying the car.
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    stormcrow2 wrote: »
    mjlfit83 wrote: »
    Mansplaining isn't a thing. Just because a man can't experience something personally, doesn't mean he doesn't know anything about it.

... And before you say 'I' am mansplaining, if you are still deludedly adament that I am, the same can in turn be applied to women. You don't know what men are experiencing, so don't 'womansplain'... Oh wait, does that sound ridiculous?

If mansplaining is not a thing, why do I have men at my parts counter (incorrectly) telling me how their car works when I'm a certified automotive technician and automotive parts person with over 17 years of experience in the industry? If mansplaining is not a thing, why do I have men at my parts counter arguing with me when they have come to the dealership to tap my knowledge and experience? (Like the tardball I just got off the phone with insisting that a wire is run directly from the battery to his 7-pin hitch connector only moments ago). If mansplaining is not a thing, why are there men at my parts counter who do not believe me when I tell them something but have no trouble believing any one of the men I work with when they say the exact same thing as I just did?

How about you GTFOH with your "mansplaining is not a thing" garbage?

How about because people can be morons without it being a gender issue.

How about because male morons are pretty darned likely to talk down to women?

Yeah, I believe it's a special case of certain people being moronic, arrogant jerks, talking down to someone they implicitly consider to be of lower status. It's the case where the jerk is male, and the person they they're ignoring, condescending to, or insulting is a woman. Sadly, as others' stories illustrate, it's a dead-common case.

Do we need a special word for this thing? Meh. But it's a thing.

I was thinking more along the lines of salesmen, especially car salesmen, who can read you and understand if you're a sucker or not within the first few minutes. They'll give the worst deals to people who don't understand much about cars, prices, etc. (mostly young people and people who are new to buying a car) My economics professor was talking to a friend who sold cars and he told him this. A woman student of his learned this from him and calculated everything at home after talking to the dealer about the price of the car, and it ended up being way off. The dealership was embarrassed and practically gave her the car so that she wouldn't give a terrible review and tell people not to go to that dealership. We learned how to calculate all the data so that we don't get screwed over. lol

To get on topic of an unpopular opinion about health/fitness, I think crossfit is a sureway to injure yourself and to not even understand how to do a proper pull-up, one of the most basic exercises, completely rids them of all credibility.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I think it makes a big difference what foods you eat, not just how many calories you consume. Your body cares about nutrients and other things as well, and having experimented with all this, I am pretty secure in how I feel about it.
This discussion has been closed.