Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm Haribo Gummy Bears and Tootsie Pops kinda guy. Best fuel out there.

Add my vote for Haribo Gummy Bears as well.

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

I keep telling you people... :|

:D:p;)

Oooh, but Haribo Gummy Peaches! Those are soooo good.

rowntrees fruit gums. /discussion.

I take your Fruit Gums and raise you Fruit Pastilles. And milk bottles (I think you have to be proper British to know what those are).

I think I love you <3 h
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    The argument of "meant to" is a weird one. Humans are known for their adaptability. What was that thing that the men adapted to on the Lewis & Clark expedition? Camas root? The first time the ate it they were sick, but with it being the only food source available, they adapted to it (or something like that).

What we are "meant to" do, if anything, is adapt to foods in our environment. It seems very odd to me, if you're going to ascribe to a philosophy of being "meant to" eat certain things, that you'd be plopped into an environment with certain foods not being meant to eat them. Or to better state the reality, given the ability to travel from one environment to another, and having a system which is hardwired to only survive in one's native region.

It just doesn't make sense.

"Meant to do" is inherently a religious argument, as it implies that there is something or someone who imposes meaning.

Perhaps. I am an atheist, and I see it more from the perspective as "meant to" by means of biology/biological imperative.

I do see your argument, but I don't assume that to be the only interpretation you can give to the phrase. I think on the face of it you're probably onto the most widely presupposed one (even if subconsciously done so).

Please note, I don't think we're meant to do anything. I think humans have demonstrated the ability to do some things, and if you're going to use the "meant to" wording for that, well have at it. It doesn't bother me.

I've never conflated the "Humans weren't meant to do" thing with religious beliefs either, i too thought these people were talking about the biological process.

I'm not an atheist though, I just don't believe in religion.

That was my interpretation- it concerns the compatibility of certain foods with what the animal was accustomed to consuming in the environment where it evolved. There is a reason that zoos don't allow people to feed their animals Fritos or Skittles.

What is the relevant period and place where the human evolved for this consideration?

Everywhere humans who were in the pre-agricultural period of advancement existed

That's a hugely diverse diet.

But why on earth would only the pre-agriculture period count? Why we were "meant" to eat whatever humans ate pre agriculture and not what we have eaten since then, even if our own genes reflect those later developments?

Let me revise my time period - the period before man invented hydrogenated vegetable oil and Yellow #5.

So nothing to do with dairy, then, which was the specific food under discussion that it was claimed we were not "meant" to consume. That and gluten (also firmly early agriculture, if not before).

On the other hand, there are a number of things from even the later period that I would have a hard time justifying that we are not "meant" to have, like lots of antibiotics.

I don't know anything about whatever debates exist about Yellow Dye # 5, but here is some information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartrazine, under the header "myths":

"Rumors began circulating about tartrazine in the 1990s regarding a link to its consumption (specifically its use in Mountain Dew) and adverse effects on male potency, testicle and penis size, and sperm count. There are no documented cases supporting the claim tartrazine will shrink a man's penis or cause it to stop growing."

I mentioned agricultural periods of development above because that is when humans began to raise animals instead of just hunting them, and that is when they started consuming the milk of some of these animals. This only started 7-8 thousand years ago - placing that in the context of the millions of years that humans have existed in one form or another, it is a blink of the eye. So I don't think that it is illogical to state that we weren't "meant" to consume animal milk, since it is something that we only "recently" started doing. The same with cooking our food - until fire was discovered we ate raw meat, so given that, in the grand scheme of things, we weren't "meant" to eat our food cooked. It doesn't mean we shouldn't.

Humans and animals are able to consume all sorts of substances that they weren't "meant" to eat - the logic of eating things that were nonexistent through much of evolution varies. I watched a goose in the park the other day eat a cigarette butt. There are boneheads at the beach that feed seagulls french fries. I think we can agree that just because a person/animal can eat something doesn't necessarily mean that he/she/it should eat it.

Just an add on. The agricultural revolution was 10,000 years ago, so around 8,000 BC. But even before the agricultural revolution humans were eating grains as part of hunting and gathering. Domestication of animals ( and milk and blood consumption) came before that currently proof as far back as 12,000 years ago. The theory is that hunter gathers domesticated animals and lived a nomadic lifestyle moving with their herds before settling down and adding agriculture to the mix. Don't forget too that while humans have evolved over millions of years as recently as 30,000 years ago there were multiple different subspecies of humans running around the planet. In addition evolution doesn't stop, it is continuous. Just because we didn't eat something 30,000 years ago doesn't mean we're not evolved to eat it now.

So... paleo diet is bunk?
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member

Also that you can't lose weight because you are on x medication, or you have y disability, etc. I take a significant amount of medications to prevent seizures, 2 of which cause weight gain. I also have knee problems. Yet here I am working, not having seizures, going back to school, AND losing weight. I have no patience for *kittens* and their pity parties.

I agree completely! I also take anti seizure medications that cause weight gain and suffer from physical disabilities but these are obstacles to overcome not fate. I am on 1200 calories a day to maintain weight... it's just my reality with my ability level for activity being so low and the medications. I've never let myself go and never gotten overweight. I similarly have no patience for people's excuses as to staying overweight and giving up trying to be a healthy weight.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    - i don't like dogs. i don't hate them, i just seriously don't give a damn about them. and i have only contempt for corporations that let people bring their dogs to work as if everyone just automatically thinks that that's wonderful. that would be great if they'd let me stay home on that day.

Yes! Me too. I'm actually allergic to them too. There's a movement of nurses trying to get "therapy dogs" allowed into hospitals such that each ward would have a resident dog or two. I'm really disgusted and against this.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm Haribo Gummy Bears and Tootsie Pops kinda guy. Best fuel out there.

Add my vote for Haribo Gummy Bears as well.

Wrong. Sour Patch Kids.

I keep telling you people... :|

:D:p;)

Oooh, but Haribo Gummy Peaches! Those are soooo good.

rowntrees fruit gums. /discussion.

I take your Fruit Gums and raise you Fruit Pastilles. And milk bottles (I think you have to be proper British to know what those are).

I'm going all in on Fruit Gems. Hnnng...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    peppypea wrote: »
    OK, dunno if I will be lost in the shuffle, but I'll post mine:
    Organic is a scam and a waste of money

GMO are safe and verified and there is no need to label them
    o

You might be surprised, but many advocates for GMO labelling weren't asking for it due to safety concerns but for religious reasons. Their religious leaders view genetic modification as playing God and therefore immoral. So they do not want to support what they view to be an immoral industry. This isn't different from requests to label kosher or halal food, so why object to labelling GMOs?

As long as we start with corn and oranges...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Here's an article about how anti GMO is basically a religious approach and takes the position that as a result it should be treated like kosher certification: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2016/03/the_gmo_labeling_movement_is_about_faith_not_facts.html

(I'm cool with this.)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

o

You might be surprised, but many advocates for GMO labelling weren't asking for it due to safety concerns but for religious reasons. Their religious leaders view genetic modification as playing God and therefore immoral. So they do not want to support what they view to be an immoral industry. This isn't different from requests to label kosher or halal food, so why object to labelling GMOs?

Organic is similarly labelled and desired for by many for moral reasons. Many people buying organic believe in the tenets of organic food production which have higher environmental and animal welfare standards than conventional means. If people are willing to pay extra for eggs produced by free range chickens because free range chickens are happier than barn raised chickens, why not allow that market to exist?

I wouldn't say many...very few actually would have this reason...

most companies who want the label is for money as they feel it will drive consumers to their "organic" foods.
    The companies not wanting it is because they know people will fear those letters "GMO" as consumers are not that smart and won't believe GMO's aren't harmful..

so these are the main reasons for companies...aka money

consumers mostly feel it is their right to know what they are eating...

funny thing is most foods consumed since the 70's I believe are GMO...

• stanmann571

o

This is actually an argument for keeping it as is.

Foods are kosher certified or halal (as opposed to the gov't requiring that non kosher foods be labelled non kosher, which would be silly as what does the gov't know about what meets or does not meet kosher requirements), so similarly foods could be (as many are -- WF is just full of them) labelled non GMO.

If you are imagining there's some rule against labelling foods non-GMO, you are mistaken. The debate (in the US anyway) is about requiring that GMO foods be labelled as such.

The real debate is where the line between gmo and GMO should be drawn. Hybridization, even forced or cross species hybridization is not a new technology or concept.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited June 2017

o

Organic is similarly labelled and desired for by many for moral reasons. Many people buying organic believe in the tenets of organic food production which have higher environmental and animal welfare standards than conventional means. If people are willing to pay extra for eggs produced by free range chickens because free range chickens are happier than barn raised chickens, why not allow that market to exist?

Actually, kosher concerns are one reason that GMO labeling is advocated. All fruits and vegetables in nature are kosher by definition. Insects are not. So, if the fresh tomatoes I buy have been modified by firefly genes, this could be a concern. (The debate is ongoing; some kosher authorities say that it is, some that it isn't. But clearly, without specific labeling, there's no way for the average consumer to be sure whether the produce they're buying raises these issues.)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

o

Actually, kosher concerns are one reason that GMO labeling is advocated. All fruits and vegetables in nature are kosher by definition. Insects are not. So, if the fresh tomatoes I buy have been modified by firefly genes, this could be a concern. (The debate is ongoing; some kosher authorities say that it is, some that it isn't. But clearly, without specific labeling, there's no way for the average consumer to be sure whether the produce they're buying raises these issues.)

That would be the same as labelling everything "not kosher" instead of the few things that are "kosher", though.
  • stanmann571

o

So for understanding. And I'm asking seriously.

Tomato with firefly genes. possibly not kosher
    Tomato with orange genes. probably kosher
    Tomato with salmon or sheep genes. Probably kosher

How would generic GMO labeling help resolve this?

Especially considering that certain varietals of grape, corn, and orange have been cross species(but not cross category?)... since the 1800s. In other words... plant with plant vs plant with animal
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited June 2017
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

You don't really need 8 glasses of water- thirst exists for a reason

Almost no one can follow a fad diet forever- and healthful changes will only last with a change you can sustain for the long haul

That's all I got for now

Science>woo

You might find more and more people are seeing this. Although there are still a lot of propaganda driven "mocumentaries" out there.

Even sarcasm wouldn't make that comment appropriate...

Lol.

@nutmegoreo - they deleted that mean post I was multi-quoting and left part of yours still up - makes it look like I was just quoting you and pepptpea, so I get flagged. heh
This discussion has been closed.