Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    The government where I live disagrees with the mansplainer. Parts technicians are in fact parts technicians, as my professional accreditation shows. But what do I know? I'm just the person who went to school to get the accreditation.

Your accreditation says Journeyman(2016), which is a 4-6 year apprenticeship generally,

You say you've got 18 years experience.

There's some inconsistencies here.

I was curious about the differences in Parts Technicians/Managers in Canada - compared to the USA, as I've been around the industry quite a bit in my life. I'm a hobby mechanic and a few of my friends own specialty shops and build racing cars... so I looked it up. Seems pretty similar to the job around here - same responsibilities at least. I've never put to much emphasis on the term "technician" as the word that precedes that title is usually the focus.

https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/trades-occupations/profiles/0271/
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    mjlfit83 wrote: »
    Mansplaining isn't a thing. Just because a man can't experience something personally, doesn't mean he doesn't know anything about it.

... And before you say 'I' am mansplaining, if you are still deludedly adament that I am, the same can in turn be applied to women. You don't know what men are experiencing, so don't 'womansplain'... Oh wait, does that sound ridiculous?

If mansplaining is not a thing, why do I have men at my parts counter (incorrectly) telling me how their car works when I'm a certified automotive technician and automotive parts person with over 17 years of experience in the industry? If mansplaining is not a thing, why do I have men at my parts counter arguing with me when they have come to the dealership to tap my knowledge and experience? (Like the tardball I just got off the phone with insisting that a wire is run directly from the battery to his 7-pin hitch connector only moments ago). If mansplaining is not a thing, why are there men at my parts counter who do not believe me when I tell them something but have no trouble believing any one of the men I work with when they say the exact same thing as I just did?

How about you GTFOH with your "mansplaining is not a thing" garbage?

It's entirely possible that it has to do with where you're standing and how you're dressed vs your gender.

So what's your theory for why we don't hear guys complaining how their customers refuse to accept their answer and then accept the same information from a female coworker nearly as often? Do you think women are just more sensitive and less capable of observing events rationally?

So your saying this never, ever happens??

Well, she did say "why don't we hear . . . nearly as often".

I'm thinking there's a hint about the answer to your question in there somewhere.

Perhaps its because "guys" are conditioned/trained/nurtured to desire, embrace, pursue, accept, and flourish in opposition and adversity..

That doesn't seem to have anything to do with the point at hand - the observation that more women than men say they experience having their knowledge and expertise shown disrespect by people not listening to them, explaining things to them that they already know, and/or talking over them, and in many cases listening instead to a male with less knowledge or expertise.

What does being trained to flourish in adversity have to do with this?

Men Successful people experience disrespect and move on. They don't talk about it *In Public*. and they generally don't complain about how someone disrespected their "nametag and certification".

For the record anyone... male or female who demands respect based on a "nametag and certificate" isn't likely to get it.

Fixed.

As someone told me early on "Never rely on the letters behind your name. You must always rely on the substance of your word."

You're absolutely correct.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    What does any of the previous three or so pages of this topic have to do with our unpopular health opinions?

we are on page 44, so nothing.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My unpopular opinion is that there is no way we all need to be drinking all this water. I see multiple people bring in their water bottles for a 45 MINUTE church service. Seriously? I know some people may have medical conditions or dry mouth or whatever, but your average person can't make it 45 minutes without their water?? It's like a weird status thing.

I totally agree with this! I remember going to a lecture on urinary incontinence in women, and the lecturer said at one point, "sometimes, it just boils down to a woman just drinking too much water! I mean, the recommendation for eight 8 oz glasses of water a day was pulled out of thin air!"

Yes, I think if you are thirsty water is the best thing to drink, yes, if you are going on a run in hot weather, hydrate. but you do not need to drink to the point your urine has no yellow in it at all, and feeling thirsty is not a sign you are way too dehydrated and it's too late (which is what I was told many years ago when I first started running).

anyway, sorry if this post is a distraction! :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.