Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I think pregnant women should do whatever it takes to have a healthy baby and maintain their sanity. Making a human ain't a walk in the park.

Hahahahaha. ... you used the words "women" and "sanity" together in the same sentence.

That is pure comedy gold right there, it damn sure is.

Right. Because every woman is the same. :noway:

Oh wait... what am I doing here? I again should be in the kitchen. Sorry!

Lighten up, baby; I was clowning.

I'm not your baby.

thanks for being a good sport

<3

K.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    PeytonHA13 wrote: »
    I don't believe humans were necessarily meant to eat grain nor dairy... Maybe some have adapted but I know many people and myself feel terrible after eating any gluten or dairy.

I agree! Think of how many people are intolerant to lactose. Cows milk is meant for baby cows, not us.

What about those of us who love and tolerate dairy? I don't think there's been a day since I've been a small child that i haven't had dairy. My breakfast, lunch and dessert contains some sort of dairy every single day.

Well then you are part of the exception and I am jealous of you. However, the symptoms of intolerance aren't always quite so straightforward and obvious as an upset stomach. Not saying that you have an intolerance, just something to think about.

So 90 % are the exception???
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I
    I don't believe humans were necessarily meant to eat grain nor dairy... Maybe some have adapted but I know many people and myself feel terrible after eating any gluten or dairy.

Humans are not meant to travel in space and we still do...

And that is that same how...???

If we were not meant to do it than we should not, right?

I never said that people are wrong for eating it. I really don't care who eats what but this is an opinion board and I was adding mine... that humans aren't made for digesting gluten and dairy.

The reason you are getting pushback is the term "made to" or "meant" -- which, whether you intended it as such or not is a religious statement implying that humans were made with a purpose. (I actually am religious, but think one should be careful about making statements like that outside of a religious context and that mix what we can determine with science and beliefs about purpose or teleology or whatever.)

Beyond that, it's not so much an opinion as a statement of belief about something that either is or is not factual: humans have trouble digesting gluten/dairy. That's simply not true as a generalized statement, as people have pointed out. Some have trouble with one or both of those things, and bummer for them, IMO.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I

I never said that people are wrong for eating it. I really don't care who eats what but this is an opinion board and I was adding mine... that humans aren't made for digesting gluten and dairy.

The reason you are getting pushback is the term "made to" or "meant" -- which, whether you intended it as such or not is a religious statement implying that humans were made with a purpose. (I actually am religious, but think one should be careful about making statements like that outside of a religious context and that mix what we can determine with science and beliefs about purpose or teleology or whatever.)

Beyond that, it's not so much an opinion as a statement of belief about something that either is or is not factual: humans have trouble digesting gluten/dairy. That's simply not true as a generalized statement, as people have pointed out. Some have trouble with one or both of those things, and bummer for them, IMO.

Honestly, I tend to agree with the idea that grown up people should eat grownup food. Which means that for dairy, cheeses, yoghurts, kefirs are more appropriate for adults than milk. But I tend to phrase it as a preference, rather than as a rule.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I

Honestly, I tend to agree with the idea that grown up people should eat grownup food. Which means that for dairy, cheeses, yoghurts, kefirs are more appropriate for adults than milk. But I tend to phrase it as a preference, rather than as a rule.

how is milk not "a grown up food"...just curious.

My husband loves milk...cereal, mixes it with protein shakes, drinks it...my dad used to drink a glass every time he ate french fries...it was his thing.

It's like saying apple just is just for toddlers too...

As for the "not meant to eat grains/dairy" business...whatever...goes along with the post that said we are the only species that drinks the fluid of another animal which is BS..

I expect people originally were barefoot and only lives possibly into their 30s but bam here we are evolved n *kitten* living into our 90's.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in not drinking my calories. I like beverages. I drink my water, but I fit in beverages because I like them. Drinking *only* water is not something I want to do.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in not drinking my calories. I like beverages. I drink my water, but I fit in beverages because I like them. Drinking *only* water is not something I want to do.

goes along with one of my opinions...however I don't think they are that unpopular.

Fit it in...live life...just because you are losing weight/maintaining weight doesn't mean you can never eat/drink X again...

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I

I never said that people are wrong for eating it. I really don't care who eats what but this is an opinion board and I was adding mine... that humans aren't made for digesting gluten and dairy. If you do eat it that's your choice and that's fine. I eat it sometimes as well. But gluten is an inflammatory food so if you are sick of having aches and pains that don't seem to have an explanation, you might try cutting out gluten. And if you have issues with acne, bloating, and other hormonal issues, you might try cutting out dairy.
    I am not a scientist, just a girl with an opinion... that's what this page is for right? OPINIONS? didn't realize that mine was so personally offensive -_-

The idea that we were made, or created, to do or not do anything in particular and that we should avoid doing that which we were not made to do is inherently a religious argument.
This discussion has been closed.