Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    It surprises me that Australia has such high prices. I mean, I understand it being so for imported processed (foreign) stuff, but can't you guys grow cows and sheep and corn about the same as we here in the U.S.? I guess I'll add to my gratitude list "affordable and wide variety of food." It must be a subsidy or policy issue.

I don't suppose my rambling belongs in this thread, does it?

unpopular: I think evangelical food discussions should be banished along with talk about abortion, religion and politics in polite conversation.

On here, bring it. :wink:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It surprises me that Australia has such high prices. I mean, I understand it being so for imported processed (foreign) stuff, but can't you guys grow cows and sheep and corn about the same as we here in the U.S.? I guess I'll add to my gratitude list "affordable and wide variety of food." It must be a subsidy or policy issue.

I don't suppose my rambling belongs in this thread, does it?

unpopular: I think evangelical food discussions should be banished along with talk about abortion, religion and politics in polite conversation.

On here, bring it. :wink:

I think it correlates to wages. Our wages are a lot higher than in the U.S, so therefore we have to pay more for everything. The minimum wage here is $17- $18 per hour, this is for 18+ year olds. My 22 year old son is working at the submarine base as a trade assistant, he brings a home a minimum of $1100 per week, I don't even want to know what the workers with a bona fide trade make, big $$$$.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    @Christine_72 I'm curious how much you pay for boneless leg of lamb there? At Costco it's imported from Australia and is priced anywhere from $4-7 per pound. Which is pretty cheap, imo. I'd be amazed if Australians paid more for lamb than US does for an Australian import.
  • Christine_72
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @Lourdesong Boneless leg of lamb is $19 per kg 1kg = 2.2lbs. This is the price from my local Butcher who i just called, not sure if supermarkets are much cheaper or dearer. Butchers are "usually" cheaper here.

ETA: I just rang the supermarket who are supposed to have competitive prices, and they charge $25 per kg. I don't eat lamb so didnt know the prices off the top of my head.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    Don't hate me but the whole "you can be obese and healthy" mindset is absurd to me. Define healthy. You mean to tell me your joints don't ever hurt? You aren't at risk for more diseases than if you were of a normal weight? Be honest with yourself! Let's stop sugar coating (no pun intended) this by calling it "body positivity."

This ⬆️

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    @Lourdesong Boneless leg of lamb is $19 per kg 1kg = 2.2lbs. This is the price from my local Butcher who i just called, not sure if supermarkets are much cheaper or dearer. Butchers are "usually" cheaper here.

ETA: I just rang the supermarket who are supposed to have competitive prices, and they charge $25 per kg. I don't eat lamb so didnt know the prices off the top of my head.

So if I assume $10 AUD per lb, that's $7-something USD per lb, so yeah, you're paying more, even if just a little more, for some reason.

You really didn't have to go to all the trouble to call around for prices to satisfy my curiosity, but that you did was pretty cool of you. :)

Boneless leg of lamb where I am in around $13 per kilo, so it also depends a lot of where you're located. In my book, $25 a kilo for boneless lamb leg is outrageous.
  • Christine_72
    Options

So if I assume $10 AUD per lb, that's $7-something USD per lb, so yeah, you're paying more, even if just a little more, for some reason.

You really didn't have to go to all the trouble to call around for prices to satisfy my curiosity, but that you did was pretty cool of you. :)

Boneless leg of lamb where I am in around $13 per kilo, so it also depends a lot of where you're located. In my book, $25 a kilo for boneless lamb leg is outrageous.

The $25 one was from Woolies. I'm in SA.

No worries :smile: Your question made me curious to see the price differences.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I looked up watermelons on a supermarket site. I don't think you want to know.........

£3.50 for a giant one

You suck! :tongue:

Watermelon: about 30 cents per kilo.

We don't have frozen meals other than pizza, but let me say it's cheaper to just order it from a fast food restaurant. I bought a small one the other day for $6. I wish I looked at the price before throwing it on my grocery pile.

We don't have Halo Top, but anything specialty food is expensive. I was able to find Quest bars at $7 I think.

McDonald's is on the cheaper side and clocks at about $7 for a meal.

People often doubt me when I say that more than 90% of my food is home cooked and minimally processed and has always been that way regardless of my weight, but given that the average annual income of the individual is about 20% of that in US and Australia and how relatively cheap fresh foods are, it's expected.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    On the flip of things being more expensive in Australia - our wages are significantly higher than the US. I mean, absolute buttloads higher. A person flipping burgers at McDonalds is on $18 an hour. Working behind a bar can get you up to $30 an hour, depending on the day. More on public holidays etc.

Working in an office is easily a minimum $35,000 per year job with 4 weeks paid holidays, 10 paid sick days and maternity leave.

When I lived in the US, I worked at a shop for $6 an hour, and as an office manager/paralegal for $10 an hour. No paid leave whatsoever. No healthcare, no benefits.

Having lived and worked in both countries, prices may be higher here, but I can afford to live a lot better here than I could there.

This.

It's about wages vs cost of living. You can't compare apples to apples (or lamb to lamb as it were) without adjusting for that.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    I believe fast food is toxic and should only be eaten if last/only food on the planet. Very unpopular view here on MFP.
    I believe that HAES is a ballocks
    I believe that being healthy and fit is the true body positivity and self love...not this pretend love for self while destroying ones body through obesity and neglect.

Hi
    I would have to disagree that all FF is toxic, what part of selectively eating it is toxic. Hamburger is hamburger no where it is cooked, slices of cheese and the bun, same thing. The Lettuce, Onions and Tomatoes should also be OK.

In my case every now & then I buy a Burger King Whopper with the flame broiled hamburger, no cheese. Discard most of the bun, Eat the Vegetables and the Burger as 95% of it. That gives me what becomes a flame broiled Beef Patty and a vegetable salad,

OTOH I do find that many baked goods are bad for me. Sweets such as Pies, Cakes, Donuts, Cookies, Bagels, cupcakes and Ice cream have a instant effect in causing a huge craving for more of them. Add in the way they lead to water retention which is much worse than happens with salty foods BTW and I Try to stay away from them.

Or to put it another way there are worse things to eat than Fast Food.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    re: cost of eating well. I don't spend any more or less than I did before on food. I spend about $150.00-175.00/week now same as when I was obese.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't spend more either. I probably spend less, as I am less likely to order in for dinner (which is expensive) or to buy lunch (same, compared to cooking), and more likely to use all of the food I buy and not let anything go to waste (which happened when I cooked less consistently, although really that change happened quite a while ago). Also, when I do go out to eat I'm more likely to get 2-3 meals out of it.

I think a lot of the comparisons are not like to like. A candy bar is a snack, carrots are part of a meal and contribute nutrients, so calorie to calorie is not the point. Similarly, McD's should be compared to cheaper at home staples, like ground beef, chicken thighs, frozen and in season veg, not organic out of season stuff. Wild-caught salmon and grass fed beef and organics need to be compared to restaurants that serve that kind of stuff or convenience foods that involve them -- typically you pay for convenience.

Now, IMO, nothing wrong with paying for convenience, especially if it's worth the cost to make eating well more sustainable.
  • morganfx
    morganfx Posts: 12 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with aspartame. I dare not mention this in public.

I was this close to having a full-blown argument with my coworker about aspartame a few weeks ago lol I feel your pain.

I drink generic diet coke. I might as well be drinking antifreeze!

I drink diet Mountain Dew. I think that is antifreeze.

Edited for spelling.
This discussion has been closed.