Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Here's my #1 unpopular opinion: I think there's far too much woo and derp surrounding keto/low-carb dieting.

I don't have any problem with the diet/way of eating/whatever you want to call it in itself - it can be a viable, healthy modality if used correctly. What I have a problem with are all the claims of magick and wizardry surrounding it, the scientifically unfounded demonization of carbohydrates/sugars, and the total ignorance of context and dosage. Not to mention the unscrupulous and unhinged "doctors" and "researchers" who delude their followers with cherry-picked research, pseudoscience and complete denial of the most basic concepts of physiology to further their agenda and sell their books/products.

Keto/low-carb has shown some efficacy in helping with some specific medical conditions. It's not a panacea which will miraculously cure every disease known to man, nor is it a magical solution to weight loss which somehow defies the laws of energy balance.

If it helps you (the general "you") with your satiety and adherence, cool. Good for you, you've found what works for you, go forth and enjoy. But that doesn't mean it's The One True Way for everybody and that all the poor, unwashed non-keto mortals are going to drop dead of the diabeetus because they ate a banana for breakfast or had a couple slices of bread with dinner.

*In my opinion.*

In short, there is no problem with eating low carb, just problems with low carbers :)

Just the millitant ones.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    - The people who brag that "I lost all of my weight eating junk food everyday". This is not something to be proud of.

That's one I can't get behind. Losing weight is always something to be proud of. Just because I did it with a serving of ice cream and some chocolate chips in my Greek yogurt, you don't get to take that away from me.

The concept that what one eats or doesn't eat should be a source of pride is an idea that's been really harmful to me in the past. It's food.

Saddling it with additional moral weight may work for some people, but not for me.

This
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I won't debate any of these, but I have several unpopular opinions.

1. I do believe that food can be considered healthy, junk, good, bad, franken food, etc. If you can enjoy them and still reach your goals, that's great! If not, or if you don't want to, then that is fine as well. Do what works for you.
    2. There are militants in every "diet". There is no reason to bash people who do paleo/low carb/keto, but don't think your way is the only way. There are more reasonable people out there, but they are sensible enough not to get into these debates.
    3. The people who throw away perfectly good food baffle me. I am not talking about a bite or two of a pizza, but a slice that was given to them by a coworker, or Halloween candy that could have easily been donated. We're adults; at some point you have to stop thinking you're hurting someone's feelings over something as silly as food.
    4. There are socioeconomic disparities and barriers that have negative impacts on weight and overall health.
    5. That being said, people who do have the resources, yet claim it's so difficult to afford a healthier lifestyle either are doing it wrong, or are just making excuses. You don't need to go to a gym to exercise, and healthy food can be affordable if you know how to budget (sales, cutting down on eating out, cutting out or choosing a smaller size of that daily vanilla latte).

6. There is a lot of "woo" science out there, but you can learn something from even the oddballs. Chris Kresser, for instance, believes in CICO. I still would not ever follow his detox program.

I am sure there are some more, but I can't remember any of them. I also have a lot of unpopular opinions according to the paleo/low carb/whatever trendy diet is out there now, even though I am doing the first two. I am an equal opportunity opinionater. :smiley:

I was just trying to find a way to say the bolded statement earlier today- thank you for putting it down so clearly.

I agree with everything in this post except possibly #3, which I am not sure I am interpreting correctly or not. I agree that food shouldn't be tossed if at all possible to eat/share/donate, but I don't feel super obligated to eat another office worker's Halloween candy or food. In those situations, I either refuse to grab some if it is out or if I was given food, I try to share with as many people around me as possible. I don't really like when other people force food on me that I don't want and I certainly don't just take food and then toss it to avoid "hurting" someone's feelings. I just won't take the food. But if a co-worker handed me a slice of pizza I didn't ask for and couldn't eat (like I just finished my own lunch), I would decline taking it or put it back with the rest of the pizza. I just set up my food ahead of time most days and if I can't rearrange for something like this, I won't eat it. Leftovers for dinner I sometimes take (if I can transport it) but I don't feel obligated to do that if someone else brought in too much food. I think whoever brought in the food is responsible for making sure if it is not fully eaten, it is not wasted.
  • inertiastrength

1. I do believe that food can be considered healthy, junk, good, bad, franken food, etc. If you can enjoy them and still reach your goals, that's great! If not, or if you don't want to, then that is fine as well. Do what works for you.
    2. There are militants in every "diet". There is no reason to bash people who do paleo/low carb/keto, but don't think your way is the only way. There are more reasonable people out there, but they are sensible enough not to get into these debates.
    3. The people who throw away perfectly good food baffle me. I am not talking about a bite or two of a pizza, but a slice that was given to them by a coworker, or Halloween candy that could have easily been donated. We're adults; at some point you have to stop thinking you're hurting someone's feelings over something as silly as food.
    4. There are socioeconomic disparities and barriers that have negative impacts on weight and overall health.
    5. That being said, people who do have the resources, yet claim it's so difficult to afford a healthier lifestyle either are doing it wrong, or are just making excuses. You don't need to go to a gym to exercise, and healthy food can be affordable if you know how to budget (sales, cutting down on eating out, cutting out or choosing a smaller size of that daily vanilla latte).
    6. There is a lot of "woo" science out there, but you can learn something from even the oddballs. Chris Kresser, for instance, believes in CICO. I still would not ever follow his detox program.

I am sure there are some more, but I can't remember any of them. I also have a lot of unpopular opinions according to the paleo/low carb/whatever trendy diet is out there now, even though I am doing the first two. I am an equal opportunity opinionater. :smiley:

also this
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member

I was just trying to find a way to say the bolded statement earlier today- thank you for putting it down so clearly.

I agree with everything in this post except possibly #3, which I am not sure I am interpreting correctly or not. I agree that food shouldn't be tossed if at all possible to eat/share/donate, but I don't feel super obligated to eat another office worker's Halloween candy or food. In those situations, I either refuse to grab some if it is out or if I was given food, I try to share with as many people around me as possible. I don't really like when other people force food on me that I don't want and I certainly don't just take food and then toss it to avoid "hurting" someone's feelings. I just won't take the food. But if a co-worker handed me a slice of pizza I didn't ask for and couldn't eat (like I just finished my own lunch), I would decline taking it or put it back with the rest of the pizza. I just set up my food ahead of time most days and if I can't rearrange for something like this, I won't eat it. Leftovers for dinner I sometimes take (if I can transport it) but I don't feel obligated to do that if someone else brought in too much food. I think whoever brought in the food is responsible for making sure if it is not fully eaten, it is not wasted.

That's what I meant! I have read some posts on here where people are actually wondering what to do if a coworker gives them food, and some of the responses have been, "I just throw it away when they aren't looking". I don't really understand why it is hard to refuse unless if you are new and still figuring things out. Your approach is perfectly reasonable.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    That's what I meant! I have read some posts on here where people are actually wondering what to do if a coworker gives them food, and some of the responses have been, "I just throw it away when they aren't looking". I don't really understand why it is hard to refuse unless if you are new and still figuring things out. Your approach is perfectly reasonable.

Ah okay, I see what you are saying. Then yes, +1 to your post :smiley:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

It shouldn't be, unless your coworkers are unusually pushy and obnoxious.

I had a friend who behaved like that (except regarding beer) once upon a time, so I can sympathize. Unlike a coworker situation, I was free to tell her to *kitten* off at the 100th 'c'mon, just try some'. And I did. Actually, had to do it several times until she quit speaking with me entirely - and no, she wasn't even slightly tipsy.

If we'd been at work I'd have just taken the damn beer, somehow resisted the urge not make a scene by beaning her over the head with it, and pretended to drink some just to shut her up.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I'm not following this, or not seeing why you think it's unpopular, perhaps.

Of course there's no reason to bash people who do a specific diet. What I think is found unreasonable is claiming that diet is the One True Way or evangelizing it as better than other diets, in general, claiming that not eating keto or paleo or whatever = unhealthy.

Eh, this doesn't happen much, but if someone leaves me a cookie I don't want on my desk with a note saying "thinking of you," I might toss it (although I wouldn't make a thing about it or tell anyone). Why not? You cannot donate something like that.
  • inertiastrength
    I've tossed pieces of office birthday cake before, I doubt the shelter would have been able to do much with a 3" square of macros I didn't have to spare that day lol
  • BrutalMeHonest
    BrutalMeHonest Posts: 42 Member
    Organic, Non-GMO, "natural", detoxes, cleanses... all of the silly woo BS. Makes me really angry especially when I see members shame others for things like having a water enhancer or something. People are so quick to follow whatever they're told by some edgy opinion blog that they totally disregard scientific truth.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I genuinely think a size 10, or 8-12, is usually *perfect* on a taller girl. Meanwhile most of my female friends strive for size 2 or 4, whether they are currently a size 6 or 28 doesn't seem to matter to them.

you do understand that the size 8-10 today is totally dif than it was 15 years ago right?
    and that by saying that 8-12 is "perfect" for taller girls shows that you really aren't in touch with being taller.

When I was a 12 I was considered over weight...now I am in line with my weight I am a size 6...5lbs down I am a size 4...

I think apparently people have gotten so used to fat being normal that it is seen as "perfect"

@SezxyStef

You are not wrong:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/10/health/weight-loss-giving-up-diet-obesity-study/index.html
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    @WinoGelato I will admit that my first thought when i see diaries over run with packet/convenience/take away meals is they are either lazy and/or cant cook :blushing:

Awesome. Let me tell you about my typical weekday. Wake at 5:30 am. Spend about 30 minutes with morning routine. 6-6:15 am I check emails that came in overnight from Europe and Asia for work and answer any which are critical. Work out from 6;15 -7:15 am. 7:15-7:30 get my kids (6 and 8 year old boys) up and get them ready for the day (breakfast, make sure they got dressed, brushed teeth, etc, pack lunches for them). 7:30-8am I get ready for work. 8-8:30 I gather everything up for myself (computer, breakfast, lunch) and the kids (backpacks, water bottles, lunches, and the stuff they need for evening activities as well), drive to drop them off at school and then get myself to work by 8:30 or 8:45. I heat my breakfast up (if hot breakfast like a breakfast sandwich or bowl) or eat the yogurt, granola, and fruit I brought from home while I am getting situated in the office. I am in meetings most of the day, and when I do break for lunch, I either have leftovers from a meal that I cooked myself the night before, or I have a frozen meal that I can heat up. I eat at my desk and go for a 30 minute walk at lunch. I work till 5:30 and leave to get my kids by 5:45 or 6pm, then take them to soccer or baseball practice, tutoring, scouts. Sometimes multiple activities in the same night. The whole time I am trying to walk, as well as check more emails on my phone, sometimes calls with Asia while I am at the ball field. We usually get home from the activities by 7:30, at which point I help them with homework (15-30 min) and then have to figure out dinner. Yes, I like to cook and am not bad at it - but on nights like this often hamburger helper with a salad, or a skillet meal, or grilled cheese and tomato soup wins. I get that together while the kids are in the bath, we try to eat around 8pm, and then I spend about an hour putting them to bed and reading to them. By the time I get them in bed it is after 9pm and I have to clean up the kitchen, lay out clothes for the next day, - sometimes if I do want to cook myself a nice meal I do it after they have gone to bed and I eat around 9:30 pm. I spend about an hour just vegging out, watching TV, before getting ready for bed around 10:30, reading for a half hour or so, and finally go to sleep around 11 pm so I can get up and do it all over again.

I can see how that makes me sound lazy.

But thank you for making the point about why my opinion that these foods are a helpful addition to my life is unpopular.

BRA-*kitten*-VO.

Perhaps before assuming someone is lazy, you may consider they may have less time on their hands than you perhaps do.

I don't tend to think people lazy for choosing convenience foods except for cases where I know it's true. But I do think they are often using lack of time as an excuse to eat convenience foods instead of something that might be a little healthier. It doesn't take any longer to bake frozen fish and precut broccoli in the oven than it does a frozen pizza. It doesn't take any longer to make an omelet or stir fry using precut vegetables than it does to make Hamburger Helper.

I'm not suggesting anyone shouldn't eat whatever they want, just saying I rarely buy the "I don't have time" excuse.

How about those of us with chronic illnesses that physically or cognitively impair ones ability to cook. Even sometimes things you can throw in the oven. I forget and burn things. Not yet burned my flat down but that's because I know when not to cook.

I don't use frozen meals but here in the UK we have massive choice of fresh meals from the fridge. My nutrition and macros are fine.

Here's the ingredients of a few of those awful convenience foods.

This is chilli and rice:

Cooked Rice (Water, Long Grain Rice), Red Pepper (18%), British Beef (17%), Onion, Red Kidney Beans (11%), Tomato (6%), Beef Stock (Beef Juices, Tomato Paste, Onion, Carrot), Tomato Purée, Cornflour, Garlic Purée, Rapeseed Oil, Coriander Leaf, Cumin, Salt, Smoked Paprika, Molasses, Chilli Powder, Oregano, Coriander, Black Pepper.

Tomato and basil chicken:

Baby Potato (42%), Tomato (25%), British Chicken (20%), Onion, Water, Rapeseed Oil, Sundried Tomato, Garlic Purée, Tomato Purée, Sugar, Cornflour, Olive Oil, Sunflower Oil, Rosemary, Basil, Salt, Potato Starch, White Wine Vinegar, Oregano, Black Pepper, Lemon Juice from Concentrate, Garlic Extract, Basil Extract.

But yeah, totally nutritionally deficient and full of preservatives. Carry on judging me.
    Over here in the U.S., I'm pretty sure those same foods would be laced with preservatives, particularly when it comes to cheaper brands.

In addition to preservatives, here in the US the cheaper brands would also include artificial colors and flavors, partially hydrogenated oil. etc. I was wanting some Suddenly Pasta Salad, looked at a few boxes at the store, saw they had lots of ingredients I don't eat, and made Pasta With Marinated Tomatoes and Summer Herbs instead. (I used sun dried tomatoes instead of marinating fresh.) Sure, it took me longer than the box of Suddenly Salad would have. But I had the time and I like to cook. I did get some good recipe ideas from the boxes, though.

My next past dish will be Summer Pasta With Zucchini, Ricotta and Basil with grilled chicken tenders.

(I use timers because I would burn everything with out them.)
This discussion has been closed.