Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    What malnourished women can do and have their children somehow survive probably isn't the best basis for determining how much weight gain is optimal for a woman with regular access to food. I'm assuming we share the base assumption that we're going for "optimal," not just "what we can live through."
    What / how much they can eat and still deliver a viable life form with is the basis for this discussion and I am going by what multiple studies have shown.
    Moving the goalpost to what is "best" or "optimal" is changing the subject and far more arbitrary.

"Aversions" to food is a First-World luxury. What difference does it make?
    If you are starving and have to live on flies and grubs for protein you will get over your "aversions" in short order.

Many First-World women frequently like to try to come up with excuses for their excessive weight gain and habits while pregnant like it is a special biological process in for them compared to everyone else.

Special snowflakes, different from the most of the world. Sound familiar?

https://www.fitpregnancy.com/nutrition/prenatal-nutrition/women-gain-too-much-weight-while-pregnant
    https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/pregnancy-weight-gain.htm
    http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-pregnant-women-weight-gain-20151105-story.html
    http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

The average healthy, recommended amount of weight gain is around 25lbs. Less is you are already fat, more if you are underweight.

Like I said. Unpopular, but true.

Are you kidding me? Hormones don't care if you're a first world or third world pregnant woman. If just the smell of certain foods causes you to vomit, you're not going to be able to keep them down. Even if you're starving.

edited for clarity

Studies suggest that cravings and revulsions are less a factor of hormones and more a factor of nutrient balance.

In other words, If you're malnourished you're unlikely to be nauseated by anything that will provide nourishment/nutrients.

Could you provide those studies please. I'm skeptical.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I think most potential parents are shooting for a better situation than "probable viability." We *know* that prenatal nutrition has a strong impact on a child's health. Why you are completely dismissing this is beyond me.
    Because -again- we are discussing how unnecessarily fat many pregnant women become, not what is "optimal" for prenatal health. Please stop changing the subject.
    If your assertion is that an over-fat mother means the child is going to automatically be healthier in the long-term then that is a different topic.
    I will disagree with you, but that is a different subject.

As for things like my wife's eating habits, my experiences with pregnant women, etc. you are making several invalid assumptions which have little bearing on the discussion.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Oh boy.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think that on the forums as a whole, about 10-15% of those who comment have read only the thread title (not even the whole OP, let alone the whole thread).

Oh, wait . . . maybe that could turn out to be a popular opinion.

Accurate opinion, I'd say - popular or not.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think that on the forums as a whole, about 10-15% of those who comment have read only the thread title (not even the whole OP, let alone the whole thread).

Oh, wait . . . maybe that could turn out to be a popular opinion.
    I am not going to debate if it is a unpopular opinion about health or fitness.
    That would not be as enlightening.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think a bag of peanut M&Ms is great bike food. The bag stores easily, you can eat a few at a time then fold the corner so they don't spill out in your pocket, the sugar processes quickly so you can put the energy back into the pedals.

Standard snack food for me on canoe trips.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wait, are women who have had actual pregnancies, some multiples, being mansplained about pregnancy?!

That is indeed the situation.

Fortunately there are men, like my husband, who tolerate their wives putting on the amount of weight recommended by an actual OBGYN for the trade off of knowing their music-loving little tyke had enough energy to quicken at the thunderous rumble of a cathedral-quality pipe organ ("A Mighty Fortress Is Our God") and to rock out at a Kid Rock concert (in Detroit...it doesn't get any better than flames, strippers, fur coats, and some assertive head banging going on in one's belly).

Lol! ZZ Top for me and my little one!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    dapunks wrote: »
    I think a bag of peanut M&Ms is great bike food. The bag stores easily, you can eat a few at a time then fold the corner so they don't spill out in your pocket, the sugar processes quickly so you can put the energy back into the pedals.

Standard snack food for me on canoe trips.

personally I prefer gummy bears because chocolate can melt but YMMV ;)
This discussion has been closed.