Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    beanz744 wrote: »
    i hear this being preach to newbies so often,

"food is food, theres no junk food"

"calorie is calorie, it makes no difference to the body"

I want to see these people who preach that just drink beers all day long n then go lift with progressive overload in the gym

How many times is that said with extra disclaimers about eating nutrient dense foods most of the time though? (pretty sure it's most of the time)

And I've never seen ANYBODY preach that one should just drink beers all day long and then go lift with progressive overload in the gym. Not once. Ever. Talk about a ridiculous strawman argument.

i said the people who preach food is food should do that
  • beanz744
    Options

I want to see these people who preach that just drink beers all day long n then go lift with progressive overload in the gym

No one is saying this! No one.

u claim that u read every post?
  • beanz744
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

I don't think you understand what a calorie is. And I suspect that anyone who suggested it would be a good idea to drink beer all day and lift would be laughed out of the forums.

why is everbody reading this wrong. NOBODY suggested to drink beer all day long n go lift. it is my SARCASTIC suggestion/remark to people who preach "food is food"

Nobody preaches food is food. People say to not label foods good or bad, with the added disclaimer I mentioned earlier. Completely different.

i guess u read EVERY posting in every thread from day one.
  • beanz744
    Options

I've been here awhile, there are lots of very knowledgeable people here and some that don't know what they are talking about. So yea, the knowledgeable here would never say go drink beers all day then hit the gym.

i m sorry but i dont think.u read my post correctly because thats not what it said but have a good night.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

I've been here awhile, there are lots of very knowledgeable people here and some that don't know what they are talking about. So yea, the knowledgeable here would never say go drink beers all day then hit the gym.

i m sorry but i dont think.u read my post correctly because thats not what it said but have a good night.

Good night.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

How many times is that said with extra disclaimers about eating nutrient dense foods most of the time though? (pretty sure it's most of the time)

And I've never seen ANYBODY preach that one should just drink beers all day long and then go lift with progressive overload in the gym. Not once. Ever. Talk about a ridiculous strawman argument.

i said the people who preach food is food should do that

Here's the thing, and the link will no doubt be posted soon... It's possible to fuel effective progressive overload with "junk food"... someone on MFP with an open diary did it... for 90+ days with photos and detailed logs.

SO it's pretty well settled... FOOD is food.. calories are calories.

Check what NFL, NBA, Olympic athletes use to fuel their training. Sure there is some junk food, but most of it is nutrient dense.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    waybetter2 wrote: »
    "To be fair, going into a debate thread that specifically states itself to be about unpopular opinions is not the best way to gauge a community as a whole..."

Fair enough. Like I started out saying, I think I jumped into the wrong conversation. Somehow I thought it would be a discussion about unpopular opinions about health and fitness like which diets are most effective and how to get the most out of your exercise plan and not necessarily slide into the judgment and intolerance of those who aren't healthy or fit. And, seriously, there are still people who think it's impossible to be overweight and healthy. That's not an unpopular opinion, that's a judgment with no scientific basis. That's the kind of thing I'm bothered by. It's OK though. I'm a big girl and if I didn't know how to let this stuff roll, I'd have a whole different life.
    There is scientific basis though. It's NOT disputed that person carry more weight than they need to, INCREASES risk for health issues not to mention the wear and tear on joints and cartilage. As one ages, this risk increases if the weight stays the same. Whitney Thore of "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" has always claimed to that although she's obese, she's "healthy". Well, she got hospitalized after trying to hold a dancethon and now still thinks it was just a bad episode day for her.
    I've dealt with a lot of people in denial, so it's not a "judgement" for me. I base it on experience in the field and Journals of Medicine and Science.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This discussion has been closed.