Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mskimee wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    All of this dairy talk brings up an unpopular opinion that I have:
    I hate the very concept of alternative milks. Okay, I get it, if you have a medical reason and can't process dairy then use the almond/soy/cashew or whatever milk in your smoothie/coffee/cereal, etc. Or, get Lactiad. I've seen nothing that convinces me that they are healthier or better alternatives to plain ol' dairy. They may be lower calories, but that doesn't automatically make them more nutritious.
    +1. It's like when people say "I'm eating cauliflower pizza". IT AIN'T PIZZA if it's cauliflower.

I feel like this about Gluten Free!! Unless you have an actual medical reason to be gluten free, there is no reason to jump on the gluten free band wagon. Unless, you know, you LIKE paying an extra 50% for your food.
    Some doctors are even condemning these restrictive diets as they can actually be harmful.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/gluten-free-diet-harmful-people-without-coeliac-disease-health-benefits-a7713711.html

And just to add, gluten free substitutes for baked goods are often higher calorie than the original.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I have a vegan (and epic pretty terrible person, I keep her for the carcrash can't look away element) on my FB and she posted a meme about people asking where they get their protein with an image of almond milk. Oh how I laughed.

I have a particular hate for almond milk in terms of the cost to the environment, but I haven't researched that in a while, so I could admittedly be off based about it. I thought at one point I read that it took insane amounts of water to grow almonds, and the almond milk industry has increased demand so much that it was contributing to the strain in certain drought areas. It kinda leads me into a rant about water -_- . . . not ALL water, just bottled water and anything and everything produced by Nestle (to include food products and subsidiaries!), but that's another topic altogether ;)

*whew* that feels kinda good

I've never understood why bottled water seems to arouse more outrage, environmentally speaking, than soda/pop or beer, among other beverages. They all involved taking a bunch of water, putting it in bottles, and shipping it all over the place. Do the sugar/sweetener and flavorings somehow remove the taint, despite being a small percentage by volume?

Does the cows drinking the water in order to create milk somehow exonerate dairy drinks, compared to bottled water?

Even wine and pure, fresh juices simply run the water through the precipitation cycle, before making the beverage - does that make it less environmentally worrisome?

(I'm not stumping for Big Bev here: I drink mostly faucet water, and put that back into the local water table via septic system. I'm genuinely puzzled about the narrow bottled water focus of activism.)

I always figured it was because I can't just go to my faucet and refill my bottle with anything but water. Oh, how good that would be.

It's probably a very good thing I don't have Dr. Pepper on tap!

If only! Except it would have to be diet coke :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,494 Member
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    Blaming your metabolism is such a cop-out.

Nothing drives me crazier than someone telling me they can't lose ANY weight because their metabolism is too slow. It's simple, CICO. Yes there are cellular differences in how your body metabolizes things, but at the end of the day, if you burn 2000 calories and only put in 1500, you're going to lose weight. Your metabolism is not some magical thing that defies the laws of thermodynamics.

Not true. Hypothyroid causes me much grief. If I eat too little, all metabolic hell breaks lose and I gain weight. There is a balance that is required. Many times people are eating TOO FEW calories and their body is on lockdown.

A calculator can say "you burned 1500 calories today" and you can eat 1000 calories, but if in reality, you only burned 1000 calories that day because you have metabolic syndrome or hypothyroidism, you will not see results at all.

Point being that you have to take responsibility for increasing your metabolism along with keeping your caloric intake at bay.

That being said, if there are no real metabolic issues -- then I totally agree.

For metabolic issues, FIX the metabolism problem ... people say they have a slow metabolism while drinking alcohol everyday, never lifting weights to increase muscle mass, never doing HiiT cardio ... never working on their stress levels ... etc -- well that is irresponsible.

I'm going to go have my wine now and stop complaining about how I can't lose 20 pounds :wink:
    It's HARDER with hypothyroid, but it STILL comes down to CICO. You CAN'T gain MASS by eating less than you burn. You can retain water, but that's not REAL weight in terms of body composition (lean mass and fat).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Oh yes the legendary "fake" weight then it must be?

If its not lean mass or fat mass, what could it be?

Water is lean mass

Well to be precise, water weight is fat free mass which is a component that is used to help determine lean body mass. So no, it's not lean mass, it's a component of.
    Yep. Which is why bio impedance readings can become skewed. More water in the body reduces electrolyte conductivity resulting in someone seeming to have higher body fat % than they really do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I think it's true that way more people avoid gluten than really have a reason to, and I personally don't have an issue with gluten and don't avoid it, but I can't imagine that not eating gluten has any negative health effects. It's nice that more stuff is available for people who are celiac (or otherwise have issues).
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Sooooooo I just had a 500ml coffee. Did I up my lean mass by about a lb? What happens when I take a poop? Is that lean mass, or not? What about the toast I'm digesting? Is the toast lean mass and the butter fat?

Probably a weird and gross question, but I have always wondered how defecation effects CICO, lol. Like, If I consume 2000 kcal, but then some of that food is processed out as waste, does that change the CICO balance, and in what way?
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Can I say that I hope this doesn't change soon? My wife is gluten intolerant (as well as many other things) and the current GF fad is making sure she has more options and even better pricing than just a few years ago. So, it is helpful to her.

My uncle, who has Celiac's, would agree wholeheartedly.

I sit over here in the corner nibbling on dry rabbit food when out to eat with my soy allergy, and wish avoiding soy would become the new rage.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member

Australia. The food prices here are ridiculous. It's only my husband and I at home, and food is our biggest outgoing expense by far.

ETA: Just one example that gripes me is when people complain about paying over $4 for a tub of Halotop, when i pay $12 a pint here :rage: Last time i checked, a medium (USA small size) big mac meal deal thingo was around $9-10, not even take away is cheap here! 2 movie tickets will set you back around $36.

I pay $38 for two movie tickets, but that is VIP here (big, reclining chairs; service staff to bring food; plenty of leg room).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Australia. The food prices here are ridiculous. It's only my husband and I at home, and food is our biggest outgoing expense by far.

ETA: Just one example that gripes me is when people complain about paying over $4 for a tub of Halotop, when i pay $12 a pint here :rage: Last time i checked, a medium (USA small size) big mac meal deal thingo was around $9-10, not even take away is cheap here! 2 movie tickets will set you back around $36.

I pay $38 for two movie tickets, but that is VIP here (big, reclining chairs; service staff to bring food; plenty of leg room).

From memory, the tickets for "gold class", which is the same as you described, are $41 each here, that's the bare minimum price too. Totally not worth it!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Sooooooo I just had a 500ml coffee. Did I up my lean mass by about a lb? What happens when I take a poop? Is that lean mass, or not? What about the toast I'm digesting? Is the toast lean mass and the butter fat?

Probably a weird and gross question, but I have always wondered how defecation effects CICO, lol. Like, If I consume 2000 kcal, but then some of that food is processed out as waste, does that change the CICO balance, and in what way?

Unless the food is coming out unprocessed (like corn), then no. What comes out it pretty much devoid of calories. The impact is minimal.

But it is weight loss :)
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    [

And just to add, gluten free substitutes for baked goods are often higher calorie than the original.

That's crazy, cos everyone I know who tries to lose weight usually goes straight to the gluten free section!!
    mskimee wrote: »
    All of this dairy talk brings up an unpopular opinion that I have:
    I hate the very concept of alternative milks. Okay, I get it, if you have a medical reason and can't process dairy then use the almond/soy/cashew or whatever milk in your smoothie/coffee/cereal, etc. Or, get Lactiad. I've seen nothing that convinces me that they are healthier or better alternatives to plain ol' dairy. They may be lower calories, but that doesn't automatically make them more nutritious.
    +1. It's like when people say "I'm eating cauliflower pizza". IT AIN'T PIZZA if it's cauliflower.

I feel like this about Gluten Free!! Unless you have an actual medical reason to be gluten free, there is no reason to jump on the gluten free band wagon. Unless, you know, you LIKE paying an extra 50% for your food.
    Some doctors are even condemning these restrictive diets as they can actually be harmful.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/gluten-free-diet-harmful-people-without-coeliac-disease-health-benefits-a7713711.html

Can I say that I hope this doesn't change soon? My wife is gluten intolerant (as well as many other things) and the current GF fad is making sure she has more options and even better pricing than just a few years ago. So, it is helpful to her.

It's good to know someone is benefiting from the GF fads. In this case, I hope the GF fad keeps going too!!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member

I don't know if this would be detectable. Perhaps in overfeed/underfeed experiments? It's a biological system and carries a great deal of inefficiencies and variables, but this does not amount to much in terms of energy gain/loss.

I am increasingly fascinated with adaptive thermogenesis, but there is little evidence showing that this has much of an impact over time. There are now several overfeed (10,000 kcal/day) studies where the participants undergo a daily BMR/REE and DEXA scan and post the results and showing dramatic increases in BMR within 24 hrs after this overfeeding. BMR levels off to normal within 48 hrs. The DEXA results consistently show ~1% increase in bodyfat over the 48 hr time period.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    There are now several overfeed (10,000 kcal/day) studies where the participants undergo a daily BMR/REE and DEXA scan and post the results and showing dramatic increases in BMR within 24 hrs after this overfeeding. BMR levels off to normal within 48 hrs. The DEXA results consistently show ~1% increase in bodyfat over the 48 hr time period.

Science FTW!!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think it's true that way more people avoid gluten than really have a reason to, and I personally don't have an issue with gluten and don't avoid it, but I can't imagine that not eating gluten has any negative health effects. It's nice that more stuff is available for people who are celiac (or otherwise have issues).
    Agreed. I can't imagine not eating gluten would be "bad" for someone in any way. It aren't "essential" by any means.
    Now, if they replace gluten with all kinds of nonsense, perhaps...
This discussion has been closed.