Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    I also want to point out that the dairy industry propaganda implies people NEED dairy products to get necessary nutrients. Those of us who like dairy products aren't falling for the hype, we just find them tasty. <shrug>

Yep. I don't need dairy to get adequate protein, but it is a good source and I enjoy various dairy products.

Every industry tries to convince us that their products are essential or highly advantageous. That's called "marketing". I give you as example number one, the supplement industry. Not to mention the beauty industry, the beef/pork/chicken industries, the vegetable industry, etc.

But the dairy industry convinced the USDA that it deserved representation on the "food pyramid" on which most of us were raised, promoting, through government and medical sources, the belief that dairy, in significant serving numbers (3-7 servings per day), was an essential element of a nutritious diet.

That's not your average marketing scheme by your average retail product.

Almost sounds like....

...COLLUSION?!!!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I also want to point out that the dairy industry propaganda implies people NEED dairy products to get necessary nutrients. Those of us who like dairy products aren't falling for the hype, we just find them tasty. <shrug>

Yep. I don't need dairy to get adequate protein, but it is a good source and I enjoy various dairy products.

Every industry tries to convince us that their products are essential or highly advantageous. That's called "marketing". I give you as example number one, the supplement industry. Not to mention the beauty industry, the beef/pork/chicken industries, the vegetable industry, etc.

But the dairy industry convinced the USDA that it deserved representation on the "food pyramid" on which most of us were raised, promoting, through government and medical sources, the belief that dairy, in significant serving numbers (3-7 servings per day), was an essential element of a nutritious diet.

It was less a matter of "convincing" the USDA than it is that a big part of the mandate of the USDA is to promote the interests of American farmers, many of whom produce dairy. I am not at all surprised to see that the portion of the government charged with promoting the consumption of agricultural products would encourage the consumption of dairy.

(This isn't an attempt to score a point against dairy, it's neutral in my eyes. We just have to realize what the actual mission of the USDA is. We can't fault them for attempting to fulfill their mission).

+1

Good example of that is grains. Because guess what the US produces a lot of - and yet no one with any knowledge claims that grains and grain products are a necessary part of a nutritious diet. We don't need so much as a single serving, and yet there they sit as the base of the old pyramid.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Take my cheese and I will cut you.

Oh, like I'm scared of your cheese knife!

Well I'm Scottish, my cheese knife is more like a cutlass......

Man, I love eating 1-2 oz of cheddar and an apple. Yum!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

It was less a matter of "convincing" the USDA than it is that a big part of the mandate of the USDA is to promote the interests of American farmers, many of whom produce dairy. I am not at all surprised to see that the portion of the government charged with promoting the consumption of agricultural products would encourage the consumption of dairy.

(This isn't an attempt to score a point against dairy, it's neutral in my eyes. We just have to realize what the actual mission of the USDA is. We can't fault them for attempting to fulfill their mission).

+1

Good example of that is grains. Because guess what the US produces a lot of - and yet no one with any knowledge claims that grains and grain products are a necessary part of a nutritious diet. We don't need so much as a single serving, and yet there they sit as the base of the old pyramid.

I mean, I find the entire food pyramid suspect, and its history is kind of sordid. The dairy industry lobbied HARD for the position that they have, and I'm not aware of any other industry doing the same (maybe the egg people did? I admit that my memory of this is somewhat fuzzy. I ought to research this more, probably).
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Blaming your metabolism is such a cop-out.

Nothing drives me crazier than someone telling me they can't lose ANY weight because their metabolism is too slow. It's simple, CICO. Yes there are cellular differences in how your body metabolizes things, but at the end of the day, if you burn 2000 calories and only put in 1500, you're going to lose weight. Your metabolism is not some magical thing that defies the laws of thermodynamics.

Not true. Hypothyroid causes me much grief. If I eat too little, all metabolic hell breaks lose and I gain weight. There is a balance that is required. Many times people are eating TOO FEW calories and their body is on lockdown.

A calculator can say "you burned 1500 calories today" and you can eat 1000 calories, but if in reality, you only burned 1000 calories that day because you have metabolic syndrome or hypothyroidism, you will not see results at all.

Point being that you have to take responsibility for increasing your metabolism along with keeping your caloric intake at bay.

That being said, if there are no real metabolic issues -- then I totally agree.

For metabolic issues, FIX the metabolism problem ... people say they have a slow metabolism while drinking alcohol everyday, never lifting weights to increase muscle mass, never doing HiiT cardio ... never working on their stress levels ... etc -- well that is irresponsible.

I'm going to go have my wine now and stop complaining about how I can't lose 20 pounds :wink:
    It's HARDER with hypothyroid, but it STILL comes down to CICO. You CAN'T gain MASS by eating less than you burn. You can retain water, but that's not REAL weight in terms of body composition (lean mass and fat).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Oh yes the legendary "fake" weight then it must be?

If its not lean mass or fat mass, what could it be?

Water is lean mass
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    All of this dairy talk brings up an unpopular opinion that I have:
    I hate the very concept of alternative milks. Okay, I get it, if you have a medical reason and can't process dairy then use the almond/soy/cashew or whatever milk in your smoothie/coffee/cereal, etc. Or, get Lactiad. I've seen nothing that convinces me that they are healthier or better alternatives to plain ol' dairy. They may be lower calories, but that doesn't automatically make them more nutritious.

I agree. I have used chocolate almond in my smoothies but mostly because it's delicious and lower calorie than the dairy version. If i have a large milky coffee when out I will generally go for soy because the combination of lots of milk and coffee isn't pleasant for me or anyone with the misfortune to be in my vicinity.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I hate the very concept of alternative milks. Okay, I get it, if you have a medical reason and can't process dairy then use the almond/soy/cashew or whatever milk in your smoothie/coffee/cereal, etc. Or, get Lactiad. I've seen nothing that convinces me that they are healthier or better alternatives to plain ol' dairy. They may be lower calories, but that doesn't automatically make them more nutritious.

In agreement. It's just different...not better. That's nothing more than marketing of an alternative product and not to be confused with facts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It kind of is -- although I do think the history of the food pyramid is more complicated.

Meat producers did the same, and grain producers certainly did far better. Yet we can easily go without meat (I'd rather not, but we don't need it for nutrition), and same with grains.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I'm cool with alternative milks because they have a historical pedigree. (I am not saying this is a good reason, particularly, I hope I'd be cool with them regardless, but I tend to be affected stupidly by such things.) I like researching old recipes and cuisines, and nut milks played a role in medieval cooking, for example, for various reasons, including the restrictions on dairy during fasting days.

I don't think they are healthier, but they taste different and I actually really like homemade nut milks and coconut milk (which at least until recently no one thought was healthier). Ironically, of course, a homemade cashew milk (which usually includes the nuts and is not just nut flavored) will be higher cal than dairy, and lower protein, but higher fat (like nuts!). (I mostly use it, though, because I usually have cashews around and rarely have milk around, because I don't drink it often enough to buy it, it would go bad.)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

+1

I mean, I find the entire food pyramid suspect, and its history is kind of sordid. The dairy industry lobbied HARD for the position that they have, and I'm not aware of any other industry doing the same (maybe the egg people did? I admit that my memory of this is somewhat fuzzy. I ought to research this more, probably).

It's not so much sordid as it's seeing inside the sausage-making (never that pretty) and churning out a one-size-fits-all prescription, mixed in with the lobbying of the wheat, dairy and meat factions that are part of the USDA organization. A lot of it involves our national economic interests, and there are myriad good and bad aspects of that.

On my hard core gardening days, the food pyramid is perfect for me, because I am going to burn off all that bread* (this weekend I worked for hours on 3 snickerdoodles, a bell pepper, and a glass of milk); but I am racking up the kinds of calorie expenditure that was much more common for people back in the 1950s and 1960s--it's a recipe for disaster for the horrifically sedentary American (or Brit) of today. Also, genetically I am a carb and dairy processing machine, but people with other genetic backgrounds are going to struggle more with fitting in those 2-3 servings of dairy.

Interestingly, in the 1940s, butter was considered to be its own crucial food group--one of seven that you should have every day. Now THAT is some propaganda I can get behind!!

*Bread is also very economical--another crucial concern when your daily job involved things like burning 4,000 calories baling hay and such.
This discussion has been closed.