Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Sophannah2017
    Sophannah2017 Posts: 29 Member

I don't think you're allowed to say that on MFP. You're allowed to eat cocaine laced with gasoline as long as you measure it to the gram on a food scale and fit the calories into your day.[/quote]

Brilliant!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    I admit to being one of the judgy people. Sorry. :( But not in a mean way, I hope, and I never insult people (to their face *or* behind their backs--turn the other cheek and all that). Having "been there," I know weight gain/obesity can have a number of health and psychological causes--not just effects. I get judgmental when people express a desire to be "thinner"/"healthier"/better in general, but never actually make any changes. At all. I lived with people like this for years.

If someone's obese and okay with it, I don't care. If someone's obese and constantly whines about it, I judge. It's weird, I know. :)

I believe (even though it's unpopular...) that carbs are like God. It's amazing I'm not diabetic, especially given my family history...
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Heres one: If you don't break a sweat during your workout you aren't working out.

I find it amazing that so many out-of-shape people in my gym never seem to experience any discomfort and can walk out as clean and as dry as they walked in.

... or maybe it's just me. I end up looking like a miserable wet dog even on days where it's all weights and no cardio. lol

... or maybe they are in shape and I'm out of shape. hmmmmm

I row regularly in a double (2-person rowing shell), with two different people. Me, I sweat like a lawn sprinkler. I'm that wet dog. M, my most frequent double partner, also sweats copiously. J, the other partner, might sweat a little if it's 90+ degrees F, otherwise, not much. Boat speed similar. Fitness pretty similar. I think all of us are getting a similarly good workout. I worry that J could have health issues if it's really hot outside, though. So far, hasn't happened.

I've read about it - many causes. Some genetic and some health related. A lot of people are just not hydrated enough which will cause less sweating. I'm mostly talking about the people I see reading books on the treadmill walking 1mph or people doing 1 set per machine at 30% 1RM thinking they are workin' it. ;)
  • waybetter2
    waybetter2 Posts: 4 Member

"To be fair, going into a debate thread that specifically states itself to be about unpopular opinions is not the best way to gauge a community as a whole..."

Fair enough. Like I started out saying, I think I jumped into the wrong conversation. Somehow I thought it would be a discussion about unpopular opinions about health and fitness like which diets are most effective and how to get the most out of your exercise plan and not necessarily slide into the judgment and intolerance of those who aren't healthy or fit. And, seriously, there are still people who think it's impossible to be overweight and healthy. That's not an unpopular opinion, that's a judgment with no scientific basis. That's the kind of thing I'm bothered by. It's OK though. I'm a big girl and if I didn't know how to let this stuff roll, I'd have a whole different life.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    This isn't so much an unpopular Health/Fitness opinion, but a pet peeve about the MFP forums. It bugs me when people don't even look at the current threads to see if there's a conversation about their topic of interest before starting a new one. Do we really need THREE active keto threads on the first page of the Motivation forum?!

I've come to the conclusion that people who don't have a brain-to-mouth filter IRL do the same thing on forums. If it pops into their brains, it's the start of a thread. It may have the exact title as the most recent thread on the page, but it's their thought, dammit, and their going to run with it. Still annoying.

Devil's advocate, you will often find that posters with an interest in the topic will go through and respond to every thread on the topic that's been posted on the subject that day, in a small window of time, thus bumping them all to the front page and making them look far more common than they are. In particular the keto threads, usually inviting the OP to join the group.

That's true too - you'll see several threads on the same topic with the same person as the last poster, along with a couple of new ones with different posters as OP.

And I'n cringing now because I noticed that where you quoted me I used "their" for "they're". Sigh.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    This isn't so much an unpopular Health/Fitness opinion, but a pet peeve about the MFP forums. It bugs me when people don't even look at the current threads to see if there's a conversation about their topic of interest before starting a new one. Do we really need THREE active keto threads on the first page of the Motivation forum?!

I've come to the conclusion that people who don't have a brain-to-mouth filter IRL do the same thing on forums. If it pops into their brains, it's the start of a thread. It may have the exact title as the most recent thread on the page, but it's their thought, dammit, and their going to run with it. Still annoying.

Devil's advocate, you will often find that posters with an interest in the topic will go through and respond to every thread on the topic that's been posted on the subject that day, in a small window of time, thus bumping them all to the front page and making them look far more common than they are. In particular the keto threads, usually inviting the OP to join the group.

That's true too - you'll see several threads on the same topic with the same person as the last poster, along with a couple of new ones with different posters as OP.

And I'n cringing now because I noticed that where you quoted me I used "their" for "they're". Sigh.

;) fixed
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

;) fixed

Bless you <3
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Hmmm...I have no problem with taking an EC stack, I do think there are appropriate times for aggressive weight loss even if you aren't very overweight and I don't really moderate food. I keep a very sparse food environment and only indulge outside of the house.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Heres one: If you don't break a sweat during your workout you aren't working out.

I find it amazing that so many out-of-shape people in my gym never seem to experience any discomfort and can walk out as clean and as dry as they walked in.

... or maybe it's just me. I end up looking like a miserable wet dog even on days where it's all weights and no cardio. lol

... or maybe they are in shape and I'm out of shape. hmmmmm

I row regularly in a double (2-person rowing shell), with two different people. Me, I sweat like a lawn sprinkler. I'm that wet dog. M, my most frequent double partner, also sweats copiously. J, the other partner, might sweat a little if it's 90+ degrees F, otherwise, not much. Boat speed similar. Fitness pretty similar. I think all of us are getting a similarly good workout. I worry that J could have health issues if it's really hot outside, though. So far, hasn't happened.

I've read about it - many causes. Some genetic and some health related. A lot of people are just not hydrated enough which will cause less sweating. I'm mostly talking about the people I see reading books on the treadmill walking 1mph or people doing 1 set per machine at 30% 1RM thinking they are workin' it. ;)

I am not a sweater either. I will do 40 minutes on the arc trainer maintaining a HR of 150+ with a few HIIT minutes thrown in and will just have a sheen in the middle of my back. My resting HR is in the high 50s. I might get a tiny trickle of sweat here or there with hours of intense garden labor under a hot sun, unless there is a breeze. I drink obnoxious amounts of liquids all day long. So yes, I would say that there is likely a genetic component and that different bodies respond in different ways.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2017
    i hear this being preach to newbies so often,

"food is food, theres no junk food"

"calorie is calorie, it makes no difference to the body"

I want to see these people who preach that just drink beers all day long n then go lift with progressive overload in the gym n video tape it.
This discussion has been closed.