Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Blaming your metabolism is such a cop-out.

Nothing drives me crazier than someone telling me they can't lose ANY weight because their metabolism is too slow. It's simple, CICO. Yes there are cellular differences in how your body metabolizes things, but at the end of the day, if you burn 2000 calories and only put in 1500, you're going to lose weight. Your metabolism is not some magical thing that defies the laws of thermodynamics.

Not true. Hypothyroid causes me much grief. If I eat too little, all metabolic hell breaks lose and I gain weight. There is a balance that is required. Many times people are eating TOO FEW calories and their body is on lockdown.

A calculator can say "you burned 1500 calories today" and you can eat 1000 calories, but if in reality, you only burned 1000 calories that day because you have metabolic syndrome or hypothyroidism, you will not see results at all.

Point being that you have to take responsibility for increasing your metabolism along with keeping your caloric intake at bay.

That being said, if there are no real metabolic issues -- then I totally agree.

For metabolic issues, FIX the metabolism problem ... people say they have a slow metabolism while drinking alcohol everyday, never lifting weights to increase muscle mass, never doing HiiT cardio ... never working on their stress levels ... etc -- well that is irresponsible.

I'm going to go have my wine now and stop complaining about how I can't lose 20 pounds :wink:
    It's HARDER with hypothyroid, but it STILL comes down to CICO. You CAN'T gain MASS by eating less than you burn. You can retain water, but that's not REAL weight in terms of body composition (lean mass and fat).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Oh yes the legendary "fake" weight then it must be?

If its not lean mass or fat mass, what could it be?

Water is lean mass
    Lol, then by that logic, you must "burn" it off and lose it every time you sweat, pee, or breathe. Oh, no's gotta drink some water cause my mass went down! Dude, stick to broscience it sounds more logical. :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    All of this dairy talk brings up an unpopular opinion that I have:
    I hate the very concept of alternative milks. Okay, I get it, if you have a medical reason and can't process dairy then use the almond/soy/cashew or whatever milk in your smoothie/coffee/cereal, etc. Or, get Lactiad. I've seen nothing that convinces me that they are healthier or better alternatives to plain ol' dairy. They may be lower calories, but that doesn't automatically make them more nutritious.
    +1. It's like when people say "I'm eating cauliflower pizza". IT AIN'T PIZZA if it's cauliflower.

I feel like this about Gluten Free!! Unless you have an actual medical reason to be gluten free, there is no reason to jump on the gluten free band wagon. Unless, you know, you LIKE paying an extra 50% for your food.
    Some doctors are even condemning these restrictive diets as they can actually be harmful.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/gluten-free-diet-harmful-people-without-coeliac-disease-health-benefits-a7713711.html
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member

Nothing drives me crazier than someone telling me they can't lose ANY weight because their metabolism is too slow. It's simple, CICO. Yes there are cellular differences in how your body metabolizes things, but at the end of the day, if you burn 2000 calories and only put in 1500, you're going to lose weight. Your metabolism is not some magical thing that defies the laws of thermodynamics.

Not true. Hypothyroid causes me much grief. If I eat too little, all metabolic hell breaks lose and I gain weight. There is a balance that is required. Many times people are eating TOO FEW calories and their body is on lockdown.

A calculator can say "you burned 1500 calories today" and you can eat 1000 calories, but if in reality, you only burned 1000 calories that day because you have metabolic syndrome or hypothyroidism, you will not see results at all.

Point being that you have to take responsibility for increasing your metabolism along with keeping your caloric intake at bay.

For metabolic issues, FIX the metabolism problem ... people say they have a slow metabolism while drinking alcohol everyday, never lifting weights to increase muscle mass, never doing HiiT cardio ... never working on their stress levels ... etc -- well that is irresponsible.

I'm going to go have my wine now and stop complaining about how I can't lose 20 pounds :wink:
    It's HARDER with hypothyroid, but it STILL comes down to CICO. You CAN'T gain MASS by eating less than you burn. You can retain water, but that's not REAL weight in terms of body composition (lean mass and fat).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Water is lean mass
    Lol, then by that logic, you must "burn" it off and lose it every time you sweat, pee, or breathe. Oh, no's gotta drink some water cause my mass went down! Dude, stick to broscience it sounds more logical. :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What do you mean "by that logic", its fact.
  • Rammer123
    When you get your body fat calculated, your lean mass includes water. Yes you could drink 48 ounces of water before a test and your lean mass would go up 3lbs. This is fact
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    When you get your body fat calculated, your lean mass includes water. Yes you could drink 48 ounces of water before a test and your lean mass would go up 3lbs. This is fact

That's water in your belly, We're not talking about water in your belly... we're talking about water in your body.

There's water in your fat, there's water in your bones, there's water in your muscles, there's water in your blood.

• Rammer123
    Right because water in your belly is not in your body.

And what does any of that have to do with water being considered lean mass?

Lean mass= Weight-Fat mass
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

And the FAT MASS is 10-30% water... :) HTH!! HAND!!
  • Rammer123

And the FAT MASS is 10-30% water... :) HTH!! HAND!!

It's still lean mass no matter where it's being held.
  • Rammer123
    "By that logic" your muscle mass increases when you are glycogen depleted and then carb up.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited June 2017

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Water is lean mass

Well to be precise, water weight is fat free mass which is a component that is used to help determine lean body mass. So no, it's not lean mass, it's a component of.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    sarjenki wrote: »
    I know you have to continually add weight to keep challenging your muscles but I could care less about gaining strength, I want to look better.
    When I run, I could care less about beating my personal best, I'm interested in the calorie burn, because I want to look better. If I finish 2 minutes slower than I did 2 months ago but look fitter, then I'm happy.
    I know all those improvements help with the goal of looking better, but they are not my ultimate goal.
    People who say being healthy should be the goal instead of weight loss and looking better annoy me. Not that it bothers me for them to have that goal, whatever floats their boat, but to tell other people they are wrong for wanting to look better gets in by nerves.
    I feel like there's noting wrong with exercising and dieting with a better physique being your only priority.

Some of us are greedy and like both ;)

I was going to say the same thing...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I have a vegan (and epic pretty terrible person, I keep her for the carcrash can't look away element) on my FB and she posted a meme about people asking where they get their protein with an image of almond milk. Oh how I laughed.

I have a particular hate for almond milk in terms of the cost to the environment, but I haven't researched that in a while, so I could admittedly be off based about it. I thought at one point I read that it took insane amounts of water to grow almonds, and the almond milk industry has increased demand so much that it was contributing to the strain in certain drought areas. It kinda leads me into a rant about water -_- . . . not ALL water, just bottled water and anything and everything produced by Nestle (to include food products and subsidiaries!), but that's another topic altogether ;)

*whew* that feels kinda good

I've never understood why bottled water seems to arouse more outrage, environmentally speaking, than soda/pop or beer, among other beverages. They all involved taking a bunch of water, putting it in bottles, and shipping it all over the place. Do the sugar/sweetener and flavorings somehow remove the taint, despite being a small percentage by volume?

Does the cows drinking the water in order to create milk somehow exonerate dairy drinks, compared to bottled water?

Even wine and pure, fresh juices simply run the water through the precipitation cycle, before making the beverage - does that make it less environmentally worrisome?

(I'm not stumping for Big Bev here: I drink mostly faucet water, and put that back into the local water table via septic system. I'm genuinely puzzled about the narrow bottled water focus of activism.)

I can't speak for others, but my personal objections are with water companies (namely Nestle) that monetize a natural resource found in disadvantaged areas and then turn around and charge local populations hundreds of times more for the water than what the company paid for it. Keep in mind, in many cases this is a resource that they had access to for free prior to the company securing the water rights from an (often corrupt) government.

Adding pennies' worth of HFCS, a little flavoring, and carbonation to that very same water, before doing the exact same thing, changes this how, exactly?

I'm not questioning why you're anti-Nestle; I get that. It's a big issue here in Michigan. What I don't understand is why you're not equally outraged by the utterly equivalent behavior of Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, Anheuser-Busch InBev, and the like.

Frankly, agriculture as an overall industry extracts more water from low-wealth, low-power regions, at trivial cost to the industry, and ships it to higher-wealth, higher-power regions, than do beverage manufacturers. In some cases, that aspect of agricultural trade is exacerbating negative effects of climate change in very disadvantaged parts of the world. It's a big and perplexing problem.

I've asked people this question IRL - why the outrage over bottled water, but not over other beverages that are 95%+ water. So far, I've gotten no clear answer, but I've walked away afterward thinking that the person simply saw bottled water as water, but didn't see soda/pop or beer as water, even though water is the main ingredient.
    That's not to say that I never use plastic bottles or drink bottled water. I refuse to purchase Nestle products, and whenever possible I try to choose companies with ethical business practices. I'm a sucker for seltzer, though, and I drink probably 2 Polar waters a day. I just make sure and recycle the bottles after my dogs finish playing with them ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I have a vegan (and epic pretty terrible person, I keep her for the carcrash can't look away element) on my FB and she posted a meme about people asking where they get their protein with an image of almond milk. Oh how I laughed.

That's one of the dumbest things I've heard this week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    The issue with bottled water is that public utilities already pipe potable water right into most people's homes for a fraction of the cost, without the additional resources involved in packaging and shipping it around. Beer and soda aren't piped into every home like that.

Agreed...I pay for my water at home that comes from my tap...I am not paying x2 unless it is for sheer need at the cottage or camping but even then I am put off by bottled water.
This discussion has been closed.