Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    LucasLean wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Sooooooo I just had a 500ml coffee. Did I up my lean mass by about a lb? What happens when I take a poop? Is that lean mass, or not? What about the toast I'm digesting? Is the toast lean mass and the butter fat?

Probably a weird and gross question, but I have always wondered how defecation effects CICO, lol. Like, If I consume 2000 kcal, but then some of that food is processed out as waste, does that change the CICO balance, and in what way?

Unless the food is coming out unprocessed (like corn), then no. What comes out it pretty much devoid of calories. The impact is minimal.

But it is weight loss :)

Is it devoid of calories? Why do some animals eat it?

You can apparently eat deer poop in survival situations. Natures true granola bar. ;)

LOL not sure about how many calories it has but it does have a good chunk of nutrients that your body did not absorb at the time. There is a limit to how much certain vitamins/minerals/etc your body can take in and store a day so the extra is eliminated in waste which explains why it is beneficial to eat in certain survival situations. I would be SOOOOOO interested in a study performed finding out how many calories are in an average persons poop. Yes I'm weird, but you got me interested. :P

tumblr_n3iyrpLzRj1toamj8o1_400.gif

There was. They were looking at how gut bacteria affect absorption of calories. Don't feel like looking for it but it was between 1% and 10% of calories, depending on the mix of bacteria.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    LucasLean wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Sooooooo I just had a 500ml coffee. Did I up my lean mass by about a lb? What happens when I take a poop? Is that lean mass, or not? What about the toast I'm digesting? Is the toast lean mass and the butter fat?

Probably a weird and gross question, but I have always wondered how defecation effects CICO, lol. Like, If I consume 2000 kcal, but then some of that food is processed out as waste, does that change the CICO balance, and in what way?

Unless the food is coming out unprocessed (like corn), then no. What comes out it pretty much devoid of calories. The impact is minimal.

But it is weight loss :)

Is it devoid of calories? Why do some animals eat it?

You can apparently eat deer poop in survival situations. Natures true granola bar. ;)

LOL not sure about how many calories it has but it does have a good chunk of nutrients that your body did not absorb at the time. There is a limit to how much certain vitamins/minerals/etc your body can take in and store a day so the extra is eliminated in waste which explains why it is beneficial to eat in certain survival situations. I would be SOOOOOO interested in a study performed finding out how many calories are in an average persons poop. Yes I'm weird, but you got me interested. :P

tumblr_n3iyrpLzRj1toamj8o1_400.gif

There was. They were looking at how gut bacteria affect absorption of calories. Don't feel like looking for it but it was between 1% and 10% of calories, depending on the mix of bacteria.

Gut bacteria is constantly in flux due to syntrophy - the absorption rate fluctuates within days. There's a great deal of comparative data gained from fistulated swine and cows.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I imagine there wouldn't be a tremendous amount of variability by GI system - e.g. all ruminant animal scat would be similar by weight/volume. Should all fall inside the established 20% margin of error.

I know we have a few scientists and at least one mortician. Any scatologists?

I think another word for veterinarian is probably scatologist, lol
  • foodhasfeelingstoo
    foodhasfeelingstoo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think pregnant women should not eat everything they crave and gain so much weight.

It's a dangerous believe that might affect eating habits of the baby and might even contribute to obesity. I think being pregnant in later stages you can eat 300kcal more than usual and shouldn't gain more than 20lbs including the baby in you. I'd ask a doctor and do some research for specific facts though.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    These past 2 Sundays I ate a high number of carbs. Bread. Lots of bread. These past 2 Mondays I recorded a multi-lb weight loss. That's not just an opinion, that's a fact. It's a fact that I wasn't expecting to observe, ever. But, wow.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

It blows my mind that someone (and I know it happens) doesn't know they're pregnant until the baby comes.

Was your wife overweight? I can't even.
    No she was not and never was overweight.
    She still had her period the whole time.

She is it better shape the vast majority of women, in my experience.

This discussion has been closed.