Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Sooooooo I just had a 500ml coffee. Did I up my lean mass by about a lb? What happens when I take a poop? Is that lean mass, or not? What about the toast I'm digesting? Is the toast lean mass and the butter fat?

Probably a weird and gross question, but I have always wondered how defecation effects CICO, lol. Like, If I consume 2000 kcal, but then some of that food is processed out as waste, does that change the CICO balance, and in what way?

Unless the food is coming out unprocessed (like corn), then no. What comes out it pretty much devoid of calories. The impact is minimal.

But it is weight loss :)

Is it devoid of calories? Why do some animals eat it?

You know, I dared to google this question.

And now, the article I read cannot be unread.

Kind of like picking up a forensic investigation journal my husband leaves lying around the lab.

At least in this Penn State Extension article there were no pictures.

[crawls under desk and begins to rock.]

Ha! I also googled it. Read a very interesting article.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/the-hidden-truths-about-calories/
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Sooooooo I just had a 500ml coffee. Did I up my lean mass by about a lb? What happens when I take a poop? Is that lean mass, or not? What about the toast I'm digesting? Is the toast lean mass and the butter fat?

Probably a weird and gross question, but I have always wondered how defecation effects CICO, lol. Like, If I consume 2000 kcal, but then some of that food is processed out as waste, does that change the CICO balance, and in what way?

Unless the food is coming out unprocessed (like corn), then no. What comes out it pretty much devoid of calories. The impact is minimal.

Kind of like picking up a forensic investigation journal my husband leaves lying around the lab.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/the-hidden-truths-about-calories/

This is much better! I just got a crash course in the assorted horrible things that can go wrong with the bovine digestive system and how you can discern the problems in the, ahem, throughput. Normally I am pretty good with this stuff but not today. Kind of like the day that I bragged to a table of doctors that I am not too grossed out by medical stuff. Wrong thing to say at lunch. :D
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I imagine there wouldn't be a tremendous amount of variability by GI system - e.g. all ruminant animal scat would be similar by weight/volume. Should all fall inside the established 20% margin of error.

I know we have a few scientists and at least one mortician. Any scatologists?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    What.... what happened to this thread???!!!!! :o

It got Freudian.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options

This is fascinating! A couple of points that stuck out to me:

1) As a consequence, the net number of calories the whole food eaters received was ten percent less than the number received by the processed food eaters.

- So, does this mean that (theoretically), if one were to consume all raw foods, that the hypothetical 2000 kcal diet is actually only worth 1800 calories. This adds up to nearly 20lbs/yr in terms of weight loss, if one benefitted from the deficit and was actually consuming fewer calories than they thought. This could artificially drive up any TDEE estimates, making someone think that they were burning more calories than they are, if they do the math based on their personal CICO. While it's not a bad thing in concept, I could see it becoming an issue in survival situations (which is why we went down this rabbit hole, yes?) In practical life, no one (I guess a few outliers are possible) is eating an entirely raw and unprocessed diet, so the benefit of choosing to eat your veggies raw instead of cooked is much more minimal, but could have long term impacts of 5 or 10 pounds over time, I suppose. I'm neither scientist nor nutritionist, so am I thinking of this logically?

2) Each of us gets a different number of calories out of identical foods because of who we are and who our ancestors were.

- All those people who claim that they're fat because of "genetics" might not be entirely wrong, but just for different reasons, lol. Of course it all comes down to CICO, but those with a genetically predisposed extra few feet of intestine will net more calories than someone with a shorter intestine, all other things being equal. This could contribute to a problem of altered nutrition if someone of one ancestry now lives and eats like the locals where they evolved a *bit* differently. If we go further and talk about the enzymes that we all evolved differently, there really may be certain foods that are more likely to contribute to weight gain or loss for a particular person, through no fault of their own. In this way, it highlights why satiety is such an individual thing! Perhaps complex carbs like whole grains keep me full because my ancestors didn't evolve the most efficient way to break them down (although - does the enzyme thing come more in to play in the stomach or in the intestines?)? If one comes from a heavily meat based ancestry, then perhaps they are TOO efficient at breaking down and using energy from protein, and then when they eat a lot of it, they don't get the #gains they're looking for.

I get that all of this would be in small measure as part of an overall picture, but it's very interesting to consider!

Yes, probably, but - as you say at the end, the effect is relatively small.

Also, I've read that whole foods vs processed food study (sorry, my tablet doesn't have the bookmark). It's very small, and - while not truly terrible - has serious limitations acknowledged by the researchers. I think they were trying to do something relatively quick and inexpensive to get an idea whether there might be an effect at all.

I'll admit it made me happy that, by taste, I prefer what are commonly called "whole foods". ;)
This discussion has been closed.