Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I don't believe humans were necessarily meant to eat grain nor dairy... Maybe some have adapted but I know many people and myself feel terrible after eating any gluten or dairy.

And I know many people (including myself) who feel great after eating these things.

Point?
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I don't believe humans were necessarily meant to eat grain nor dairy... Maybe some have adapted but I know many people and myself feel terrible after eating any gluten or dairy.

And I know many people (including myself) who feel great after eating these things.

Point?

I think "I believe" would be the appropriate start of an opinion. I don't think there was a point which is valid for an opinion.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    Hmm... my unpopular opinions about health and fitness...

- That I think it's NONSENSE that the best way to improve your body involves only restricting your calories, often to some crazy low level generated by a MFP computer algorithm that has never met you.

It is nonsensical to omit the CO side of the equation in this process.

Many of those who promote this notion are thinking in terms of broad populations. Yes, in the abstract it is logical to simply reduce calories to manage an ideal weight. In practice however you cannot disregard a significant number within the population that remains active despite overall trends towards inaction.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

-That I think it's NONSENSE that the best way to improve your body involves only restricting your calories, often to some crazy low level generated by a MFP computer algorithm that has never met you.

- That I believe that weight is not the be all and end all. I believe that many people set unrealistic goal weights, and can develop a terrible obsession with getting as light as possible. I teetered on the edge of this myself. I looked scrawny and unattractive, and positively ill when I was close to my goal weight. Thankfully I stopped chasing the scales and look way better now, approximately 12kg heavier, strong and lean. My clothes are mostly the same size they were at my skinniest. Lifting FTW.

- That I think that although some parts of these forums are fab, they are out of control on the "add a letter", "the person above you..." and those kinds of threads. I may be a luddite but I don't get it. And it makes it hard to find the good threads!

Not sure who believes this...if you had said best way to lose weight...maybe...but improving your body, losing fat and losing weight are 3 different things and involve 3 different paths.

For example

the best way to lose weight is to be in a calorie deficit.
    the best way to lose fat is to be in a calorie deficit, do resistance training and get in enough protein.
    the best way to improve your body is a personal thing on what you feel but for some it could be cardio, others heavy lifting etc...might not have anything to do with calorie deficit.

As for the algorithm it is based on what they (they being the user) puts in the system for goals etc.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Humans are not meant to travel in space and we still do...

And that is that same how...???

If we were not meant to do it than we should not, right?

I never said that people are wrong for eating it. I really don't care who eats what but this is an opinion board and I was adding mine... that humans aren't made for digesting gluten and dairy. If you do eat it that's your choice and that's fine. I eat it sometimes as well. But gluten is an inflammatory food so if you are sick of having aches and pains that don't seem to have an explanation, you might try cutting out gluten. And if you have issues with acne, bloating, and other hormonal issues, you might try cutting out dairy.
    I am not a scientist, just a girl with an opinion... that's what this page is for right? OPINIONS? didn't realize that mine was so personally offensive -_-

The idea that we were made, or created, to do or not do anything in particular and that we should avoid doing that which we were not made to do is inherently a religious argument.

If you scroll up you'll see I already addressed this. Not religious. Just science. Our digestive systems just don't process the food well. And I feel like you haven't read anything I said considering that in my last post I said that there is no wrong in people eating it. I don't have a moral issue with gluten and Dairy lol I was just explaining how it can negatively affect the body and that the simple solution is cutting it out of your diet.

My digestive system is just fine with dairy...I don't think I'm some kind of exception here...I know one person in real life who is lactose intolerant, and I know a lot of people. I know a lot more people who are allergic to nuts (including my own kid) than I do people who are dairy intolerant.

We've been consuming dairy and grains for tens of thousands of years...

Did you ever wonder who was the first guy to look at a cow and think: " Boy, I sure am thirsty ! "

I imagine it went something like: Two guys sitting in a field. One says... "I dare you to suck on that".

I imagine that some poor guy lost a bet.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

- That I think it's NONSENSE that the best way to improve your body involves only restricting your calories, often to some crazy low level generated by a MFP computer algorithm that has never met you.

- That I believe that weight is not the be all and end all. I believe that many people set unrealistic goal weights, and can develop a terrible obsession with getting as light as possible. I teetered on the edge of this myself. I looked scrawny and unattractive, and positively ill when I was close to my goal weight. Thankfully I stopped chasing the scales and look way better now, approximately 12kg heavier, strong and lean. My clothes are mostly the same size they were at my skinniest. Lifting FTW.

- That I think that although some parts of these forums are fab, they are out of control on the "add a letter", "the person above you..." and those kinds of threads. I may be a luddite but I don't get it. And it makes it hard to find the good threads!

Go to the web version of the website, click the cog and click Unfollow on chit chat and fun and games sub forums

oykerccni7rx.png
  • Jen2133
    Jen2133 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It really gets me going when people think it is somehow "easier" for me, than it is for them, to be strong, healthy, fit and enjoy a balanced lifestyle.

I can assure you that I work very hard and very thoughtfully to maintain a certain weight and physique, and have done so for a lifetime. True, I do enjoy working out, but this is just a matter of finding activities that are a good fit and having a positive outlook.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Regarding women and pregnancy weight gain, I think it's fair to say this. There are a lot of women out there who gain a lot more than what they really need to. Regardless of whatever amount of weight that is, there are a lot of women who gain excessively.

So do non pregnant men. What's your point?

Exactly what I was wondering in response to that statement.

Perhaps the point being made was not that non pregnant people also gain too much, but that there are women who use the pregnancy as an excuse to gain too much.

People use lots of things as an excuse for weight gain, so again I'm not sure what JasonForecaster's point was in singling out -- indeed, concern trolling, or so it seemed to me -- about pregnant women doing this. I found it rather humorous (in a way) that he did so. After all, no one asserted that pregnant women never gain too much, there's no particular reason to see pregnant women gaining weight with a pregnancy as the driving force of the obesity problem, which is much broader, and it seems odd that Jason, who is a normal or underweight single guy, last I recall, would be particularly concerned about how all these pregnant women are packing on the pounds. Well, not odd, exactly, but something.
    My unpopular opinion is that it's no one else's fault, its not some outside force, its our own choices that cause our weight gain. Yes there are medical conditions and medications, and environmental factors that influence it, but at the end of the day, you choose to make changes to account for those or you don't. You choose what you eat, and/or how much of if you eat. You choose to educate yourself about nutrition or you don't. I was obese because I ate too much food, for what my body needed. It really was that simple of an answer.

I don't see how this is an unpopular opinion. (I also basically agree with it, although I'd probably say responsibility, not fault.)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Regarding women and pregnancy weight gain, I think it's fair to say this. There are a lot of women out there who gain a lot more than what they really need to. Regardless of whatever amount of weight that is, there are a lot of women who gain excessively.

Perhaps the point being made was not that non pregnant people also gain too much, but that there are women who use the pregnancy as an excuse to gain too much.

People use lots of things as an excuse for weight gain, so again I'm not sure what JasonForecaster's point was in singling out -- indeed, concern trolling, or so it seemed to me -- about pregnant women doing this. I found it rather humorous (in a way) that he did so. After all, no one asserted that pregnant women never gain too much, there's no particular reason to see pregnant women gaining weight with a pregnancy as the driving force of the obesity problem, which is much broader, and it seems odd that Jason, who is a normal or underweight single guy, last I recall, would be particularly concerned about how all this pregnant women are packing on the pounds. Well, not odd, exactly, but something.
    My unpopular opinion is that it's no one else's fault, its not some outside force, its our own choices that cause our weight gain. Yes there are medical conditions and medications, and environmental factors that influence it, but at the end of the day, you choose to make changes to account for those or you don't. You choose what you eat, and/or how much of if you eat. You choose to educate yourself about nutrition or you don't. I was obese because I ate too much food, for what my body needed. It really was that simple of an answer.

I don't see how this is an unpopular opinion. (I also basically agree with it, although I'd probably say responsibility, not fault.)

Exactly this!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Jen2133 wrote: »
    It really gets me going when people think it is somehow "easier" for me, than it is for them, to be strong, healthy, fit and enjoy a balanced lifestyle.

Yeah, it really irritates me when people decide that it's easier for people who are currently in shape or losing weight than them, that the only reason the person who is doing it is must be that that person has it easy or doesn't understand the struggle. I'm sure the issues facing everyone are different, but you don't know how hard someone else has it, so assuming it's easier for them and they can't get it is IMO wrong and presumptuous and a self-defeatist attitude.
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't like "diets" that eliminate particular food groups (or macromolecules). After hitting menopause three years ago the weight is starting to creep back on and I'm really struggling to get it back off. My doctor actually told me "this is just what happens as you age". Seriously? Others keep telling me to eliminate carbs and/or eat just protein. I just want to keep the heart attacks away, which took down most of my family long before they ever got close to my age. Lifestyle changes are the best idea!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Perhaps the point being made was not that non pregnant people also gain too much, but that there are women who use the pregnancy as an excuse to gain too much. Yes, every women should be discussing what is healthy with their OB/GYN who is familiar with her specific situation. But if we are being real honest there are women who disregard what is healthy and just go nuts with how much they choose to eat while pregnant with the thought that its ok because they are pregnant. That does not negate the cravings, or the hormones that go crazy. I have had 3 babies, but I have more then one friend who chose to ignore the recommendations of their doctors, and gained way more weight then was recommended and then acted all shocked when they did not lose the 50-60lbs after giving birth. Yes they lost the first 20-30 pretty fast because that was the excess from Baby and excess fluids ect. But the other 20-30 was excess fat they gained because they ate way more then their bodies needed during pregnancy even when you account for the extra calories and nutrients needed to grow a baby. Then they are unhappy and blame having kids on their weight gain. No not every woman does this, but some do. But lets face it everyone of us who has been overweight at some point could find an excuse for our choices, whether you have had babies or not.

respect-thumb.jpg
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    loftus4827 wrote: »
    Kettle bells are retarded. There I said it

But fun!
This discussion has been closed.