Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Sallyw2004 wrote: »
    hovc9x5hmcpr.jpeg
    osmlcx64wb5o.jpeg

I don’t know what kind of sorcery is involved, but the taste and texture of this holds up to real bacon for me. It takes about 20-25 seconds in the microwave for two slices. I love bacon, especially the really good thick cut kind, so my standards are pretty high!

Never had chicken bacon but only 30 calories for 2 slices of bacon? *heads to store*
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    Today's lunch before my wife went to work. Added on top some San-J Polynesian Spicy Sauce (my favorite gluten free brand of Asian sauces -- relatively clean ingredient list for a bottled Asian sauce and nearly all Organic).

Black Rice, Roasted Brussel Sprouts/Sweet Potatoes, Kale w/ just a bit of Sesame Oil and Sesame Seeds, Fresh Pineapple, Green Onion and some Sprouts. Oh, and some Xtra Firm tofu grilled a bit with some olive oil.

geu8egtzg6wk.jpg
    Wow that looks incredible
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Fish and chips today cause fish Friday lol
    Huge plate of under 400cal dinner

cq08hn4jlhjb.jpg
    Those waffle fries look amazing omg. Do you make them from scratch? Do you bake or use air fryer ?
  • pinkgurl456
    pinkgurl456 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love high volume eating ! I usually have two huge sweet potatoes and vegan Greek yogurt for dinner 😄
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Fish and chips today cause fish Friday lol
    Huge plate of under 400cal dinner

cq08hn4jlhjb.jpg

how much oil do you add to the veggies before you roast/ air fry them?
  • Sallyw2004
    Sallyw2004 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A little snack after my hot bike ride today.

lc9m41tikerk.jpg

Looks like an intricate creation. What’s in it?
  • Sallyw2004
    Sallyw2004 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    7dcqck3js8sg.jpeg

This fluff is from the other day. It was fluffier and creamier than it looks. I used vanilla quest and anise extract. Black licorice heaven! If you like good n plenty, black jelly beans, sambuca, or anything black licorice related, this definitely delivers tons of flavor.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    A little snack after my hot bike ride today.

lc9m41tikerk.jpg

yes...your 'little' snack lol!
    looks yummy
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm sure that many of you use air fryers, so I'm looking for suggestions on a good one . What do you think is important when you shop for one, are some futures more useful than others, hoping to get tips.
    It's intended as a present for my son, hoping to encourage healthier and easier cooking in school and in his future independent life. He doesn't have full kitchen in his dorm this year, and his eating habits have gotten a lot worse since he left home.
    One more thing, we got air popcorn machine at home and he doesn't like popcorn without any oil. Is that going to be similar taste with air fryed food? I used to make popcorn from kernels with just little bit of oil, and he always enjoyed that. But hates the no oil version. Thanks
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    How big is an air fryer? Like the size of a toaster oven? Does it make a mess?
  • icemom011
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    I'm sure that many of you use air fryers, so I'm looking for suggestions on a good one . What do you think is important when you shop for one, are some futures more useful than others, hoping to get tips.
    It's intended as a present for my son, hoping to encourage healthier and easier cooking in school and in his future independent life. He doesn't have full kitchen in his dorm this year, and his eating habits have gotten a lot worse since he left home.
    One more thing, we got air popcorn machine at home and he doesn't like popcorn without any oil. Is that going to be similar taste with air fryed food? I used to make popcorn from kernels with just little bit of oil, and he always enjoyed that. But hates the no oil version. Thanks

Breville Smart Oven Pro. All you will ever need.

Thank you, but it won't work for him, not for now at least.
    nowine4me wrote: »

I think it's more like a coffee maker, medium size. They come in different capacities, so probably slightly different sizes
  • icemom011
    Options

Breville Smart Oven Pro. All you will ever need.

Thank you, but it won't work for him, not for now at least.

I think it's more like a coffee maker, medium size. They come in different capacities, so probably slightly different sizes

Why?

He doesn't like to have too many things at school, it's quite large for a small college dorm that he shares with roommates, many reasons. He has a very minimalistic approach to what he takes with him now, many many good things that i got for him didn't make the cut.
  • icemom011
    Options
    I'm pretty sure he would have more use of this very very good stove than a dumb aitfryer. Just my opinion.

You're right. Hopefully in time, when he has his own place.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure he would have more use of this very very good stove than a dumb aitfryer. Just my opinion.

You're right. Hopefully in time, when he has his own place.

Get him one of these instead...I'm thinking this would be a much better purchase:l3ox3ltlzb8r.png
    BREVILLE BOV845BSS ($216US)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Assuming the dorm has a communal kitchen and his room has a shared fridge, he won’t starve. If I had one thing to bring to a dorm room, it would be a small instant pot. Heat up soup, steam potatoes, batch rice, beans, oatmeal. Slow cook stews, etc. way better than Dominos of speed dial like back in my day.
  • icemom011
    Options
    Assuming the dorm has a communal kitchen and his room has a shared fridge, he won’t starve. If I had one thing to bring to a dorm room, it would be a small instant pot. Heat up soup, steam potatoes, batch rice, beans, oatmeal. Slow cook stews, etc. way better than Dominos of speed dial like back in my day.

Oh no, he won't starve. That's not an issue. He's on his senior year, and over last two years gained a lot of weight. It's worse over the summer while he interns, but he didn't slim back to his younger and much healthier self over the school year either. I just want to encourage more of a healthier cooking at home rather than too much of a take out food, and for him somehow to fall back into his old habits while he lived at home. And @nowine4me, he bought himself a small instant pot and he has nutrabullet. I was considering air fryer for myself a while ago, but didn't get it. I grill most of our food, so I don't think it will be too useful (plus, we have plenty of gadgets as it is, including a small convection oven). It seems like you can cook veggies, chicken and other meats in it and i feel like it's worth a shot at encouraging lower calorie options.