July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless and @BruinsGal_91 I love you ladies!! You seriously made me feel more like an athlete and less like a Sweaty Betty!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    July 8 – 0.0 miles Rest

Total: 31.75/100 miles

Today was a weather rest day. I like running in the rain, but I draw the line at severe thunderstorms. Yes, I have a treadmill for ugly weather days. However, my treadmill needs electricity. Our severe thunderstorms mean intermittent power outages. So, no running or video-driven workout for me today. No biggie. I ran an extra day earlier this week.

Upcoming Races:
    July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for zones, look up how he sets up "buckets" on Garmin, because there are gaps between z2 and z3 and z3 and z4, it's not a perfect correlation. I think he has it on his website....

Yeah, there is no way to do his gaps, so I kind of just fudged it and used the bottom number of the zone above as the top number of the zone below. Which might not be perfect, but probably roughly close.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - The zones you set up, and the results you display, look consistent with what I call Zones 1 through 5. Your numbers are a little higher than mine, but you're probably a little younger and there will be some variation between individuals anyway. I don't worry too much about the descriptive label that goes with the zone number.

Moby, here is the raw values I tried to map into Strava:

7f6uhfvqzrvf.png

Those are based on the formulas from the 80/20 and my magical Excel Spread Sheet :)

• PastorVincent
    Options
    I ordered some tailwind. Had spare gift card for Amazon laying around...should arrive on Monday will report later this week assuming I get a chance to try it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I ordered some tailwind. Had spare gift card for Amazon laying around...should arrive on Monday will report later this week assuming I get a chance to try it.

I loved my first experience with it, today
  • PastorVincent
    Options

How was the taste? I see some people claim it is way too sweet, but I figure I can dilute it to compensate. Do you feel it really replaced everything for you?
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

How was the taste? I see some people claim it is way too sweet, but I figure I can dilute it to compensate. Do you feel it really replaced everything for you?

I didn't drink a huge amount, 34oz over 4 hours, two 17oz bottles, but it seemed to do the trick. Didn't seem super sweet to me. Pretty light taste I thought. I thought the calorie replacement was good and so was the electrolyte replacement. The caffeine was just about right for me.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - The zones you set up, and the results you display, look consistent with what I call Zones 1 through 5. Your numbers are a little higher than mine, but you're probably a little younger and there will be some variation between individuals anyway. I don't worry too much about the descriptive label that goes with the zone number.

Moby, here is the raw values I tried to map into Strava:

7f6uhfvqzrvf.png

Those are based on the formulas from the 80/20 and my magical Excel Spread Sheet :)

Hmm. That's interesting. If I look at Garmin Connect, I see that I have the option of setting zones as % of lactic threshold heart rate, and it will calculate them as you did; the stated percent will be bottom of zone, and top of zone will be just below bottom of next zone.

Let's think about this. I've been using the Reserve (Karvonnen) method of zone calculation based on a resting HR of 45 and a max HR of 185. Another thread gave a do it yourself way to calculate LT HR. I happened to have a race that fit their test pretty well, and the answer came out at 157. So If I compare the Karvonnen method (don't have formal names for all the zones) and the 80-20 method, here's what I get:

96vg2ftqlqqn.png

If I believe these numbers, "moderate" is where I'm most comfortable on long solo runs. "Threshold" is where I've mostly been running shorter races, with a kick into "VO2 Max" near the end. Doctrine is that I should be able to run a race shorter than an hour above lactic threshold pace; maybe I haven't been working as hard as I can? Or maybe my lactic threshold HR estimate is too high.

I'm in that odd spot where the theory is making sense, but I'm not so sure I have the right numbers to work with.
  • MobyCarp
    Options

I've tried samples of Tailwind at various running store marketing opportunities, and have never been crazy about the taste. In particular, the Green Tea with Lemon should stop pretending to be tea. That having been said, all the times I've tasted it have been standing around times. It's possible that, like GU, it will taste a whole lot better in the middle of a run when I need it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MobyCarp, juat a note, those no-mans lands are, AFAIK mainly gor training, basically, fitzgerald says that in those ranges, they are too hard for thr lower zone, and not hard enough to be truly in the next zone.... not good bang for your buck... fitzgerald says to stay out of them as much as possible, he calls them comes X and Y.... random rambling of mine....
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    @MobyCarp, juat a note, those no-mans lands are, AFAIK mainly gor training, basically, fitzgerald says that in those ranges, they are too hard for thr lower zone, and not hard enough to be truly in the next zone.... not good bang for your buck... fitzgerald says to stay out of them as much as possible, he calls them comes X and Y.... random rambling of mine....

@MNLittleFinn - That would make Zone X very much like Marathon Pace in the Jack Daniels system. There is little to no physiological benefit from training there, and you do it for the mental training to run the pace you want to run on marathon race day.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

@MNLittleFinn - That would make Zone X very much like Marathon Pace in the Jack Daniels system. There is little to no physiological benefit from training there, and you do it for the mental training to run the pace you want to run on marathon race day.

cool. I need to go back and re-read Daniel's book, I forgot he put it in there that way
  • MobyCarp
    Options

cool. I need to go back and re-read Daniel's book, I forgot he put it in there that way

I'm not so sure that's from Jack; I got that from my coach, who uses Jack's system but tweaks it with some of his own stuff.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It's possible that, like GU, it will taste a whole lot better in the middle of a run when I need it.

That's exactly how I feel about Gatorade. It only tastes good when you need it.

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Ha, @PastorVincent, @BettyM1017, @BruinsGal_91 & @amymoreorless I sweat whenever anyone says hot! It was only 61F this morning with maybe 60% humidity and I was a huge puddle at the end of my run. I don't know how to measure sweat, but...

7/1: 6.26
    7/2: 3.16
    7/3: 6.23
    7/5: 5.34
    7/6: 6.27
    7/8: 7.09

34.35/100
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7/1 8 miles - forced early stop :frowning:
    7/2 Forced rest day
    7/3 7 easy miles in high humidity
    7/4 10 easy miles in high humidity
    7/5 7 miles in high humidity
    7/6 Thunderstorms forced rest day :frowning:
    7/7 6 miles zone 2/3
    7/8 17 miles in zone 2 (moderate)

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

07/28/17 - Liberty Mile - 1 mile race just to see what a short run really is :)
    08/2017 - Cranberry Cup 5k. (hopefully - plan for a PR attempt)
    10/14/17 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

So I am way behind in calories for the week, but tomorrow will be spent driving, and I will rack up calories and have like negative activity. However, I intended to get one last run in before hitting the road. Was hoping to get a long run in so I carb loaded by stopping at BK and getting a Whopper with Cheese and Fries followed by a Large Milk Shake at Sheetz. (that's over 2k calories in that meal LOL) Yeah, it had nothing to do with fast cheap, and tasty. (Milkshakes are on sale at Sheetz, $1.99 any size) It was all about proper training. Sure. Yeah. That's the ticket.

So I headed out with no plan other than left right left right (never right left right left as that would be a very bad thing (TM) ) and ended up knocking out 17 miles with 83% of my time in Zone 2. Strava said my "suffer score" was "extreme." I lost ten pounds in water so if you are running low, I guess you can follow me around. :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    If I believe these numbers, "moderate" is where I'm most comfortable on long solo runs. "Threshold" is where I've mostly been running shorter races, with a kick into "VO2 Max" near the end. Doctrine is that I should be able to run a race shorter than an hour above lactic threshold pace; maybe I haven't been working as hard as I can? Or maybe my lactic threshold HR estimate is too high.

I'm in that odd spot where the theory is making sense, but I'm not so sure I have the right numbers to work with.

Well, Moderate is supposed to be your long run workout pace. So that is good.

How did you come up with your lactic threshold HR estimate?

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    7/1 - Rest Day
    7/2 -Rest Day
    7/3 - Rest Day
    7/4 - 2.98 (Based on Garmin distance) for local 5K… time was 26:22; not a PR at all, but I haven't run at all since 6/24 and won't be fat adapted for awhile yet.
    7/5 - 5.03 miles - not as fast as I planned :(
    7/6 - 3.01 miles treadmill. Plan was for easy miles, and these were scary slow.
    7/7 - Rest day
    7/8 - 7.37 miles. New trail running shoes! Went out on a trail I haven't visited for awhile, was hot and very slow. Very tall grass in areas made this very difficult as well.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    7/4/17 - Miner 5K
    7/29/17 - Dr. Dash 10K
    10/21/17 - Oregon Trail Run HM