July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Well, it may be time to go back to the doctor. My hip was feeling okay all day, so I decided to try going for a run. As soon as I started running, my hip started hurting again. Like, pretty bad. I tried to work through it, but after 5k decided it would be better to not run anymore.

I'm really frustrated. The weather was beautiful today and it would have been a great day for a long run. But my stupid hip won't let me.

Guess I'll be doing other things for a while. Hello biking and walking. Sigh.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @PastorVincent if you don't end up enjoying Tailwind I use Elete which is flavorless thankfully. Never had an issue with it but it is on the expensive side

Ran hill repeats on trail today while the rest of the local trail running group was at Sin 7. Second long run tomorrow. Oddly the increased volume is actually helping my sore left hip.

July 1- 9.7
    July 2- 5
    July 4- 11.7
    July 6- 12.1
    July 7- 7.6
    July 8- 21

67.1/360

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @PastorVincent if you don't end up enjoying Tailwind I use Elete which is flavorless thankfully. Never had an issue with it but it is on the expensive side

Ran hill repeats on trail today while the rest of the local trail running group was at Sin 7. Second long run tomorrow. Oddly the increased volume is actually helping my sore left hip.

July 1- 9.7
    July 2- 5
    July 4- 11.7
    July 6- 12.1
    July 7- 7.6
    July 8- 21

67.1/360

How far you going tomorrow? I have a short "long run" tomorrow, 15k
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I hope I like it, blew a $40 gift card on 50 servings of it.... :neutral: Cuz I smart!

@RespectTheKitty Yuck :frowning: Hope you get that sorted soon!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I hope I like it, blew a $40 gift card on 50 servings of it.... :neutral: Cuz I smart!

@RespectTheKitty Yuck :frowning: Hope you get that sorted soon!

Me too. I'm going to get a PT referral from my doctor ASAP. Obviously I'm not doing something I need to be doing.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options

July 1- 9.7
    July 2- 5
    July 4- 11.7
    July 6- 12.1
    July 7- 7.6
    July 8- 21

67.1/360

How far you going tomorrow? I have a short "long run" tomorrow, 15k

Meant to be 25 but I know who I am so it may end up closer to 30 lol. Hoping to drag my behind out for 5am to beat some of the heat/most of the creepers.

Will your 15 be on trail? Today was trail for me so tomorrow is road long run because in my brain split terrain long runs makes sense lollll
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Well, it may be time to go back to the doctor. My hip was feeling okay all day, so I decided to try going for a run. As soon as I started running, my hip started hurting again. Like, pretty bad. I tried to work through it, but after 5k decided it would be better to not run anymore.

I'm really frustrated. The weather was beautiful today and it would have been a great day for a long run. But my stupid hip won't let me.

Guess I'll be doing other things for a while. Hello biking and walking. Sigh.

@RespectTheKitty Aw, bugger, so sorry to hear that. I've rolled my ankle on a trail run this morning in sympathy. Currently sitting with it strapped and up on my desk.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    @Elise4270 congrats on the AG! Who cares if there were only two of you- you still beat the other guy ;)
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    July Goal: 85 mile (yeah, a REAL goal!)

7/1 3.75
    7/2 3.52
    7/3 rest
    7/4 3.26
    7/5 5.18
    7/6 snorkel 3.5 hours
    7/7 3.40
    7/8 6.00

Total 25.11

YEA! @Elise4270

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png
    upcoming races:
    Fun in the Sun Virtual 10k 6/28/17
    Race to Cure Sarcoma Month of July
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    If I believe these numbers, "moderate" is where I'm most comfortable on long solo runs. "Threshold" is where I've mostly been running shorter races, with a kick into "VO2 Max" near the end. Doctrine is that I should be able to run a race shorter than an hour above lactic threshold pace; maybe I haven't been working as hard as I can? Or maybe my lactic threshold HR estimate is too high.

I'm in that odd spot where the theory is making sense, but I'm not so sure I have the right numbers to work with.

Well, Moderate is supposed to be your long run workout pace. So that is good.

How did you come up with your lactic threshold HR estimate?

On another thread, people posted about a do it yourself estimate for lactic threshold HR. You were supposed to run a 30 minute time trial as hard as you can, in good conditions, with even splits. Use your average HR for the last 20 minutes. There was a source for this, but I don't remember what it was.

There's no way I'm going through that exercise just to satisfy my curiosity about my LT HR. But I had this 8K race in Virginia Beach, in good running conditions, with nearly even splits, on a course as flat as a track. It took me 31 minutes. Garmin doesn't give me average HR in arbitrary intervals, but it does for laps; and I was autolapping miles. So I kicked out the first 2 miles (12 minutes and change) and looked at the average HR for the remaining 3 miles. That came out at 157, fairly steady across the miles. It also matched the top of Zone 3 done by the reserve method, which was a sanity check subject to the accuracy of my resting HR and max HR estimates.

Edit to add: Where my doubts come in is from the other sanity check: Lactic threshold is supposed to be something I can sustain for about an hour. If I run a 30 minute time trial as hard as I can, by definition that should be a pace I can't sustain for a full hour. And I certainly didn't have another 29 minutes of that pace left in me after I crossed the finish line at Virginia Beach. So maybe my LT HR should be a few beats lower than 157.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    On another thread, people posted about a do it yourself estimate for lactic threshold HR. You were supposed to run a 30 minute time trial as hard as you can, in good conditions, with even splits. Use your average HR for the last 20 minutes. There was a source for this, but I don't remember what it was.

There's no way I'm going through that exercise just to satisfy my curiosity about my LT HR. But I had this 8K race in Virginia Beach, in good running conditions, with nearly even splits, on a course as flat as a track. It took me 31 minutes. Garmin doesn't give me average HR in arbitrary intervals, but it does for laps; and I was autolapping miles. So I kicked out the first 2 miles (12 minutes and change) and looked at the average HR for the remaining 3 miles. That came out at 157, fairly steady across the miles. It also matched the top of Zone 3 done by the reserve method, which was a sanity check subject to the accuracy of my resting HR and max HR estimates.

Edit to add: Where my doubts come in is from the other sanity check: Lactic threshold is supposed to be something I can sustain for about an hour. If I run a 30 minute time trial as hard as I can, by definition that should be a pace I can't sustain for a full hour. And I certainly didn't have another 29 minutes of that pace left in me after I crossed the finish line at Virginia Beach. So maybe my LT HR should be a few beats lower than 157.

I doubt it is precise enough for "a few beats" to make a real difference. I used a 10k race that I finished in 50 mins which was a PR. Figure that had to be pretty close.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @PastorVincent The test @MobyCarp is talking about is the Friel Test. I used it for my HR zones, and found, for me at least, it was pretty darn accurate, as I also have 1hr data that correlates with it pretty well.

Here's Joe Friel's blog article about it, the beginning of the article covers the test it'self, the rest is on his zoone setting: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/joe-friel-s-quick-guide-to-setting-zones/
    Here's my test last November: https://www.strava.com/activities/777909124/overview
    My splits duriing the 30 minute window could have been tighter, but I think they were OK. The 175 Average I got from the last 20 minutes lines up well with what I have seen across date. However, no test/data is perfect, so YMMV