July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Somewhat useful article on midrun fueling for beginners...

http://www.runnersworld.com/for-beginners-only/why-is-on-the-run-fuel-so-important
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Happy anniversary, @shanaber !! :heart:

http://www.runnersworld.com/for-beginners-only/why-is-on-the-run-fuel-so-important

Thanks!

For some reason I never actually realised that glycogen is stored carbohydrate. I knew we need both (and fat) for energy, but didn't realise they were so similar.

I still don't quite understand how running slow training runs trains the body to burn fat instead of glycogen.

That article gave me a hint by stating: "The lower the intensity and the longer the run, the higher the percentage of fat is used for fuel, and the lower the percentage of glycogen. The higher the intensity and the shorter the run (like a track workout or other interval training), the higher the percentage of glycogen is used for fuel."

But I don't understand *how* the body learns to burn fat and not let you hit the wall when you're in your race.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hellow fellow runners!

7/3: 8.1k -easy run-
    7/4: 12.6k -intervals-
    7/6: 10.8k -2.5k w/u+8.3k progressive running-
    7/8: 8.5k -recovery after 2.2k swimming-
    7/9: 15.1k -Long run-
    7/10: -strength training-
    7/11: 10.7k -intervals-
    7/12: rest day due to terrible headache

Not able to run yesterday and it seems that I am not in a good condition to run today. Maybe through running the pain will go away?

65.8k/140k

Stay hydrated!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I am way behind because I was gone all weekend - celebrating my 40th anniversary!

Happy Anniversary! 40 years! Wow! Congrats!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Hellow fellow runners!

7/3: 8.1k -easy run-
    7/4: 12.6k -intervals-
    7/6: 10.8k -2.5k w/u+8.3k progressive running-
    7/8: 8.5k -recovery after 2.2k swimming-
    7/9: 15.1k -Long run-
    7/10: -strength training-
    7/11: 10.7k -intervals-
    7/12: rest day due to terrible headache

Not able to run yesterday and it seems that I am not in a good condition to run today. Maybe through running the pain will go away?

65.8k/140k

Stay hydrated!

"Running through the pain" is rarely good advice but it all depends on the CAUSE of said pain. Do you know what triggered the pain?
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options

"Running through the pain" is rarely good advice but it all depends on the CAUSE of said pain. Do you know what triggered the pain?

Probably air condition. All day and all night due to high temp

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Happy anniversary, @shanaber !! :heart:

Thanks!

For some reason I never actually realised that glycogen is stored carbohydrate. I knew we need both (and fat) for energy, but didn't realise they were so similar.

I still don't quite understand how running slow training runs trains the body to burn fat instead of glycogen.

That article gave me a hint by stating: "The lower the intensity and the longer the run, the higher the percentage of fat is used for fuel, and the lower the percentage of glycogen. The higher the intensity and the shorter the run (like a track workout or other interval training), the higher the percentage of glycogen is used for fuel."

But I don't understand *how* the body learns to burn fat and not let you hit the wall when you're in your race.

Well, I do not KNOW, but what I would SUSPECT is it has to do with power draw.

So think of it this way, if you live in an area where there are power outages, you probably have heard generators running. When you just have a hand full of lights and maybe cell phone chargers plugged in, the generator ticks along at a constant level. Now, say you have a large appliance plugged in. When that thing cycles on, you hear the generator kick it up to a higher level of output. That fast hard hit made it work harder to keep up with power draw.

I suspect your body works the same way. When you are drawing energy into your muscles at a slow steady rate, the fat burning system ticks along happily but when you crank it up a notch your muscles start demanding MORE POWER NOW and your body increases its use of glycogen to match demand.

Or, in short, I would think it is based on level and rate of demand. Higher and faster demand can only be fulfilled by glycogen. Lower and slower can tap fat stores.

• PastorVincent
    Options

Probably air condition. All day and all night due to high temp

WHAT I WOULD DO:
    Go for an easy run and see how it feels. Stay close to your home base, if it gets worse, stop. If it gets better, run faster.

WHAT YOU PROBABLY SHOULD DO:
    Call your doctor and get professional advice from someone that actually has a clue.
    :smiley:
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1/7-4.7 Miles
    2/7-6.8
    3/7-REST
    4/7-2.8
    5/7-3
    6/7-REST
    7/7-3.1
    8/7-REST
    9/7-4.8
    10/7-3.1
    11/7-4
    12/7-3.5
    13/7-4.9

Total -43.7/100
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    July Running Challenge
    Goal: 100 km
    Ran: 37/100

13/7/17 Run 8 km walk 5 km
    12/7/17 Run 7 km walk 5 km
    11/7/17 Run 8 km Walk 6 km
    10/7/17 Walk 5 km
    9/7/17 Run 7 km
    8/7/17 walk 2km
    7/7/17 Walk 4 km
    6/7/17 (Sick)Rest day
    5/7/17 Run 7 km + Yoga
    4/7/17 SL+ Walk 15 km
    3/7/17 Walk 7 km
    1/7/17 walk 8 km

SL : Strong lift
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Ran an initial 4.5 real slow and steady miles in an effort to keep my heart rate down before meeting up with the group. However, running with the group meant going at a faster pace, and with the weather at 81F and 79% humidity, that put my heart rate back up for the next 5 miles. Also, I don't think it was a good sign that when I got out of bed this morning, I felt light-headed due to low blood pressure. Combining that with the run translated into feeling extremely light-headed at the end of the run. I'll have to keep that in mind and be careful for tomorrow's planned longer run.

05 - 13.56
    06 - 9.72
    07 - 22.03
    10 - 13.55
    11 - 9.76
    12 - 13.11
    13 - 9.57

Total: 91.30 / 250 miles
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    dpjg2el7cb6o.png

I've been lazy this month but my hamstring is finally feeling a lot better. Yesterdays runs were good. I went too fast but it felt good to just be running without injury. It's summer so it's hot like most of y'all are experiencing. It was 92F/33C with 84% humidity at run time (5:00p EST). My half-frozen hydration pack was fantastic! I took the hose and sprayed the back of my neck while I was running. That made all the difference. I need to get out again probably Friday before my 5 mile trail race on Sat. I hope everyone's doing good. I feel I'm too far behind to catch up with what everyone's doing. Have fun but stay hydrated everyone!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    7/1 = gym day: 1 hour strength training
    7/2 = 13 miles with running group (run/walk)
    7/3 = 7.5 miles & 30 minutes strength training
    7/4 = Vinyasa yoga class & 4 miles hiking with hubby and pups
    7/5 = 7.5 miles (6 - 5 minutes speed intervals)
    7/6 = 5.5 miles
    7/7 = 3 miles (track workout: 2 laps warm up, x8 300m sprints, x8 100m recovery walk, 2 laps cool down) & gym Kettlebell workout
    7/8 = 5.5 miles
    7/9 = 13 miles
    7/10 = 7 miles & 45 minutes strength training
    7/11 = Vinyasa yoga class
    7/12 = 8 miles (6 - 6 minutes speed intervals)
    7/13 = 4.5 miles

Yesterday's run kicked my butt so I decided to go slow and easy today. 4.5 easy miles.

(July miles to date) 76.4/170 (July goal miles)

Upcoming 2017 Races:
    8/12 = Verns No Frills 100 Anniversary 5K Race
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Half Marathon

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Very frustrating morning. I have had vertigo since I'm a teenager, I get what I'll call episodes daily, usually at night when I'm sleeping if I roll over to my right side I'll get dizzy enough to wake me up. Over the years I've had really bad spells of it, at times missing a week of work because I can't drive or can barely stand up. It's been pretty good for a while. Yesterday I got out of the shower and the entire room started to spin and I almost passed out and got sick. I made it through the day knowing not to bend over to quick, not to turn my head to quick etc. This morning I got about 1.5 miles from the house on my run and entire street started to spin and I ended up laying in street (gives a nice picture doesn't it). I was able to sit up and stop from getting sick, but I had to sit there for at least 10 minutes before I could stand up. All I could think was how glad I was I wear a RoadID since I was sure I was going to pass out. So long story short, I had to walk home, tried to run and it was a no go. It's been a very spinny morning ha ha. I'll try again tomorrow, tonight I'm hosting/running my boss's retirement party.

@orphia I love those socks, I'll have to check them out