WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Beth – I am also meticulous about my checking account and I want to balance to the penny. When I buy checks, it drives me crazy that they don’t tell you when they send them how much they’ll cost, they just take it out; so I put that they have taken out $40.

I haven't used a chequing account or balanced a cheque book since ... um ... well, definitely since I moved to Australia in 2009, but I think I ordered my last batch of cheques in 1999 or 2000 ... that would have been when I went 95% electronic. I did have to use them for rent until 2004, and then again for rent in 2007 for a few months, but I think that would have been the last time I used a cheque. They are either not accepted anymore, or only very reluctantly accepted. I still have what they call a "chequing account" but I don't access it with little pieces of paper anymore.

However, we do keep a good eye on the statements.

And regarding shredding ... I did a lot of that before I moved to Australia. Got rid of several file boxes of "paperwork" I had been hanging onto for decades. :)

What I am considering now is a service that will scan stuff for me. I have made enquiries and there is one who will do what I've got for about $400. So I'm debating. I just don't seem to have the time to do it myself ... and it could save us money on our next move ...

I've got lots of file boxes of things I've collected over the years ... newspaper articles, stuff from all the courses I've taken (I've taken over 100 courses since graduating high school), photos, etc. etc. I think I still want to keep those things because they made it through 2 previous purges, but I'd like to keep them on a back-up harddrive instead of in several file boxes. It's just the process of making that happen which is holding me up.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of Mel B Workout DVD. the plan for tomorrow is to do Leslie Sansone Ultimate 5 Day Walk DVD.

okie - i agree with you that there really isn't a bad food. Everything in moderation

Welcome everyone new

Well, Jess bought the CX-5 today.

Tired right now.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    Options
    A
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Dana – My guys used to be in a hunting club; and there was farm land all around, so when the farmer plowed the fields, they’d go out looking for arrowheads and sheds (racks off deer) and stuff. Once they found what looked like a musket ball. Iron about 2” in diameter with scratches around it. Looks like if it got shot out of a gun, it’d knock you out and probably kill you. Also found a pair of wire rimmed glasses that were ‘old’ not the normal kind you can buy now.

Lanette – She dragged him (Earl) down the driveway or just drove him down the driveway. LOL!!! Makes you wonder about finding old people who have outlived everybody in their family up in an old house full of cats and just old stuff. Did nobody miss Earl? I’d think having Earl getting ripe out in the shed might have driven her crazy enough that the authorities would think she has lost a few screws. OMGoodness, I hope I don’t live that long. If she lived in Atlanta and sat him in the passenger seat she could get in the fast lane for commuters. You’d be surprised how many people will make something that looks like a person so they can ride in that lane. When our DYS was in HS, he snuck out of our house one night leaving the window cracked a little and the screen unfastened. Like all teenagers, me included, think they can fool their parents by stuffing pillows under the covers. I got cold and went looking for the reason. Draft like crazy coming from his room. Pulled covers back, it wasn’t him in bed, so I locked the screen and window and locked it and went back to bed. No telling how long he sat out in the cold on the doorstep before he gave up and rang the doorbell. I had ‘tossed his room’ and then ‘short-sheeted’ his bed. Got up, let him in, went back to bed and heard him grunting and groaning trying to get his feet under the cover, smiled, turned over and went to sleep (laughing).

Becca WOW!!!! The painted rocks are WONDERFUL!!!! I think I will know what I might do tomorrow. Paint rocks.

Loved the bank video! Amazing!

We burn whatever has our name on it. Junk Mail, anything with an Rx label, taking it off bottle, throw bottle in trashcan; and chunk the label in the ‘burn can’.

KJ – I don’t see how young couples with several children make enough to pay childcare and bring home enough money to make it worthwhile. I made good money and childcare was ½ of what my children had to pay for theirs.

Joyce – Most alcoholics don’t think of anyone but themselves and when they either fall off the wagon or they make enemies, it is ‘never’ their fault. They want to blame others. You have to learn how to avoid having them in your way to upset your apple cart. They need to learn to tow their own. Fat chance of that, if they can weasel their way into someone’s life and make them just as miserable. Charlie’s ‘step-mom’ sounds like she was the ‘wicked’ stepmom.

Machka – Several years ago, I had my ‘ID’ used by someone else; and, the HELLO-KITTY I went through to get that all straightened out, I want a paper trail that I can go to and show it to someone and say, ‘I did not ‘write’ this check or charge this amount’ … correct it. I had a double charge for a fill-up of gas on the same day, at the same place, and the reason was because when I put my card in the gas tank to pay and get a receipt, it told me to ‘see the cashier’. Apparently, the thing was low or out of paper; so when I asked for a receipt it doubled it. It was easy to dispute … just took about 2 months to straighten it out. They’ll deduct money immediately out of your account; but, it takes months to have it credited back to your account/card.

I want a statement, I don’t want to have to make up another freaking password for an account that I might only use 3 or 4 x’s a month or year. We don’t get a newspaper. Not from our town or from Albany. Waste of paper, in my opinion.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: I never considered asking the Credit Union if they have shredding opportunities. I'll give them a call on Monday. Thanks for a good idea. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I hope you enjoy the Lavender icecream. :smiley: We also have a shredder, but it wouldn't be tough enough to handle old tax papers. :noway: We have things that have been hanging around for years and years that need shredding. :ohwell:

Becca: I love the US Bank story. :star:

I had a good day today. I got the best compliment ever from the woman who owns the stable. She was able to take Arrow to the county fair and patrol the fairgrounds with another rider. He was a good boy for her and she gave me some of the credit for his improved behavior. I am so touched by her kind words. I am the one of the least experienced riders at the stable & have been enjoying my time with Arrow. We've both been improving. Tomorrow DH & I need to take the rented scooter back & I suspect we'll be buying one like it. It has been a nice asset for my husband and enabled him to get out and do things for fun, like going to the fair.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Welcome new girls

Off to a family Baptism today, nice to see DHs family, although all live here we are not what you call close and apart from son and wife my family are scattered.

Got my pre op tomorrow, not looking forward to that, hate getting drops in my eyes.

Have been pretty good foodwise this week, lost a little, seem to have got past the snacking bout I was on. Just as well I have been very good on exercising or I would defo have put weight on

We have a shredder and I try to do it as I go along and every now and again get rid of stuff from file cabinet. We can't put shredded paper in our recycling bin???

Kate UK <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka – Several years ago, I had my ‘ID’ used by someone else; and, the HELLO-KITTY I went through to get that all straightened out, I want a paper trail that I can go to and show it to someone and say, ‘I did not ‘write’ this check or charge this amount’ … correct it. I had a double charge for a fill-up of gas on the same day, at the same place, and the reason was because when I put my card in the gas tank to pay and get a receipt, it told me to ‘see the cashier’. Apparently, the thing was low or out of paper; so when I asked for a receipt it doubled it. It was easy to dispute … just took about 2 months to straighten it out. They’ll deduct money immediately out of your account; but, it takes months to have it credited back to your account/card.

I want a statement, I don’t want to have to make up another freaking password for an account that I might only use 3 or 4 x’s a month or year. We don’t get a newspaper. Not from our town or from Albany. Waste of paper, in my opinion.

Sorry to hear about the identity theft.

My husband and I were trying to think what could still be paid for using a cheque here in Australia.

It took some thought ... and then we came up with two things:

People can still pay their utilities with a cheque-like system at the post office if they want to go that route.
    People do use bank drafts/money orders for bond deposits when they rent.

• Machka9
    Options
    spikeyhair wrote: »

Got my pre op tomorrow, not looking forward to that, hate getting drops in my eyes.

I'm not a fan of drops in my eyes either. :(

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning. Had a great visit with SIL and MIL and brought our 20 yo god son home with us for a few days. He is a very quiet, serious young man and looking for non profit work since graduating from USouth Florida. He will spend a few days with us--he is so serious!

We did have fun in Brooklyn walking around an outdoor food hall, it was so $&$&@ hot out, I had to sit down and catch my breath! Then we found a fancy shmancy ice cream shop and had blueberry lavender ice cream that we shared with DD and perked right up--calories are still within the daily limit.

Kelly you are so organized and insightful, I'll bet your DD will really need and appreciate you for those accountability phone calls- if she's still nursing she's gotta drink drink drink and boy do I remember how hungry I was !
    And stressed out!!

Another hot day ahead--heading to the gym. Stay cool everyone.

NYKAREN
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kate UK: We have a shedder, too, but it is too small for the job we need done. There is no way that we could shred all the old tax documents that need to be shredded without going crazy or killing our little shredder. It is a one page at a time unit. We really want to get it to one of the shredding trucks that do massive work. We have to keep tax documents for so many eyars and then can shred them. We've been married a long time and haven't shredded any old documents in years and years. :noway: :embarassed:

Machka: The photos are spectacular! :star: The bikes against the red sky photo is powerful. :heart:

We are planning to go to Astoria Sunday Market today. The offshore weather is set to be windy & I hope the conditions in town are good. I'll bet anything we take a little time to drive down to the mouth of the Columbia River. I expect the waves will be dramatic based on the forecast and wave watching is a favorite pastime.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    Options
    L
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: The photos are spectacular! :star: The bikes against the red sky photo is powerful. :heart:

We are planning to go to Astoria Sunday Market today.

Thanks! Every now and then we'll cycle to the red wall and take some photos. The clouds today were really good ... providing a dramatic effect with the tint of the red wall. :)

I have fond memories of the one night my husband and I spent in Astoria at the end of a US leg of our travels in 2012. :)

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Drkatie - It does take a bit of time to get used to the beast! I have enjoyed my experiments with bread rising, yoghurt, paneer, bean sprouting etc. Today I made yellow split pea soup by just chucking everything in with a frozen kielbasa! ! Next time I will prefry a bit of bacon, but it is very tasty.
    Going to try sweet potatoes tonight to have with the Barbecoa Beef I froze. I will also give them 5 mins in my small oven to crisp up. Best dish was the Black Bean and Ham soup, but I haven't had a fail. My tomato sauce which usually takes hours, was v good too. Stock excellent. Chilli good. Sometimes things need to be stirred around on Sauté to bring them together.
    I would love to try cheesecake, but don't trust myself. (#17 is the best one, they say) I think I will wait for company to make that. :o I have ordered a 7 inch bundt pan to try TOG banana bread with walnuts and choc chips. DH will be eating it, I'm not tempted. :)
    I love to batch cook things like brown rice, quinoa, giant couscous, garbanzos, and freeze in portions for salads. I did a big batch of steel cut oats and froze them. Just had a portion for a pm snack. My son only uses his for grains, beans and curries/stews.
    It could be worth looking at some of the best websites, like Thisoldgal (TOG) Two sleevers, Amy and Jackie (pressurecooking) and, one I have just found which goes into all the science, seriouseats.
    Good luck! :D<3

I've just booked my flights to Glasgow for October for "the girls" reunion. Unfortunately my "difficult friend " will be coming on the same flights with me. Give me patience! >:)

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    Hey all! thought you might get a kick out of this! My older brother posted a video on facebook showing a camping hack. Cooking an omelet in a freezer bag in a pan of boiling water. I was intrigued on if it would actually work. I tried it this morning and it worked. It said cook for 10 minutes, but mine took about 15. Two whole eggs, four egg whites, zucchini, onion, tumeric, and an ounce of sharp cheddar. I am sure it would be quicker to make them in a pan; and then the very weird part of my brain wondered about the boiling of the plastic and the possibility of the plastic toxins leeching into my food. The omelet tasted good, but was less enjoyable to eat with those thoughts in my head. :D64fvwviqhhrk.jpg
    9h0z5dvkzann.jpg
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Well - plastic is so much better than using Styrofoam.

As for paperless; I do have some things taken out automactically; but, those charges remain the same unless I am notified a month in advance that they will change. I do use my debit card a lot because I don't want to waste time writing a check; but, as soon as I get back in my car, I immediately enter them into my regisiter. I have forgotten to do this once or twice and chased my tail trying to figure out where the difference is.

Taking it easy today; but, will walk later (maybe even right before the sun goes down). Sure it would be cooler to go this morning; but, I did not sleep too well last night and haven't been sleeping as much as I should. This is stressful for me and can interfere with my medications.

I see maybe a nap later on this afternoon.

Lenora
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,433 Member
    Options
    B)