WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• MartiB856
    MartiB856 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Good Evening,
    Hope everyone is have a wonderful weekend.
    Marti
    Eastern Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I am having a really Monday Monday. :anguished:

One of those Mondays where things are just not flowing smoothly!

It is going to take me a week or two to get used to this semester's schedule and to make sure I have everything!! The rest of the week is just a normal work week, but Mondays are a combination of work, university and gym.

Done:
    Work
    Walk (3 km)
    First class

Only homework, second class, gym and lots of housecleaning to go until today is done.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I think we've gone and done it now. Prudence asked me to drive her to the grocery today. She said the cab is about $8 but she would pay me $10. She stated that she would call a cab at the store, so it was just dropping her there, which I did. She said she needed to hit up the ATM for cash, so she would pay me when she got home. Then later on my husband answered the phone, and it was the cab company stating she had them call us for a ride. I guess the cab was in another area, and was in their terms, having technical difficulties. My husband stated we couldn't pick her up. I was on the balcony sunning, he was doing a mission on his computer game. Its not my fault she didn't plan and pre-call her request for a cab! Now she hasn't come by. I would have waited if she didn't have that many items, but to drive back home, then drive to fetch her is wasting gas. We are down to $20 for the week! I am feeling so taken advantage of, and I have yet to get my money. We shall see what tomorrow brings... Thoughts ladies?
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    I think we've gone and done it now. Prudence asked me to drive her to the grocery today. She said the cab is about $8 but she would pay me $10. She stated that she would call a cab at the store, so it was just dropping her there, which I did. She said she needed to hit up the ATM for cash, so she would pay me when she got home. Then later on my husband answered the phone, and it was the cab company stating she had them call us for a ride. I guess the cab was in another area, and was in their terms, having technical difficulties. My husband stated we couldn't pick her up. I was on the balcony sunning, he was doing a mission on his computer game. Its not my fault she didn't plan and pre-call her request for a cab! Now she hasn't come by. I would have waited if she didn't have that many items, but to drive back home, then drive to fetch her is wasting gas. We are down to $20 for the week! I am feeling so taken advantage of, and I have yet to get my money. We shall see what tomorrow brings... Thoughts ladies?
    Becca
    Oregon

Can either you or your husband or both pick up a part time job? That might help with the financial difficulties.

Also ... careful with the sunning. It's not really done anymore. I used to be out there as often as I could but I've been way more cautious in recent years.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Finished last week - all goals met - although I had to double up on Planks and Weight Training on Saturday.

July Goals for the week 7/16 – 7/22
    400 calories under budget 5X: XXXXX
    Weights/Abdominals 3X: XXX
    Planks 3X: XXX

July Goals for the week 7/23 – 7/29
    400 calories under budget 5X: OOOOX
    Weights/Abdominals 3X: OOO
    Planks 3X: OOO

I may still manage planks tonight... but I won't mark it down until they are done.

Hugs for Everybody!!

Re in TX
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, all I can say is that's it's tough to want to do something nice but then b taken advantage of. You and your husband need to come to an agreement on this. It would be nice to make something nice for he, go over to her apartment or your and explain your decision and then stick to it. You at in between a rock and a hard space. Might as well paint those rocks!

Joyce, indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,821 Member
    Options
    morning Ladies~
    went to sleep to early and was awake from 8-11 pm, tossing and turning, then slept till 5...working 9-5 and getting out at noon tomorrow and visiting with my friends
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed Baptism yesterday, meeting family, DHs older brother and his wife ( it was their great grands who were being baptised) DBIL is 81 and has dementia so not sure he really knew us.

Been for pre op this morning and will have operation on 12 August so not too bad.

Kate UK <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    becca would DH go with you to speak with Prudence. I think if you shows a united front it might have more impact. The confusion about the cab is typical for her yes? Not a passive way to stick you with the bill? Either way, she needs to settle up with you on that, no question.

The harder part is the slippery slope you are on until she finds a safer living situation, your kindness can't be confused for responsibility--that is on her family and the professionals that she has reached out to (thanks to you). Stick to your plan, see if DH would be willing to go with you when you spell it out again.
    I feel for her, but .....

NYKAREN
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Hot and Muggy in GA! :)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,433 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    becca would DH go with you to speak with Prudence. I think if you shows a united front it might have more impact. The confusion about the cab is typical for her yes? Not a passive way to stick you with the bill? Either way, she needs to settle up with you on that, no question.

The harder part is the slippery slope you are on until she finds a safer living situation, your kindness can't be confused for responsibility--that is on her family and the professionals that she has reached out to (thanks to you). Stick to your plan, see if DH would be willing to go with you when you spell it out again.
    I feel for her, but .....

NYKAREN

Becca, I think Karen hit the nail on the head here. Even if your DH doesn't want to tag along, using him as the "heavy" might work just as well.

You are so kind and generous and I know it causes you grief to see a casual friendship slipping into responsibility that you isn't yours assume.

Just curious - what did Prudence do when she was younger - did she have a job? Marriage? Does she have money resources or is she living on social security only and/or with a small pension? Sometimes this info gives a hint of how to handle folks like this.

(((HUGS))))

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    Becca you did stand by your no by not going to pick her up at the store. Once you said no it was on her to figure out what she needed to do. I have a feeling she waited for a cab and found out it cost more than $8. That is her problem not yours. I agree she needs to work with her own relatives and social services to get her needs met. You are not in a position to be her back up plan. I know in a true emergency you would be there for her but not the day to day stuff. Saying no is not easy but for your own peace of mind and financially that is what you need to do.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    Options
    murder for me not having a hrm :0(
  • galinazo
    galinazo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    5lam5vqurpmb.jpg
    Empowering ain't it?
    Hugs
    Becca

Love it!

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Becca ~ I have no wise words for you but am saying a prayer that all will work out for the best.
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    "Don't confuse kindness with responsibility". That sentence hit the nail on the head. My husband wants nothing to do with her, and it's clearly evident when she knocks on our door, and husband answers the door. She knows not to ask for anything from him, and asks for me. My husband is quite an @$$ to people, and has told me ," See, that is why I am not nice to people"! When she gives me money for tasks I have done, she tells me under no circumstances do I give some to husband! I do anyway, its grocery money or gas money. I am between a rock and a hard place!

No, a part time job is not the solution. I have worked too hard as a caregiver from 2008-2014, while my husband waited for a liver, to not be with him enjoying life. Our circumstances financially is our choice.
    Whidbey island is looking more and more like heaven.

Thank you all for your wise advise, and concern. Hugs!

Becca
    Oregon
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    s8vvbb8r7mhf.jpg