Diet Coke, friend or foe?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Except your body produces glucose even if you don't eat it.

You can lower your blood sugar by decreasing sugar and grain consumption. Works very well for those diagnosed with pre-Type 2 diabetes.

You lower your requirement for insulin by decreasing sugar and grain consumption. Nevertheless, many T2's have their highest sugar numbers in the morning, the "dawn phenomenon", when the liver dumps sugar in to the blood stream after the nightly fast. Where did that sugar come from?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »
    megpie41 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ToriMalt wrote: »
    No, it's not healthy. It's basically a bunch of chemicals mixed together to be sinfully addictive & wonderful. I'm a believer in real, organic food, but I'm addicted to diet mt dew....I allow myself one a day. We can't be saints. Everything in moderation.

So you didn't bother to read the whole thread?

In particular, this link?
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary

There is nothing "scientific" about this thread. It is simply one MFP user's long-winded opinion, and because he has a scientific background, and it goes along with the pro artificial sweetener mentality, it gets posted over and over to prove that it is safe. I truly don't understand how this thread is "scientific" and articles that get posted against artificial sweeteners are all "unscientific"?

*headdesk*
    JHRC....

I have no idea what JHRC means. I know it is probably derogatory, but that's all I know.
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    I guess it depends on if you are truely health conscious or just weight loss conscious.

This would only be true if Diet Coke was harmful to one's health.

Not here to debate, but to add my personal opinion like 200 other people on this thread.

I'm not debating you, I'm pointing out a flaw in the construction of your statement. Whether one is health conscious or "just weight loss conscious," Diet Coke is an acceptable choice.

But in my opinion, Diet drinks are not healthy. The originator of this post, asked for opinions not just scientific evidence. I will not retract my opinion because it's mine. You have your opinions and I have the right to mine.

My mother is a 3 time cancer survivor. When it came back the 3rd time, I researched everything I could about why this was occuring in our society. What I realized was that Food Matters. The oncologist told us that it didn't matter what my mother ate during her chemo, just that she ate. I call bullspit on that. We start feeding her the most nutrious foods that we could find. We watched her nutrition chart like a hawk and when she was dipping on one nutrient, we pumped her full of it. The Dr couldn't believe how well she came out of her chemo treatments because they pumped her full of heavy chemo. They asked us 'what are you doing?', because they couldn't believe that nutrition could make that kind of difference.

Food is not the only thing that matters, but it is the biggest variable that I can control. I choose to put only food, that feeds my body what it needs to stay healthy, in it. And yes I'm here on this forum because I'm fat. I love food and I have eaten way too much of it, but I am working on that. ;)

I agree with your post. Food is fuel for your body and if you feed it crap, it will run like crap. I talk to a lot of different people at my job. I spoke to one lady who had MS. She failed every test her doctor gave her because her MS was so bad. She did research and found info that said gluten could have an effect on MS. She cut out all gluten and went 100% organic. 8 months later when she went back to the doctor she passed every test the doc gave her. He said he had never seen MS reverse. Her scans were almost completely clear. So has this been proven that it is effective against certain disease? No it hasn't, but you can't take her results away from her. I for one believe in food effecting the body in more ways that simply calories.

Absolutely nobody here is denying that food impacts the body in more ways than calories. This is a ridiculous strawman you've propped up here.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am a T2 in remission from significant weight loss and a re-wiring of my digestive tract. I eat grains and sugar. I also drink an abundance of sugar free diet sodas because of my many years as a T2 diabetic. Sugar free sodas help a lot.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Why are low carb diets for diabetics being discussed on a thread about diet soda?

I don't much like Coke so I've never tried Coke Zero. I get diet Coke if needs must when out at a restaurant or something like that.

My soda of choice these days is diet Cranberry Canada Dry. I really like diet Dr. Pepper a lot and would probably drink that more often if my local store sold the caffeine free version.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

You can lower your blood sugar by decreasing sugar and grain consumption. Works very well for those diagnosed with pre-Type 2 diabetes.

You lower your requirement for insulin by decreasing sugar and grain consumption. Nevertheless, many T2's have their highest sugar numbers in the morning, the "dawn phenomenon", when the liver dumps sugar in to the blood stream after the nightly fast. Where did that sugar come from?

It doesn't matter where it came from. That is not relevant to my point.

Many or most people diagnosed as being pre-Type 2 can stop it in its tracks by giving up or greatly reducing grains and sugar for a relatively short period of time (exercise helps). losing weight

Fixed it for you

The ADA recommends a low-carb diet (probably not low enough) for pre-Type 2's and Type 2's. Look it up. But hey, what do they know?

Incredible how advise from a poster who agrees with what one believes in is taken as a given, when it can be easily refuted.

ADA or random poster. You decide.

And yes, sugar and grains do not cause diabetes. The major correlation is obesity.

But once you are diagnosed with pre-Type 2, and if you don't want to take insulin for the rest of your life, sugar and grains should be reduced as much as possible.

If you think you know more than the ADA, more power to you.

Wrong again - go look at any meal plan recommended by the ADA - NONE of them are low carb.

To keep this on topic - if I must drink a soda, I'd go with diet A&W (but I only drink about 3 sodas a year so not a lot of input here).
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What's the difference between Coke Zero and Diet Coke - apart from the different label?

They taste different. I like diet Coke and cannot stand Coke Zero. (The latter may taste more like actual Coke, which I also hate.)

I guess Coke Zero is now Coke Zero Sugar? I saw someone buying a 6 pack the other day.

My stepdad is the same way. He loves the taste of Diet Coke and hates Coke Zero because it tastes so different.

I, on the other hand, am fine with the taste of Diet Coke, but prefer Coke Zero because it does taste more like regular Coca-Cola.

Coke Zero was a reformulation of Diet Coke to make it taste more like regular Coke. Market research found that many people preferred the taste of Diet, and wanting to avoid another New Coke/Coke Classic fiasco, it was introduced alongside Diet instead of replacing it.

Coke Zero Sugar is mostly a marketing gimmick. Since sugar is the devil at the moment, they rebranded it to make it clear that it has zero sugar. It was supposedly tweaked to be even closer tasting to regular, but if there's any difference it's too subtle for me to tell.

Personally, I prefer regular Coke, but drink Coke Zero because it's close enough. I used to hate Diet, but have grown to tolerate it when Zero isn't available.

I *feel* like Coke Zero Sugar tastes slightly different to me, but I can't put my finger on why. And it might just be my mind being tricked by the different label.

It tastes different to me, too. I think it's the aftertaste - Coke Zero always had that weird fake-sweet aftertaste, and Coke Zero Sugar doesn't seem to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

It doesn't matter where it came from. That is not relevant to my point.

Many or most people diagnosed as being pre-Type 2 can stop it in its tracks by giving up or greatly reducing grains and sugar for a relatively short period of time (exercise helps). losing weight

Fixed it for you

The ADA recommends a low-carb diet (probably not low enough) for pre-Type 2's and Type 2's. Look it up. But hey, what do they know?

Incredible how advise from a poster who agrees with what one believes in is taken as a given, when it can be easily refuted.

ADA or random poster. You decide.

And yes, sugar and grains do not cause diabetes. The major correlation is obesity.

But once you are diagnosed with pre-Type 2, and if you don't want to take insulin for the rest of your life, sugar and grains should be reduced as much as possible.

If you think you know more than the ADA, more power to you.

http://www.diabetes.org/mfa-recipes/about-our-meal-plans.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/
    Moderate-carbohydrate (about 45% of calories come from carbohydrate)
    Carbohydrate intake is spread throughout the day.
    Most meals have 45-60 grams of carbohydrate.
    Most snacks have 10-25 grams of carbohydrate.
    We also provide tips on how to adjust each meal plan to make it lower in carbohydrates.

I wouldn't consider 45% of calories from carbohydrates to be low carb...
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Why isn't Diet RC Cola getting any love in here??

Or Diet Summit Cola from ALDI? That stuff is actually pretty delicious and super low in sodium.