• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    TIL that the Cascadia Subduction Zone has the potential to produce a mega-quake with 30 times the energy of one that the San Andreas fault can produce. The area, which stretches off the coast from Vancouver to northern CA, is overdue for an estimated 9.0 quake. This would result in 3-5 MINUTES of shaking (compared to 15-30 seconds in a normal quake) and would result in a tsunami dwarfing the Japan tsunami of 2011. Once the quake happens, the PNW will have about 15 minutes of lead time before the tsunami hits. It's estimated that everything west of Interstate 5 would be unrecognizable and upwards of a million people would be displaced. Conservative death estimates are around 13,000 lives lost.

FEMA has conducted drills for this specific scenario called 'Cascadia Rising'.

on the bright side, my property value would skyrocket.

Yes, but only until Yellowstone blows. We've got potential disasters for e'rybody to enjoy!

I'm good there too!

Maybe a lil' ash, but that's okay. It will block out some of the Sun.

Can we schedule this super volcano eruption for sometime in July?

KillZone1.jpg

Why, is July a special time for you? (ETA- ahh, missed the comment about blocking out the sun.) I'd think you'd prefer it at Christmas time.. enjoy a little snow for once.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    TIL that the Cascadia Subduction Zone has the potential to produce a mega-quake with 30 times the energy of one that the San Andreas fault can produce. The area, which stretches off the coast from Vancouver to northern CA, is overdue for an estimated 9.0 quake. This would result in 3-5 MINUTES of shaking (compared to 15-30 seconds in a normal quake) and would result in a tsunami dwarfing the Japan tsunami of 2011. Once the quake happens, the PNW will have about 15 minutes of lead time before the tsunami hits. It's estimated that everything west of Interstate 5 would be unrecognizable and upwards of a million people would be displaced. Conservative death estimates are around 13,000 lives lost.

Yes, but only until Yellowstone blows. We've got potential disasters for e'rybody to enjoy!

I'm good there too!

KillZone1.jpg

Hmm, I'm dead.

I can't believe you posted that.

I was thinking of you when posting the map. Weird, huh?

Have you thought of moving ??
  • Raquel_Mama
    Raquel_Mama Posts: 1,815 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I'm good there too!

KillZone1.jpg

Hmm, I'm dead.

Haha. Me? That is weird..... why were you thinking of me? I dunno....hopefully..... we'll see what the future holds! I'm just here for the ride :smiley:
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options

I'm good there too!

KillZone1.jpg

Hmm, I'm dead.

Haha. Me? That is weird..... why were you thinking of me? I dunno....hopefully..... we'll see what the future holds! I'm just here for the ride :smiley:

yeah, straight up; I was....

I looked at the map and thought: " Who do I know living in the 'kill zone' ? Ut oh."

I only know of one other person living in the kill zone.

I'll telephone him late tonight and suggest that he move south.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    f64fnwqvwb05.jpg
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    TIL about varying sex drives. Most is a crock of sh it. :D
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,456 Member
    Options
    When I *roll my eyes* I cannot see out the back of my head :laugh: I swear they've 360 degrees today
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    TIL billionaires in London are building "Iceberg Mansions" where most of the home is below ground.

2ppr1c9jkc37.png
    m1q4t7p8z23t.png
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that modern violins were preferred over million-dollar Stradivarius violins when the sound tests were blind.

sbbmd2upx8tw.jpg

Some scientists and violinmakers question whether Strads and other "Old Italians" really have superior acoustic qualities. For decades, blind comparisons have shown that listeners cannot tell them from other violins, and acoustic analyses have revealed no distinct sonic characteristics. In 2014, Claudia Fritz, a musical acoustician at Pierre and Marie Curie University in Paris, and Joseph Curtin, a leading violinmaker in Ann Arbor, Michigan, reported that in a double-blind test with 13 modern instruments and nine Old Italians, 10 elite violinists generally preferred the new violins to the old.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure squirrels like spaghetti...just makes sense
  • cee134
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gFB1lZcdns
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    pudgy1977 wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gFB1lZcdns

OMG....I knew it!!
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    wmqs71srz0hv.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL...

ej1rlqnwqrfq.jpg
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that if yellow stone lost it's cool, the USA would be in a hurt for about 10 years:
    https://www.livescience.com/20714-yellowstone-supervolcano-eruption.html

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA4My8wODYvb3JpZ2luYWwveWVsbG93c3RvbmUtYXNoLTEuanBnPzE0NjIxODkxNjY=
    If a future supereruption resembles its predecessors, then flowing lava won't be much of a threat. The older Yellowstone lava flows never traveled much farther than the park boundaries, according to the USGS. For volcanologists, the biggest worry is wind-flung ash. Imagine a circle about 500 miles (800 kilometers) across surrounding Yellowstone; studies suggest the region inside this circle might see more than 4 inches (10 centimeters) of ash on the ground, scientists reported Aug. 27, 2014, in the journal Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems.

The ash would be pretty devastating for the United States, scientists predict. The fallout would include short-term destruction of Midwest agriculture, and rivers and streams would be clogged by gray muck.

People living in the Pacific Northwest might also be choking on Yellowstone's fallout.

"People who live upwind from eruptions need to be concerned about the big ones," said Larry Mastin, a USGS volcanologist and lead author of the 2014 ash study. Big eruptions often spawn giant umbrella clouds that push ash upwind across half the continent, Mastin said. These clouds get their name because the broad, flat cloud hovering over the volcano resembles an umbrella. "An umbrella cloud fundamentally changes how ash is distributed," Mastin said.

But California and Florida, which grow most of the country's fruits and vegetables, would see only a dusting of ash.

A smelly climate shift

Yellowstone Volcano's next supereruption is likely to spew vast quantities of gases such as sulfur dioxide, which forms a sulfur aerosol that absorbs sunlight and reflects some of it back to space. The resulting climate cooling could last up to a decade. The temporary climate shift could alter rainfall patterns, and, along with severe frosts, cause widespread crop losses and famine.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    TIL that the sharkfin satellite radio antenna used on cars is purely a marketing gimmick and unnecessary from a functional standpoint. The actual antenna itself is a flat square about 1 1/2 inches on a side. The fin is a hollow plastic shell that was developed when satellite radio was new so car companies could show off that a particular model of car came equipped with the technology. On some cars (especially models from Europe), the antenna housing is a minimalist square that's just big enough to cover the antenna.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    TIL that the sharkfin satellite radio antenna used on cars is purely a marketing gimmick and unnecessary from a functional standpoint. The actual antenna itself is a flat square about 1 1/2 inches on a side. The fin is a hollow plastic shell that was developed when satellite radio was new so car companies could show off that a particular model of car came equipped with the technology. On some cars (especially models from Europe), the antenna housing is a minimalist square that's just big enough to cover the antenna.

While this maybe true all satellite antennas (Sat radio or GPS) do need an antenna. Which would you rather have on your car:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrnk6tRPA0iEh7OwPBt31NQCcftQ8GKfLy-KHGx2n5k1fcCTyL
    or
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTokEkYImpLFi0idTtxjkLBBNqsgovSY4Zgdz_LJtPAgRVfnW8SAg
    or
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVVIZC3WzwoNpWt0M7ch69lt77x8IsvcPMsVmlUHy4Or0qqIBpjg

Bare in mind, placement is extremely important as different locations can and will cause signal lose.

Just one old man's opinion