Today I Learned...

Options

Replies

• vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    TIL that you can't put your water skis over your shoulder and walk through a revolving door.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    TIL that the sharkfin satellite radio antenna used on cars is purely a marketing gimmick and unnecessary from a functional standpoint. The actual antenna itself is a flat square about 1 1/2 inches on a side. The fin is a hollow plastic shell that was developed when satellite radio was new so car companies could show off that a particular model of car came equipped with the technology. On some cars (especially models from Europe), the antenna housing is a minimalist square that's just big enough to cover the antenna.

While this maybe true all satellite antennas (Sat radio or GPS) do need an antenna. Which would you rather have on your car:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrnk6tRPA0iEh7OwPBt31NQCcftQ8GKfLy-KHGx2n5k1fcCTyL
    or
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTokEkYImpLFi0idTtxjkLBBNqsgovSY4Zgdz_LJtPAgRVfnW8SAg
    or
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVVIZC3WzwoNpWt0M7ch69lt77x8IsvcPMsVmlUHy4Or0qqIBpjg

Bare in mind, placement is extremely important as different locations can and will cause signal lose.

Just one old man's opinion

Yes, you need an antenna, but all satellite radio antennas use essentially the same physical hardware inside the housing. The fin in the first picture is mostly empty inside, it's purpose is to advertise the fact that the car has satellite radio. No part of the antenna actually sticks up vertically into the fin volume. The second picture is more minimalist in design, form-fitted over the actual antenna hardware.

Personally, I'd rather have the second antenna, preferably color-matched to the car body. It's a cleaner, less obtrusive look.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that if yellow stone lost it's cool, the USA would be in a hurt for about 10 years:
    https://www.livescience.com/20714-yellowstone-supervolcano-eruption.html

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA4My8wODYvb3JpZ2luYWwveWVsbG93c3RvbmUtYXNoLTEuanBnPzE0NjIxODkxNjY=
    If a future supereruption resembles its predecessors, then flowing lava won't be much of a threat. The older Yellowstone lava flows never traveled much farther than the park boundaries, according to the USGS. For volcanologists, the biggest worry is wind-flung ash. Imagine a circle about 500 miles (800 kilometers) across surrounding Yellowstone; studies suggest the region inside this circle might see more than 4 inches (10 centimeters) of ash on the ground, scientists reported Aug. 27, 2014, in the journal Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems.

The ash would be pretty devastating for the United States, scientists predict. The fallout would include short-term destruction of Midwest agriculture, and rivers and streams would be clogged by gray muck.

People living in the Pacific Northwest might also be choking on Yellowstone's fallout.

"People who live upwind from eruptions need to be concerned about the big ones," said Larry Mastin, a USGS volcanologist and lead author of the 2014 ash study. Big eruptions often spawn giant umbrella clouds that push ash upwind across half the continent, Mastin said. These clouds get their name because the broad, flat cloud hovering over the volcano resembles an umbrella. "An umbrella cloud fundamentally changes how ash is distributed," Mastin said.

But California and Florida, which grow most of the country's fruits and vegetables, would see only a dusting of ash.

A smelly climate shift

Yellowstone Volcano's next supereruption is likely to spew vast quantities of gases such as sulfur dioxide, which forms a sulfur aerosol that absorbs sunlight and reflects some of it back to space. The resulting climate cooling could last up to a decade. The temporary climate shift could alter rainfall patterns, and, along with severe frosts, cause widespread crop losses and famine.

honestly i don't think this would be that bad (given i live in one of the much lesser affected areas)- but there's nothing we can do about it if it happens right? in all likelihood, it *will* happen and what will be will be. the changes it would force in the US would be amazing and chaotic and force us into becoming something beyond what we are now.

True and it is not projected to happen any time soon :-)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You can never have too many "hello" gifs in Chit Chat in one day.
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    Coloring is so relaxing. Now I know why so many adults buy those coloring books. It really brings you some inner peace and it takes you back to your nonchalant days.
  • Venus_88
    Venus_88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    That Durian tastes very very bad
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    q42b6jla4iiz.png

I don't get it, it doesn't even rhyme

:lol:
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    TIL that banana candy doesn't taste like banana because the flavoring was invented while an old species of banana was popular, the Gros Michel, which tastes different to the currently popular banana, the Cavendish. Panama disease wiped out the Gros Michel but the artificial flavour never changed.

mzv1ffvi9klv.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL of a Black Sabbath tribute band that dresses up in McDonald's character costumes and sing black sabbath songs with the lyrics changed to sing about food. They are called "Mac Sabbath".

• thedcubed1
    thedcubed1 Posts: 7,209 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    TIL about varying sex drives. Most is a crock of sh it. :D

Wait for real???
  • cee134
    Options
    q42b6jla4iiz.png

best i could do-

Dr. Seuss, most wise and quite great, once had a very pretty wife,

who suddenly fell quite ill and pained; she sadly lost her life.

Though he thought the ache would, forever, last; the good Dr. decided to begin anew;

by meeting a woman from his past, that he always wished to screw.

You're a poet and you didn't even have knowledge of that fact.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    q42b6jla4iiz.png

best i could do-

Though he thought the ache would, forever, last; the good Dr. decided to begin anew;

Best poem I think I've ever read!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    q42b6jla4iiz.png

best i could do-

This wins mfp for today.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    thedcubed1 wrote: »
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    TIL about varying sex drives. Most is a crock of sh it. :D

Wait for real???

yes *shrugs*
  • thedcubed1
    thedcubed1 Posts: 7,209 Member
    Options