Weird things you do with food

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    iamunicoon wrote: »
    When I have cereal, I leave it in the milk for so long it's basically soup. Yum.

You reminded me of a recipe I have for a cake (its for Froot Loops but you can use anything) where you pour the milk over the cereal, leave it for an hour, then strain it and use the sugary cereal milk for the cake. Delish.

do they bake in in the shape of froot loops? because if' not then that recipe needs adjusting.

i'm another lemon-and-sugar pancake person. that's not weird where i come from, it's ordentelik.

I did actually bake it in a ring pan!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I have a vivid childhood memory of my mother dry heaving when I mixed the mashed potatoes, gravy, chicken, and peas together on my plate once.

LOL
  • narspips
    narspips Posts: 48 Member
    edited August 2017
    Barbecue sauce with vegetables to make them more palatable :D

No milk with cereal except muesli. Crunchy over soggy, every time!

I can't stand raisins in sponge cake or bread products - I will literally sit there and pick all of them out before I take a bite. But I love fruitcake and Christmassy stuff: panettone, stollen, etc., raisins and all. Maybe it's the spices?

Also, this isn't a weird thing so much as weird tastes, but I really, really love very slightly stale white bread. I'll often leave bread out for a day on purpose so that it takes on the chewiness that I like. So good.
  • cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member

Another one for me is for when I eat chicken wings. I CLEAN them. Like to the bone. Crunchy bits and all. I don't always do that around others, as the crunching is a bit... off putting

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that does this!
  • sarcasticarse
    sarcasticarse Posts: 59 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I..... Peel and Eat.... Whole Eggs :)

GASP! *clutchespearlsandfansself*

Yeap. I am weird like that. Not just egg whites. Whole damn egg and proud of it :) lol

Thats the healthy way of eating them :-)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Lemon juice and granulated sugar on pancakes

Salsa on eggs

Vegemite, lettuce and mayonnaise sandwiches

Orange juice on my cereal instead of milk

This is how I was brought up to eat pancakes/crepes, and a common topping at creperies..it's delicious!

I love it and never thought it was weird until I went to the USA and everyone freaked out!

Haha.... Perhaps they are the weird ones :)

My European friends freaked out at Fairy Bread. They couldn't understand the amazingness of 100s & 1000s on buttered white bread! :p

Haahaa yeah, no one really gets fairy bread but us.
    I love fairy bread. Sprinkles don't taste the same here in Canada.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    When I was a kid I used to slather mayo on a slice of bologna and roll it up and eat it. Occasionally with a Kraft single and/or dill pickles. I also used to eat raw hot dogs.

My Grandfather used to put Jello in his coffee. Yes, on purpose.
  • widgit808
    widgit808 Posts: 193 Member
    Current status...Toasted spinach bagel with butter, truffle zest, pb2, provolone and fresh mint leaves...weird to the nth.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    If my fruit was stored in the fridge, I'll microwave it for a few seconds to get it to room temperature. I can't stand cold fruit (especially pineapple).
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    melwee wrote: »
    I knew someone who ate kiwis with the skin on, like it was a peach.

but . . . but . . . . O_O O_O

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    I have a vivid childhood memory of my mother dry heaving when I mixed the mashed potatoes, gravy, chicken, and peas together on my plate once.

LOL

I used to do this at grandmas place (only place I had peas, because mum hates them), and the same reaction. In an instant, grandma came back from the oven, sat down and did the same thing. She always did. That's where I learned it. And then she looked up in mums face all "what?" Fond memories. My grandma still is awesome.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    If my fruit was stored in the fridge, I'll microwave it for a few seconds to get it to room temperature. I can't stand cold fruit (especially pineapple).

I'm the opposite... I don't like it room temp! I prefer most things slightly frozen (especially pineapple!)
    The trick of putting portions of treats in the freezer doesn't work for me as I'm more likely to eat them frozen :p
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I eat plain white rice mixed with plain yogurt into a slop and I love it. My friend thinks I need to grow up (that's one of the things people feed babies around here).

I have to make all of my pasta and pizza sauces because I can't do any sauce that has sugar in it, and the jarred varieties almost always do. My taste buds rebel when I detect sweetness in what I consider to be a savory food. The only exception is ketchup. The other way around is alright, I can have sweet foods mixed with savory things like watermelon and feta.

I like to eat chips with a glass of buttermilk.

I like soggy cereal, and when I was a kid I used to sprinkle bread with sugar and drown it with milk. I still like it but I can't do that now because it uses too much bread to be worth the calories.

When I was a kid I used to make butter and salt or butter and sugar sandwiches with nothing else. I still make single ingredient sandwiches, like a sandwich with just cheese or just luncheon. During lent I made sandwiches with just tomato slices sprinkled with salt.
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    I am the opposite to a couple of people on here and I ALWAYS eat the crust first on a pizza. Also the crusts first on sandwiches like someone else. In general, I will always eat the least appetising thing first and work through to tastiest, and I get really conflicted when I can't decide which is the most delicious.

Yes, yes and yes! Get rid of the crusts and enjoy the best bits!

Generally with meals I like to mix it together, as a pp said. That's why I love lasagna and curry and other one pot dishes. Say it's a Sunday roast, I will put a bit of everything on my fork.. but I will make sure I have finished the veg first (even the ones I like are not as good as the rest of the dinner) and my last couple of mouthfuls are just meat, potato and yorkshire pudding. Bangers and mash - sausages will get cut up and mixed with the mash (and spaghetti hoops usually) - man I am hungry for some good old mums cooking now!

Someone else said about crisps (chips) in sandwiches...not weird at all. Salt and vinegar in marmite sandwiches are my favourite.
  • eahrenee
    eahrenee Posts: 157 Member
    Cottage cheese on buttered egg noodles with a little salt and pepper.

When I was a teeager, I loved Miracle whip and veggie sandwiches, or just miracle whip if we didn't have any veggies.

Ritz crackers dipped in sour cream...

I'm sure there is more...
  • eahrenee
    eahrenee Posts: 157 Member
    I ised the eat Reese's by using my tounhe to eat a hole int the center, and then eat the outside.

When I was little, dipping my bologna sandwich in my koolaid was the best!
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    I do all the food not touching/taking things apart stuff. When we were little we'd take graham crackers and dip them in red koolaid until they were soggy. Then you take the cracker out and suck the koolaid out of it and eat the cracker mush. Usually we'd toss the remaining crumby koolaid.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member

When I was a kid I used to make butter and salt or butter and sugar sandwiches with nothing else. I still make single ingredient sandwiches, like a sandwich with just cheese or just luncheon. During lent I made sandwiches with just tomato slices sprinkled with salt.

Butter and salt is awesome. Or butter and pepper. Or... thinly spread mayonnaise and pepper. Or thinly spread mustard and not much else.
  • HayItsRenee
    HayItsRenee Posts: 46 Member
    I put sriracha on nearly everything.
    If I buy a wrap, I'll cut it up and eat the veggies and maybe a piece of the wrap part.
    I like mixing hot chocolate mix with coffee.
    I can drink any temperature coffee and most foods cold.
    I like soggy foods and soggy oatmeal with water.
    Soy sauce is good with almost anything lol