Worth it...Shmurfit...
    Wait, I got it!

SMURF IT!

I learned that when I was about 10!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    So... OP.

You have a bunch of women telling you that their nutritional data accords with what *da-dum* Science *tish* says should happen. I dont think it's reasonable to think we're all mistaken.

You, presumably, would like to eat more. If you trust your logging and your results, then you should see a doctor again and up your exercise. I'm not saying the latter will be easy, but sometimes the easy option doesn't exist.

Set an alarm, and go for a short walk every hour. Start skipping indoors where it's cool, after work, to ridiculous dance music. Sit on a stability ball to watch TV. Do leg exercises under the desk. Dance and bounce around like a March hare as you prepare food. In a word, fidget.
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how tall you are? Is it possible that you are already within a healthy weight range? It's harder to lose when there's not much to lose, and it sounds like your thyroid probably does contribute, even if you're not technically hypothyroid.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    texteach66 wrote: »
    I'm curious how tall you are? Is it possible that you are already within a healthy weight range? It's harder to lose when there's not much to lose, and it sounds like your thyroid probably does contribute, even if you're not technically hypothyroid.

She is 5'4"
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    57 here. And I maintain at 1800 calories.

55 later this month. At my current activity level, I'd maintain at around 2200.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well I just wanted to say that seeing all these posts from women in their 40s and 50s who are eating over 2000 per day is inspirational! My maintenance hovers around 1700 but i know I'm a lazy *kitten*. I can do more and I could eat a little better, and based on all these posts I can move that number up! Before I found mfp, I totally believed that you had to eat nothing but salads and take supplements after 35 lol. :flowerforyou:
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Someone claiming to eat less than 1200 calories per day?
    Who is also getting upset and tetchy because people are trying to help her but not telling her what she wants to hear?

Thread closing in 3...2...1...?

Threads with argumentative, non-receptive OPs are my favorite entertainment threads. Where'd she go??

200.gif#2-grid1
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    JAT74 wrote: »
    On the first point, most of what I eat is natural food made from scratch, very few packaged foods (maybe one item, once a week). I also weigh the scoop size it recommends on the protein powder box so I know what is an accurate portion. Any other ingredients I add (like skimmed milk, half a small banana etc) get weighed/measured.

2nd point - great to hear there are people out there who can eat loads or eat high cal food and still look great. Not convinced there isn't something else going on there ie. a hidden eating disorder or skipped meals when not in company etc. Nobody can be sure.

3rd point, as I said before, there are bound to be people with a fast metabolism for whatever reason and carrying very little fat/a high % of muscle who can eat a lot and maintain.

I had an under desk cycle, was pretty poor! Once it starts to cool down again in September I'll start upping my walking again and by that point I should be able to lift heavier weights so I'm hoping that will speed things up.

Wow. I eat 2200 calories to maintain and 1700-1800 when I want to lose. Did you just accuse everyone who can eat more than 1000 calories of having a hidden eating disorder or flatout lying to you right now?
    Keep your cool. You're an MFP veteran, and this kind of attitude is pretty common.

TBH, I think this is one of those gender differences in dieting- women are more likely to have been brought up to see eating like a bird in public as necessary and to worry about being thought of as 'greedy'.

The OP has been here since 2013 so not exactly a newbie.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Someone claiming to eat less than 1200 calories per day?
    Who is also getting upset and tetchy because people are trying to help her but not telling her what she wants to hear?

Thread closing in 3...2...1...?

Threads with argumentative, non-receptive OPs are my favorite entertainment threads. Where'd she go??

200.gif#2-grid1

Rage quit?
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    All in all, I think your perception of 'very active' is off. Could this be contributing to your slower-than-desired progress?

Consider also, that you're not spending a whole week, as in 24/7, in company with several very active women who aren't dieting, to see what very active women at healthy weights eat over the course of an average week.

This is what I was going to say. We must have differing definitions of "active". Particularly saying that she knows very active women who show no real muscle, but are thin. They aren't interested in fitness and health (and certainly not strength); they're interested in being skinny.
  • accidentalpancake
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm thinking maybe you are underestimating what "very active" is...

The women I know who eat like birdies aren't really trying to be fit...they're trying to be skinny.

Didn't mean to piggyback there... Just saw that you posted pretty much the same thing I did.
  • accidentalpancake
    Options
    JAT74 wrote: »
    2nd point - great to hear there are people out there who can eat loads or eat high cal food and still look great. Not convinced there isn't something else going on there ie. a hidden eating disorder or skipped meals when not in company etc. Nobody can be sure.

This is so incredibly relative to the individual, however. My maintenance is north of 3000kcal, but I'm a big guy. I like to stay around 215-225, and I'm active. Even if I'm sitting around gathering dust, my daily energy needs and eating might seem like "eating loads", when it's really just me eating what I'm supposed to to maintain.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    OP you also mentioned about metabolism. it all has to do with your height,weight,age,activity level.lean mass % and so on.someone with say your same stats who maybe more active will burn more calories so they can eat more.if someone is younger than you but is your height and weight and active like you may lose weight faster. everyone is different and everyones BMR(what your body burns to function without exercise IE-in a coma) is different also.

I was thin all my life until I stopped being as active and started eating more calories and stopped one of my meds that boosted my metabolism a bit.after that the weight started piling on. The point is never compare yourself to others including with weight loss. and if you have eaten any period of times very low calories then its possible you have adaptive thermogenesis .and if you try to eat more of course you will gain but its usually only for a short time. you may need to take a diet break if you have been eating low calories for more than 6 months without a break,. it can help with your hormones too. most recommend having a diet break 2 weeks out of every few months.

you can try taking a break and then get back to it or have tests run. its your call. But anytime you up; calories,you will gain but it doesnt mean fat gain.you can also try being a bit more active when you can. there are several things you can do and try if you cant afford tests being done.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    This pretty much sums up this whole debate
    https://youtu.be/5Ua-WVg1SsA

This is great. <3