Paleo vs Plant based vs low calorie?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    JAT74 wrote: »
    On the first point, most of what I eat is natural food made from scratch, very few packaged foods (maybe one item, once a week). I also weigh the scoop size it recommends on the protein powder box so I know what is an accurate portion. Any other ingredients I add (like skimmed milk, half a small banana etc) get weighed/measured.

2nd point - great to hear there are people out there who can eat loads or eat high cal food and still look great. Not convinced there isn't something else going on there ie. a hidden eating disorder or skipped meals when not in company etc. Nobody can be sure.

3rd point, as I said before, there are bound to be people with a fast metabolism for whatever reason and carrying very little fat/a high % of muscle who can eat a lot and maintain.

I had an under desk cycle, was pretty poor! Once it starts to cool down again in September I'll start upping my walking again and by that point I should be able to lift heavier weights so I'm hoping that will speed things up.

I think the people you know are just trying to be skinny...not fit. The fitness ladies in my life, including my wife eat and train...they lift, they run, they cycle, etc...they eat and train. These ladies have muscles...to have muscles, you have to feed them...1200-1500 calories per day isn't feeding *kitten* beyond baseline energy requirements...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm sedantary because of health reasons and can only walk as exercise but spend a lot of time in bed and I'm maintaining (and actually losing a bit) a bmi 18.7 (I lost 10 lbs post surgery and haven't gained it back) at around 1500-1600 (I don't track but I'm definitely not restricting)
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    On the first point, most of what I eat is natural food made from scratch, very few packaged foods (maybe one item, once a week). I also weigh the scoop size it recommends on the protein powder box so I know what is an accurate portion. Any other ingredients I add (like skimmed milk, half a small banana etc) get weighed/measured.

2nd point - great to hear there are people out there who can eat loads or eat high cal food and still look great. Not convinced there isn't something else going on there ie. a hidden eating disorder or skipped meals when not in company etc. Nobody can be sure.

3rd point, as I said before, there are bound to be people with a fast metabolism for whatever reason and carrying very little fat/a high % of muscle who can eat a lot and maintain.

I had an under desk cycle, was pretty poor! Once it starts to cool down again in September I'll start upping my walking again and by that point I should be able to lift heavier weights so I'm hoping that will speed things up.

Wow. I eat 2200 calories to maintain and 1700-1800 when I want to lose. Did you just accuse everyone who can eat more than 1000 calories of having a hidden eating disorder or flatout lying to you right now?
    Keep your cool. You're an MFP veteran, and this kind of attitude is pretty common.

TBH, I think this is one of those gender differences in dieting- women are more likely to have been brought up to see eating like a bird in public as necessary and to worry about being thought of as 'greedy'.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

I remember when almost everyone I know followed Weight Watchers a few years ago because they could eat what they wanted as long as it fell within their points allowance. That to me doesn't make sense. Not only are you going to end up hungry (because generally people will choose the unhealthy option however small the portion) but also because it's not good for your health.

I don't like any kind of extreme belief system, and that's why I was curious what others thought of Plant based, but some of it does make sense like cutting down on meat and eating more fruit and veg. The same goes for Paleo etc.

Personally I do care about my health and want to do the best so I'm healthier in later life but weight loss is my current goal so I want to find a way of eating that incorporates both.

Speaking for myself, there are plenty of options and in the context of a balanced diet, I can fit in some indulgences. In other words, my diet includes Greek yogurt, fruits and veggies, split pea dahl, sweet potatoes, chickpeas with lentils, and edamame. It also includes bread, pasta, white rice, potatoes, Gardein, veggie dogs, and other options that tend to get demonized more frequently by various diet gurus. And then there's upside-down peach cake, meringues, an occasional homemade chocolate truffle, and potato kugel.

Do I choose healthy options? Mostly. Do I eat what I want within my calories? Heck, yeah. And a lot of that is nutrient-dense and satiating. And what isn't? Still fits. Nothing wrong with a few indulgences. I care about my health. And I care about safe, sustainable weight-loss. And that means sometimes choosing something more calorie dense in a controlled amount, without feeling like I'm cheating, without feeling guilty, and without stressing. I keep my home-baked desserts to 200 calories/serving or less, but I'm not sure anyone would call my 30-calorie meringues "healthy". Low-cal, sure. But that's not necessarily the same thing.

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm sedantary because of health reasons and can only walk as exercise but spend a lot of time in bed and I'm maintaining (and actually losing a bit) a bmi 18.7 (I lost 10 lbs post surgery and haven't gained it back) at around 1500-1600 (I don't track but I'm definitely not restricting)

I maintain between 1,600-1,700 and don't do any intentional exercise at all. Current bmi is right around a 20, 38 years old, (will be 39 next month), stay at home mom who's very fond of sitting on my bum as much as possible playing on MFP or reading :#
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I maintain between 1,600-1,700 and don't do any intentional exercise at all. Current bmi is right around a 20, 38 years old, (will be 39 next month), stay at home mom who's very fond of sitting on my bum as much as possible playing on MFP or reading :#

Oh I should have added I am 41
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

Oh I should have added I am 41

That puts us very much in-line with each other, factoring in the slight age difference. We both must be special freaks of nature :D
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    45 here!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    57 here. And I maintain at 1800 calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm in my mid-50's and I maintain on about 2000 calories a day, which is the average usually used for women to maintain their weight (at 5'6" I'm average height).
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Someone claiming to eat less than 1200 calories per day?
    Who is also getting upset and tetchy because people are trying to help her but not telling her what she wants to hear?

Thread closing in 3...2...1...?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Someone claiming to less than 1200 calories per day?
    Who is also getting upset and tetchy because people are trying to help her but not telling her what she wants to hear?

Thread closing in 3...2...1...?
    So, I'm not the only one who hears the de ja vu music? Ossom!