All of my friends are getting bigger............

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't owe anyone "thin" or "fit" or "pretty". I am my own human being and if I get married and gain weight then I don't "owe" it to my spouse to lose that weight. If he doesn't like it and it becomes a deal-breaker for him, then that is that - he is also his own human being and gets to determine the terms of his own life. If we have a discussion and I decide to lose weight, I'd do it for my own goddamned self, not because he wants me to.

I freakin hate the term "let herself go", like she *kitten* owed anyone anything. Because we are only talking about looks, here. And women (and men!) do not owe anyone any kind of aesthetic.

To a point it's only about looks. But if the weight gain continues at some point it will also become about health. And that's a big one. Expecting someone who loves you to sit by quietly while you knowingly ruin your healthy is a big expectation.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

I don’t see the point in surrounding yourself with people who aren’t candid – that sounds more like acquaintances than friends.

A true friend knows when to be candid and when to keep their mouth shut . . . just like a true lover would. They know you so well that they can tell when their criticism will be welcome and when it will do more harm than good. Someone who is just an acquaintance will shoot their mouth off with no regard for you.

I haven't found life to be so neatly black and white that I know for certain whether to have a talk with a friend about an issue or to just let things go. I would rather a friend engage me in an uncomfortable conversation today than having a related uncomfortable conversation at some point in the future with a doctor, lawyer, financial planner, my supervisor, etc...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I don’t see the point in surrounding yourself with people who aren’t candid – that sounds more like acquaintances than friends.

A true friend knows when to be candid and when to keep their mouth shut . . . just like a true lover would. They know you so well that they can tell when their criticism will be welcome and when it will do more harm than good. Someone who is just an acquaintance will shoot their mouth off with no regard for you.

I haven't found life to be so neatly black and white that I know for certain whether to have a talk with a friend about an issue or to just let things go. I would rather a friend engage me in an uncomfortable conversation today than having a related uncomfortable conversation at some point in the future with a doctor, lawyer, financial planner, my supervisor, etc...

I'm firmly on team 'don't bring it up unless they ask' because they know. No adult gains weight and doesn't know it. Your clothes get tight, you have to let your belt out a notch, etc. If they want advice they'll ask is my motto.

That said, my husband and his male friends have no problem telling each other about weight gain.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

I'm firmly on team 'don't bring it up unless they ask' because they know. No adult gains weight and doesn't know it. Your clothes get tight, you have to let your belt out a notch, etc. If they want advice they'll ask is my motto.

That said, my husband and his male friends have no problem telling each other about weight gain.

I have to wonder, given the drift in this conversation, if this is something that men and women are fundamentally different about (generally speaking, there are bound to be exceptions).

I find the idea that there's only one right way to be a friend possibly the strangest things I've read in this thread, and there's been a lot of strangeness.

Being a good friend means knowing what your particular friends are like, knowing their personalities and relating to each other within the parameters dictated by decency, mutual respect, and an intuitive understanding of each other. To suggest that a uniform set of standards should apply to all friendships outside of the context of individual, unique relationships is baffling to me.

Well said, I was thinking the same thing. It's not all black and white.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    @jospen83 your shirt had me laughing out loud IRL! Co-workers wondered what was so funny :D

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    @jospen83 your shirt had me laughing out loud IRL! Co-workers wondered what was so funny :D

#teampluto

• MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

And I just choked on my coffee reading it :D
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    No idea if this is even still the conversation i got tired of reading the fights lol. But my thoughts...

I have noticed that on a third/fourth date im much more willing to eat tons (And im plenty happy on a first date to mow down, But for sake of the conversation i am more comfortable doing it)

So I imagine finding someone who loves you could easily lead to more dates out and comfort eating watching tv together and stuff like my exs family bringing me cake and chocolate on my birthday. So more people= more food and more comfort knowing someone loves you could lead to gain. For sure.

Partly why im not kind of a picky *kitten* when dating. I dont want to be this girl but when i meet people i make it clear im active and i want someone also working on being active and fit. I feel judgemental but to me its important not to backtrack, And its VERY easy to do if you get comfortable with someone who tends to overeat or not care. I work hard, Id just like someone who has the same priorities.

Iv found men who are totally down for meeting and having coffee/long walks, Who then turn around and ruin it thinking its funny to try and tempt me relentlessly to "cheat" and go get drinks and a big greasy dinner and dessert. Which im down for but if thats your idea for a first date and clearly find tempting me when i say no thanks funny i see you as someone who will be bad for me long term and tend to move on. Sorry not really sorry.

Not even sure im making any sense to the conversation, My point is yes its easy to backtrack and slip into being totally comfortable putting weight on. Especially with a partner by your side loving you no matter what, And complimenting you often. I actively seek people who i wont do that with. Not everyone does, And if you fall in love your in love. Its great and no judgement. Life happens. Id just like to avoid the temptation, Sort of like an ex smoker dating a smoker. Or walking your butt into a delicious smelling bakery daily just to look. You know its bad news for you, But cant always avoid the temptation forever. Best to try and minimize it before it starts sometimes lol
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

#teampluto

Yeeesss
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    KelseyRL wrote: »
    I once read that statistically, women are very likely to put on weight after the start of a long-term relationship. Wherever it was claimed it was because it comes naturally to someone dishing up food to give both adults exactly the same size of portion.

No idea if this is true, but it's interesting.

This might be slightly off topic, but is it always the case that men and women can't have the same serving size? My husband and are with an inch of each other for height (5' 9"/5' 10") and although he's is slightly broader than I in the shoulders, it's not much. I can wear his shirts around the house and the shoulder of them is only slightly below my natural shoulder. So I guess I'm asking if a man and woman happened to be the same height/build, would the woman still need less just because of being a woman? Or is just that men are usually larger than women?

Because men have higher muscle mass, yes, men will always be able to eat more, unless you happen to be considerably larger than the man. Given a woman and man of the same size, the man is biologically designed to have more muscle per pound, while the woman will have more fat, so the man can eat more.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It's natural to want to help them out and to see the light...but none of my business really. It hurts to see them destroy their health with bad choices but I was there once. But as another mentioned, I don't know their possible medical situations so I should not judge. I'm a work in progress!
  • yung_baller_86
    yung_baller_86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I once read that statistically, women are very likely to put on weight after the start of a long-term relationship. Wherever it was claimed it was because it comes naturally to someone dishing up food to give both adults exactly the same size of portion.

No idea if this is true, but it's interesting.

This has happened to me twice, but was easily stopped when i realized portion sizes for men and women simply can't be the same (even if i want them to). :pensive:

me too! :( first two boyfriends i put on quite a bit of weight over the years. did it again the 3rd time just last year... and right now im working it off! the difference this time is im losing the weight the right way, and my boyfriend is super supportive with cooking healthy stuff and not suggesting junk food like the first 2.

relationship weight, ugh, been there done that!
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    [/quote] Sometimes I intend to do some yoga after an hour of TV but get sucked into that cuddling vortex.[/quote]

I've lost many workout hours because of the damnable cuddle vortex!!!