All of my friends are getting bigger............

Options

Replies

• PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I once read that statistically, women are very likely to put on weight after the start of a long-term relationship. Wherever it was claimed it was because it comes naturally to someone dishing up food to give both adults exactly the same size of portion.

No idea if this is true, but it's interesting.

This isn't totally true. I've been dating the same guy for a year and lost 15 lbs. We got each other Fitbits for Valentine's. In retrospect, it's the complete opposite of the stereotypical V-day gifts. lol Keep in mind, my boyfriend is obese while I'm considered a "normal" weight.
    Anyway, this statement isn't completely true but I can see where comfort factors in. If it wasn't for my boyfriend's mom, I wouldn't have the determination I have now. We're both super health conscious while he's the complete opposite.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @WinoGelato you left out the part about the lasagna. My fave part of the thread. Cheers!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    KelseyRL wrote: »
    I once read that statistically, women are very likely to put on weight after the start of a long-term relationship. Wherever it was claimed it was because it comes naturally to someone dishing up food to give both adults exactly the same size of portion.

No idea if this is true, but it's interesting.

This might be slightly off topic, but is it always the case that men and women can't have the same serving size? My husband and are with an inch of each other for height (5' 9"/5' 10") and although he's is slightly broader than I in the shoulders, it's not much. I can wear his shirts around the house and the shoulder of them is only slightly below my natural shoulder. So I guess I'm asking if a man and woman happened to be the same height/build, would the woman still need less just because of being a woman? Or is just that men are usually larger than women?

Men typically have more muscle than women, even at comparable sizes, and greater muscle mass means more calories being burned. I'm not sure how significant the amounts are (or not).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I don't see how it is acceptable to "let yourself go" because you feel comfortable with someone and are no longer motivated to impress that person with your physical appearance (taking into account aging, babies, and medical conditions, of course). The shape that you were in when you committed to being in a relationship should be the baseline going forward.

What a load of tosh.

Your assumption that people gain weight because they 'let themselves go' is atrociously insulting!

So using a phrase like “letting themselves go” triggers an extremely intense feeling of being insulted? Lol, I hope you use a great deal of caution when viewing this forum and most online content, that is about as benign as it gets.

Feel free to advance an alternative theory as to why a lot of couples tend to put on weight after they get married (keeping in mind that I have already identified aging, babies, and medical conditions as foreseeable and often unavoidable causes.)

Why are aging and babies valid reasons to become overweight IYO but other life changes are not?

For example?

Job change, moving, ill/death of parent/child/spouse, loss of income, natural disaster, ...

If significant stressful life events cause you to respond with the long term abuse of some substance (food, alcohol, drugs, etc.), then you have a psychological medical condition that you need professional help with.

So now gaining weight = substance abuse = psychological condition requiring medical help?

Wow.

But isn't it at some point? If someone is eating to soothe some psychological condition and said eating results in a 50 or 100+ pound weight gain (impacting their health), doesn't one need to treat the psychological condition or their will be virtually no hope in treating the medical condition (obesity)?

Do you believe that anyone who is overweight is eating to soothe a psychological condition?

Of course not everyone. Most likely a fair portion though.

This study suggests over 80% of overweight/obese Australians are eating emotionally.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-18/emotional-eating-fuelling-australias-obesity-epidemic/7175204
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm 99% sure that they know. It's just their personal choice to do anything about it or not. I noticed this is a trend in college, not because of a lack of caring, but because of a change in situation. A lot of high school athletes no longer have time to do their sport in college, reducing their activity level. A lot of people take tons of classes are barely have time to do anything but study/class, resulting in a sedentary activity level. Drinking is also a factor I've noticed. A few of my friends binge drink, almost seemingly forgetting that alcohol does have calories. (Aka a big factor of the 'freshman 15'). It's not that they don't care, (well, maybe to some) but a lot of it is because it's new and they're figuring things out. Some people just catch it sooner than others, and some may even be okay with a few extra pounds. But bottom line, no one deserves to have it pointed out because they put on their pants every day. And by that, I mean they notice the change in fit, shape, etc. The decisions from that point are all theirs; because the answers are out there and they can find them in a second.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »
    I don't see how it is acceptable to "let yourself go" because you feel comfortable with someone and are no longer motivated to impress that person with your physical appearance (taking into account aging, babies, and medical conditions, of course). The shape that you were in when you committed to being in a relationship should be the baseline going forward.

What a load of tosh.

Your assumption that people gain weight because they 'let themselves go' is atrociously insulting!

So using a phrase like “letting themselves go” triggers an extremely intense feeling of being insulted? Lol, I hope you use a great deal of caution when viewing this forum and most online content, that is about as benign as it gets.

Feel free to advance an alternative theory as to why a lot of couples tend to put on weight after they get married (keeping in mind that I have already identified aging, babies, and medical conditions as foreseeable and often unavoidable causes.)

Why are aging and babies valid reasons to become overweight IYO but other life changes are not?

For example?

Our (US/western) culture, along with a slew of well-marketed, atrocious diet & fitness advice, plays a pretty substantial role in why people are overweight, generally speaking. I hope you're considering this within your conservative permissions of acceptable weight gain.

We are specifically referencing weight gain following marriage, not in general.

In that case, I would argue post-marriage/committed relationship weight gain occurs unintentionally. And people don't realize it's occurring until it's already happened. Kinda like this:
    I was not even aware of the reality of any of this until we were no longer together

At which point general cultural issues, along with well-marketed, atrocious diet & fitness advice, plays a pretty substantial role in why those people "let themselves go" & struggle to return to their pre-marriage/committed relationship baseline...along with aging, babies, increased responsibilities & lack of free-time, and all the other life changes that contribute to poor eating choices & decreased activity.

Don't get me wrong - I actually agreed with your initial comments regarding conversations with (true) friends about health concerns (excessive smoking, drinking, eating). And I agree that it's entirely within the control of the individual to lose weight, in the vast majority of cases. What I disagree with is the idea that people commit to a relationship and then consciously decide to say 'eff it' and let themselves go. As you described in your own relationship, it's quite unconsciously done.

Being oblivious of something that doesn't excuse it. I got very comfortable and quit caring about my appearance and that is not acceptable to me. Everyone around me was too nice, I wish someone would have just said "dude, you seem to have put on a few pounds since she moved in" instead of pretending it wasn't happening.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

What a load of tosh.

For example?

Our (US/western) culture, along with a slew of well-marketed, atrocious diet & fitness advice, plays a pretty substantial role in why people are overweight, generally speaking. I hope you're considering this within your conservative permissions of acceptable weight gain.

We are specifically referencing weight gain following marriage, not in general.

In that case, I would argue post-marriage/committed relationship weight gain occurs unintentionally. And people don't realize it's occurring until it's already happened. Kinda like this:
    I was not even aware of the reality of any of this until we were no longer together

At which point general cultural issues, along with well-marketed, atrocious diet & fitness advice, plays a pretty substantial role in why those people "let themselves go" & struggle to return to their pre-marriage/committed relationship baseline...along with aging, babies, increased responsibilities & lack of free-time, and all the other life changes that contribute to poor eating choices & decreased activity.

Don't get me wrong - I actually agreed with your initial comments regarding conversations with (true) friends about health concerns (excessive smoking, drinking, eating). And I agree that it's entirely within the control of the individual to lose weight, in the vast majority of cases. What I disagree with is the idea that people commit to a relationship and then consciously decide to say 'eff it' and let themselves go. As you described in your own relationship, it's quite unconsciously done.

Being oblivious of something that doesn't excuse it. I got very comfortable and quit caring about my appearance and that is not acceptable to me. Everyone around me was too nice, I wish someone would have just said "dude, you seem to have put on a few pounds since she moved in" instead of pretending it wasn't happening.

Sooo... other people should have taken responsibility for you, because you weren't taking it for yourself?

Absolutely not, it was my problem. That statement was a rebuttal to the people who think that "mind your own business" is the preferred approach to friendship, when in reality, it tends to just enable bad habits and situations.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I am appreciating my husband more and more and more and this thread continues. I am such a lucky lady!!

Ah, a silver lining to this thread I enjoy reading while I sip on wine. Kudos to you!