lose 200lbs in less then a year ?

Options

Replies

• jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sorry I misunderstood and didn't read through the pages. I fell behind on your story! Though I did find your weight loss and congrats! The weight I loss on my own before surgery I averaged 12 pounds a month. You are doing great! Don't lower your calories to fast or to much I did that and my weight loss went to a stand still. I've even done that with surgery being overly aggressive and my body has stalled again. Good luck hats off to you!
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    jjtweb wrote: »
    That is very typical for bariatric surgery. They like you to lose 10% of your weight. The loss will help your liver to shrink some which makes the surgery easier and possible in heavier patients. They also use it to guage the commitment you can put towards such a drastic surgery and change of life. BJ I am six weeks out from a bariatric surgery and the more you can lose before surgery the better it will be for you. Transition to eating more meat and the carbs you get should be from vegetables and fruits. Also after you have the surgery that is how you will be eating. Protein first then to balance the meal with vegetables and fruits.

yep. Also, when you start losing weight the very first fat to go is the fat packed around your organs, inside your body. I saw a really good study once where they looked at the livers of different people. They showed that the liver of somebody who started at like 300 pounds and then lost 25 pounds, bringing them to a still large 275, had the same fat content as somebody that was consistently at like 180 and a healthy body fat percentage.

This is an evolutionary feature of the human body. We quickly store fat around our organs to protect them in times of famine, and then equally quickly metabolize it when it's needed. This is one of the biggest reason so many people complain about not looking any different or losing clothing sizes early in a diet even though they've already lost 5, 10, or 15 pounds.

If you're going in for surgery, your doc will want you to diet hard to make your body burn up the fat around your organs fore going in.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Losing 50# in 2 months requires medical supervision, which the doctor is arranging for you. Just relax, continue with your current plan (which is working for you. Yay!) until you see the dietitian. Keep us posted on what he/she tells you.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If it will help you get to and through your surgery, it's not out of the question. Your situation is very specific to you. It sucks because doctors aren't the biggest help. Kinda like when the gym teacher would tell the class to get on the court and play basketball, but never actually taught us how to play.

I saw you're being set up with a dietitian. The best thing to do in the meantime is probably just what you've been doing until you can get in to see them, and probably try to do the low carb diet your doc suggested (though sometimes they reccommend low carb for seemingly no good reason at all). You really need professional guidance with this. You don't want to cut your calories too deep without a good solid grasp on meeting your nutritional needs.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    bjcrewe wrote: »
    Hay guys i doing to need some advice doctor told me today that i have to lose 50lbs or more in 2 months so i am that i can get surgery that i really needs that he would like to do as soon as tomorrow but its to high risk and needs to lose 50lbs. So he said i need to cut out carbs like almost altogether.

Anyone have any meal ideas low on carbs and high in protein?

Proteins include meats (you'll want leaner cuts). I don't know what popular meats are in your area, but chicken, beef, lamb, fish, shrimp etc, etc. Eggs are good. Two whole eggs, and then several egg whites to make a scramble or omelette. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese. Bone broth is like 7 grams of protein for 30 calories, in one cup.

Plan your meal around the protein. Add a big side of veggies.

Steer clear of starches - noodles, breads, etc.

Can you commit to 60 days of a pretty restrictive diet? It's gonna be hard.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options
    Yeah, low carb plans are all over the internet, so Google some different plans.

I'd say go back over your past few weeks of Food page here and look at what you've been eating. Eliminate cereals, breads, crackers, rice, pasta, pizza, chips, sweet things like cookies etc. Keep fruit to one or two servings per day, one or two servings of milk/dairy.

When I do lower carbs I eat eggs, animals, and vegetables and fats. Lots of vegetables.
  • bjcrewe
    bjcrewe Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hay guys i doing to need some advice doctor told me today that i have to lose 50lbs or more in 2 months so i am that i can get surgery that i really needs that he would like to do as soon as tomorrow but its to high risk and needs to lose 50lbs. So he said i need to cut out carbs like almost altogether.

Proteins include meats (you'll want leaner cuts). I don't know what popular meats are in your area, but chicken, beef, lamb, fish, shrimp etc, etc. Eggs are good. Two whole eggs, and then several egg whites to make a scramble or omelette. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese. Bone broth is like 7 grams of protein for 30 calories, in one cup.

Its not if i can commit, its i have to, hardor not it had to be done.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Its not if i can commit, its i have to, hardor not it had to be done.

I understand that. It's only 60 days, then you can be less restrictive (but stay within calorie goals ;) ). I believe you can do it!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    So on top of everything else we are now having to move for the first off December. This is good for burning calories but i hate moving so much packing. But whoot calorie burn.

Ooh, I'm with you. Moving sucks. But you are right, extra calorie burn bonus!
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yep tell me about it but it said its fine and will be ok i even tryed to tell him it's unhealthy to lose more then 2 lbs a weeks with out doctors supervision but he said it is fine for me to do this.

That doctor doesn't seem like he has much feeling for what you're going through. If he feels that way, then would you be able to insist that he give you a way to **safely** accomplish that? (I think I remember you said earlier that your doctors are not providing any help for weight loss, yes?) His just telling you "go do it" sounds like the same. And if he can't be more help than it may be time for an opinion from a second doctor.

Realize I am not critizicing you, but this dolt of a doctor. You keep fighting for you, you're learning a lot and getting it done!!

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    The sergery is to remove my tyroides and parathyroids and the tumors on them. Not a bypass surgery.

I had a thyroidectomy in 2000, but they left the parathyroid. I'm on Synthroid now and will be forever. Personally have experienced no side effects from this.
  • bjcrewe
    Options
    Yep tell me about it but it said its fine and will be ok i even tryed to tell him it's unhealthy to lose more then 2 lbs a weeks with out doctors supervision but he said it is fine for me to do this.

That doctor doesn't seem like he has much feeling for what you're going through. If he feels that way, then would you be able to insist that he give you a way to **safely** accomplish that? (I think I remember you said earlier that your doctors are not providing any help for weight loss, yes?) His just telling you "go do it" sounds like the same. And if he can't be more help than it may be time for an opinion from a second doctor.

Realize I am not critizicing you, but this dolt of a doctor. You keep fighting for you, you're learning a lot and getting it done!!

He is the best in his field in newfoundland and i do believe canada for that matter a second option would not make much difference when other doctors refers to him.
  • bjcrewe
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The sergery is to remove my tyroides and parathyroids and the tumors on them. Not a bypass surgery.

I had a thyroidectomy in 2000, but they left the parathyroid. I'm on Synthroid now and will be forever. Personally have experienced no side effects from this.

They are taking all of mine and putting a implant in my arm. With me having m.e.n 1 and having 2 tumors on my tyroides and its a 75% chance that they are cancer due to the m.e.n.1
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    So on top of everything else we are now having to move for the first off December. This is good for burning calories but i hate moving so much packing. But whoot calorie burn.

This is a great attitude to have :)
    Moving is the worst, packing sucks, but YES for movement and calories burnt!!

An easy protein I like to make are mini turkey patties - take a pound of ground turkey, mix in some fresh chopped basil, minced garlic (or garlic powder), a bit of salt, black pepper to taste, and a bit of mustard. I form it into 4 patties, 4 ounces each, and fry them up on a skillet. 120 calories for 1 ground breast patty, 160 for ground 'whole' turkey patty. They store well, reheat well, and aren't too bad cold either. I usually dip them in mustard.

Hard boiled eggs are good too, they take little effort and are easy to grab and go.

It sounds like you've got a lot going on right now, simple is good.
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    He is the best in his field in newfoundland and i do believe canada for that matter a second option would not make much difference when other doctors refers to him.

Ah, well it is good then that you've got the best doctor. I had some surgery a long time ago when I was about your age and they said "this guy is the best" and it turned out he was...I haven't had a bit of trouble since!