lose 200lbs in less then a year ?

Options

Replies

• AlexisUPenn
    AlexisUPenn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It’s not impossible but not very common without help. Are you open to weight loss surgery? (Please do not take offense). I was closed to the idea myself for a very long time but it became harder and harder for me to lose weight without some help. Had gastric sleeve 6/2015 and do not regret it one bit.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    Based on previous postings, I believe some fiber in your diet and 25% more water might help move things along here.

I agree with David. More fiber. Have you ever eaten lentils? Quick, cheap, easy, tasty, and tons of fiber. Lots of recipes out there. What vegetables and fruit do you actually like to eat? If we know that, we can help with ideas on how to prepare them. You have to eat things that taste good, as well as being good for you. You've got this, but you need help, and we want to help you be successful.
  • Katherinelittle24
    Katherinelittle24 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi! I can relate in a way. I am 400lbs and it's difficult for me to walk for more than 15 minutes without my back hurting, or even just standing on my feet. Therefore, I decided to start a weight loss program through HMR (maybe you should think about looking it up). I started on Thursday and its difficult but it has really great results. It's expensive but it'll be worth it if it can help me jumpstart my weight loss. I am also doing it under Medical supervision so once a week, I will be going to group as well as seeing a doctor there just to check up on my labs, and see how I am doing overall. I also have a health coach that I can contact at anytime, whenever I'm struggling and just to give them a update. For some people, this diet is not ideal and it may be too extreme but for someone like us that is experiencing major health issues and is in so much pain, this kind of diet is worth checking into. You should think about checking it out yourself...the only suggestion I have is if you start this kind of diet, you should make sure that it is under medical supervision because this diet can cause complications, especially in people who are overly obese like us. Good luck!
  • bjcrewe
    bjcrewe Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    BJ,

I'm sure you must be frustrated with a 4 lb. gain; nonetheless, you are still doing great! As others have noted, it may not be a true weight gain. Alternately, it might be - time will tell.

Given your request for pointers, I took a peek at your diary. If the number of calories logged are accurate or close to what you actually consumed, you should be losing weight. Based on your entries, however, I'm wondering how close your logged vs. consumed calories actually are.

I noticed a couple of possible causes for discrepancies. For example, your diary includes generic entries for numerous foods. Did you get these entries from the MFP database? If so, it's quite possible that there is a significant difference between what you logged vs. what you ate. Examples include "wrap - tortilla" and "generic - caesar salad." I've seen low calorie wraps/tortillas that are only about 60 calories but I've also seen mega-sized wraps/tortillas that are 300 calories. Caesar salads come in a wide range of sizes for which the calorie counts will vary. Plus, it's unclear whether the salad dressing is included, or not, in that count and if so how much dressing is included in the count?

Another potential cause of discrepancy may be the many "quick add" items in your diary. What types of items are these and how are you determining their calorie level? I would recommend that you avoid "quick add" items whenever possible. Besides the possibility of your calories consumed being off target, you also lose accurate counting of your macronutrients. Given your doctor want you to eat lower carbs and fats but higher protein (if I recall correctly), complete and accurate counts on your macronutrients is important.

I hope these thoughts are helpful. Best wishes for your continued success!!

Everything i log has the calories on the labels to what i use on here quick adds are either something i cant find. I log calories as it tells me.
  • bjcrewe
    Options
    It’s not impossible but not very common without help. Are you open to weight loss surgery? (Please do not take offense). I was closed to the idea myself for a very long time but it became harder and harder for me to lose weight without some help. Had gastric sleeve 6/2015 and do not regret it one bit.

Open to weight loss surgery but not a candidate due to health issues.
  • bjcrewe
    Options
    Hi! I can relate in a way. I am 400lbs and it's difficult for me to walk for more than 15 minutes without my back hurting, or even just standing on my feet. Therefore, I decided to start a weight loss program through HMR (maybe you should think about looking it up). I started on Thursday and its difficult but it has really great results. It's expensive but it'll be worth it if it can help me jumpstart my weight loss. I am also doing it under Medical supervision so once a week, I will be going to group as well as seeing a doctor there just to check up on my labs, and see how I am doing overall. I also have a health coach that I can contact at anytime, whenever I'm struggling and just to give them a update. For some people, this diet is not ideal and it may be too extreme but for someone like us that is experiencing major health issues and is in so much pain, this kind of diet is worth checking into. You should think about checking it out yourself...the only suggestion I have is if you start this kind of diet, you should make sure that it is under medical supervision because this diet can cause complications, especially in people who are overly obese like us. Good luck!

What is the weight loss program called? I will look it up and give it a shot. I go for labs once every 2 weeks.

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    As someone who generally eats really low carb, I’ve learned a lesson or two about weight fluctuations.

For example, carbs retain more water in your body than protein and fat. If you eat a higher % of carbs one day than usual, you can bet that your weight will be “up” for a day or two, until your carb balance levels back out.

Personally, I know that if I eat over my normal carbs one day, I can guarantee that the next day I will weight heavier than the last. Every time, without fail. However, as long as I go back to my usual macro mix, that weight has vanished within a few days. If I go super low carb for a day or 2 after, it goes away faster.

It’s just water, not fat.

You had a day or 2 where you ate a lot of bread, so it’ll take a few days to even back out. But if you track it over long term, that gain won’t even register. If I look at my weight loss trend over the last 5 months it is almost completely linear, despite having a few carb binges.

Don’t worry.

This is why tracking macros is important. Your macro balance will impact your day-to-day weight fluctuations a lot, while calories is the sole determinant of your long term weight loss.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bjcrewe wrote: »
    So i got this "workout" i do when I'm watching tv (not sure if it helps or not but its something anyway. I put my feet on a small blanket and slides my legs out and back tell the muscle in my legs burn. I dont no what it would count under so i dont log it if i knew what i could label it as i would.

Every little bit helps. When you say your legs burn, where? Front of thighs, back of thighs, calves? What does it do to your heart rate?
  • bjcrewe
    Options
    maryannprt wrote: »
    So i got this "workout" i do when I'm watching tv (not sure if it helps or not but its something anyway. I put my feet on a small blanket and slides my legs out and back tell the muscle in my legs burn. I dont no what it would count under so i dont log it if i knew what i could label it as i would.

Every little bit helps. When you say your legs burn, where? Front of thighs, back of thighs, calves? What does it do to your heart rate?

Back of legs, my heart rate gose up a bit(needs to get new batteries for my heart rate watch).

I have a few more workouts i do in bed before i go to sleep that affect the calves more but the back of thighs too.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

Every little bit helps. The more strength training you do now while you’re losing the less muscle you’ll lose as you diet. Your body most likely has an above average amount of muscle, just as a result of needing to carry around that extra weight 24/7. So anything you do to help keep that muscle will benefit you long term.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Stay with it.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Hi :) just a thought. See if you can set your mind to not get on a scale for 2 weeks. Then eat as healthy as you can and start moving however you can. The success you'll see over a longer period of time will motivate you. The weight trend apps are very helpful too to not freak over every pound. I like Healthy Scale. I know I can go up and down 3-4 pounds overnight sometimes. You have to not let it determine your whole day :) Have a great day!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Down to 484 as of today.

474 sorry stupid auto correct

Oh, good! I was hoping that was a typo. Well done! That's a terrific whoosh.

Now we know that you tend to hold onto weight and then have a big loss (a whoosh) all at once. That should help you get through the times when the scale isn't moving, right? @TackleWasher is like this, too, if I remember correctly. He's down like 110 pounds.

I've gone a week to 10 days and then dropped 3 pounds withing a couple days. In the end, I've lost pretty close to whats predicted by my watch calories and what I log. Not perfect, but long term it's been close. Short term, it's all over the map. As I said above, I'm up this week from higher than normal carbs, but it's coming off. I've dropped ~ 2 lbs since Saturday, so that's mostly water.