WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    Lisa~ you go girl... feel so bad for your sister.. 2 times is enough for this girl and I am sure enjoying my independence,... texted with Tom we think Chester's bladder stones are acting up again, so will make an appointment for the vet.. if the appointment is after 4 we both will go together.. at this stage of the game if it is bladder stones I dont know if a 4th operation at 11 yrs old is a good idea for poor Chester.. we will see what happens tomorrow.. Electrician is coming Saterday at 9, and hopefully wont charge me an arm and a leg, I dont have the huge jobs that Tom had,,,got the bills out for this month with a bit left over that will stay in my checking account .. I will go without my fitbit for awhile until I can afford to get another one..
    going to hop in the shower and then go feed my friend June's cat and take the boys for a walk... then off to feed my DFIL and to work..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Off to the airport in 20 minutes. My "difficult " friend will be there as she is catching the same plane as me, but our seats are apart. I will have a coffee and snack with her. She is actually almost bearable one to one, but I'm wearing my Zen bracelet just in case. :D:p

Speak later. Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Allie - Yeah, I get a grin out of Corey every time I say in conversation with others that he's my "second and final" husband. I adore him, and hope to live with him until I take the long dirt nap. But if something happens, God forbid, and we are no longer together, there will be no more for me.

Heather - hope it goes well... Fling those beads around as necessary for your own peace of mind, my dear.

Off to the showers, and then on the road...
    Lisa
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did Amy Dixon and Paul Katemi's Double Down DVD today. I'll probably do some HIIT tomorrow since most hotel gyms have at least an elliptical.

Rori - thanks, I'm going to really try hard to keep everyone's wise wisdom in mind. I'll try to post when I can. If I can only post (don't remember if I can post here from my table or not) on the main page, someone please copy it into here for me. Perhaps your brother can get one of those meal plans where they deliver the meal to you. At least he can use that every other day so he'll still get his socialization in. Really, in many ways it's sort-of easy to eat in a restaurant. It all depends on what you order. If you order a hamburger on bun with french fries, you're going to get an awful lot of fat. If you order broiled fish and vegetables -- not so bad. Hope the nutritionist gives him good tips so he can have good meals but still keep his lifestyle.

Vince bought the Halloween candy yesterday. I'm OK as long as the bag isn't opened.

Lisa - I understand why you told your sister what you did. Sometimes we need to tell someone a "white lie" not to hurt them. You did well. I'm so sorry for her that she had to leave her husband, but that sure makes things better for you.

I have a feeling Vince will want to shut down the network in a few, so I'll be thinking of everyone this weekend.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    Zzzzz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,037 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    At lunch, I got my Melbourne Cup hat and the accessories to go on it. :) For those who might not know, the Melbourne Cup is the big horse race of the season ... and as far as fashion goes, it is all about the hat.

Mine is a subdued blue floppy hat to which I will add a garden of pink roses. :grin:

Machka in Oz

My hat ...

37893269332_c76de7f6e2_z.jpg

My orchid ...

37893268862_7ac7ac999c_z.jpg

Now here's the question ... how do you take care of an orchid?

We bought a new-to-us van about a month ago, and as a "thank you" they gave us an orchid. I have some very brief instructions that tell me to put an ice cube over the dirt area in order to water it slowly ... but we don't have ice cubes, so I've been dribbling a bit of water in about once a week. Other than that, I'm not sure what to do to ensure it continues to live.

Machka in Oz

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Karen- I haven't been able to do my weightlifting workout since we started prepping for our move to Arizona. Probably since June. I have not noticed any decline in my physical strength or tone of muscle. My nephew is a Strongfirst instructor with the kettle bell. He looks like a major weight lifter and never lifted only swung the kettle bell. I would definitely read the books by Pavel he is the one that I follow for my workouts. There are plenty of ways to simulate a pull up without a bar. One is with dumbbells the other is with your body weight. I like to do the bodyweight one with a polel, broomstick between two chairs. To add resistance you can put a weight plate on your chest.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ap0ce0xdEqg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nFrnlqwvIE4

I really do believe that the Kettlebell does tone and strengthen your body just as well as weightlifting. Consistency is important. I do the goblet squats and swings every day. Pavel says that is something that can be done daily. The program has you do it every other day. Then on the other days you do the chest press, and pull ups modified for me. Check out the information and videos. The one most important thing for you to remember is that this is progressive overload which means that you are going to progressively add weigh or reps. So if you follow the program you start out doing 10 reps then 13 reps then 16 reps… after you get through the fourth week of the program you are ready to increase the weight of the Kettlebell. The Kettlebell usually is a 5 pound increase. However you go back down to week one and you are only doing 10 reps to start. I think you would have success with it. I know that there are other kettle bell workouts out there but they are using a light enough Kettlebell l that they can swing around for an hour which is in my opinion a waste of time and energy. I used to do that with dumbbells and wrist and ankle weights but have never noticed the results I have with Pavel's program. If you have any questions I will be able to help you let me know.

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    And the *joy* for today is spending HOURS on the phone on hold, writing emails, getting documentation and convincing the stupid government that NO WE DID NOT APPLY FOR A FEMA GRANT/LOAN. My husband's identity was stolen and someone is trying to get money from the government .... seems there are a lot of people in the same boat as us. Thankfully they tried it through the Small Business Administration in our case and they contacted us but the application with FEMA is still active because their fraud line is so busy you can't talk to anyone. Two hours of being on hold was enough for me..... and I've written emails to their fraud alert address etc. It would just be nice to have a human voice say, oh, gosh I'm sorry, I'll note that on your file and make sure this loan does not go through and is flagged as fraud.

It's the government. I think I'm dreaming.

But more annoying that this is the STUPID CROOKS WHO CAN'T GO OUT AN EARN AN HONEST DOLLAR BUT WASTE MY TIME TRYING TO STOP THEM!

Ranting in Houston,
    Marcelyn
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    P.S. to my above post. Has anyone used an Identity Protection service? I know LifeLock but the two I'm considering are IdentityForce and ID Watchdog. Has anyone used either of them?
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Terry in VT wrote: Whenever I can’t find anything I just say “Mom, I need your help finding...”. 9 times out of 10 I then find what I’m looking for. This has happened ever since my mom died. Strange but true. Makes me feel like she is still close by.
    That is SO sweet! What a lovely thing to happen. :heart:

Machka - that's a Phalaenopsis. They're incredibly low maintenance as orchids go, and thrive on neglect. The worst thing you can do is to overwater them. A good strategy is just to dip the whole pot briefly in room temperature water once a week. The orchid will love standing in a light place without direct sun, ideally above but not touching a water surface. Or you can mist them a couple times a week if you're the energetic type of plant owner (which I'm not). Moisture on their roots makes them sad, but having extra moisture from evaporation in the air around them makes them happy. When the blossoms fade it will probably take several months before any new stalks come up, but they will eventually, so don't give up. My two Phalaenopses have been blossoming for years, despite living in a desert-dry place where there's no sunlight at all for months.

All my students from three different courses have sent me texts at various stages of revision for constructive criticism. So I'm being constructively critical o:)>:)o:) Gee golly whiz it takes a lot of energy! :s

/Penny, taking a short breather with you guys between critiques at the North Pole
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: I hope our new cleaner comes back! She worked so hard yesterday and our house is so much better! DH & I spent most of the day in the office. I hope to get more exercise today. :star:

Heather: Your plans with your friends remind me that I should contact two of my old dear friends and set up a lunch with each somewhere. They don't know one another. One is from childhood, the other from teaching. :flowerforyou:

Alison: I don't think I've ever spoken to one of my doctors on the phone. Is so it was long ago. In the past I made an appointment and went in person. Now I participate in internet message conversations at the hospital website or go in for an appointment. I love this system. :bigsmile:

Pip: I've heard of carb loading but have no idea what that actually means. How do you actually do it? Can you give an example? Are we talking potatoes or sugar? :huh:

Michele: It is so good that you didn't get any serious damage from the tornado. Yay! :star: I can understand why you need to take a variety of clothes with you to the wedding rehearsal. Men go through their work lives with a basic uniform that fits their job, and a suit for formal occasions. Women have a lot more to consider for big social events. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Barbie's DH is Jake. I hope his results are good, too. :flowerforyou:

Becca: Bald Eagles nest on Sauvie Island, near us. We see them in the summer, but not this time of year. Perhaps they go down to your neighborhood. :smiley:

Machka: Orchids are easy. You water them as needed. I fed mine an orchid fertilizer once a month. The blooms last for months. I have never gotten one to bloom a second time although I tried. I ended up throwing the plants away after months of trying. Now I buy an orchid and keep it while it is still beautiful, and treat it like cut flowers that are replaced when they wilt. Christmas Cacti are another matter altogether. I have some that my mom gave me more than twenty years ago that put on a fabulous display of blooms every year. :heart:

I hope I can ago to yoga today, but right now I'm not feeling very well. Last night's dinner out is not agreeing with me.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    P.S. to my above post. Has anyone used an Identity Protection service? I know LifeLock but the two I'm considering are IdentityForce and ID Watchdog. Has anyone used either of them?

We only have one credit card and on the credit card we have protection that has notified us about fraudulent activity and they took care of it right away. They have a system in place that can monitor your normal usage and area of usage and will notify when that is abnormal and ask if it was you. I believe our bank account has the same type of program. Sorry you are going through this issue.

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Marchka - That orchid is beautiful! So full of flowers and tons of blooms not yet opened. You will enjoy it for quite some time.

Orchids are not nearly as 'fickle' as some think. Important thing to remember is to NOT over water them; but, instead of a couple of ice cubes (that melt slowly) I would slowly pour water into mine and counting to 3, 5, or 7 depending on the pot they're in. I would not use ice cubes because of the melting of the cubes still means they get 'cold' water. If I wanted to make sure I was not going to over water them, I would 'melt' the ice cubes (2 or 3 for the smaller ones) and 5 or 7 (for the larger ones) and pour the room temperature into them ... evenly around the pot sides. A different dish for each plant you have. That plant might be in a pot as big as 5" across (maybe more). I would say - no more than 1/4th of a cup of water weekly if that is the size of pot it is in. Looks like a very mature plant to have that many flowers on it. Stakes to keep it 'upright' (if not already some in the pot and used those small hair clips to keep the stem to the stake. Or a twist tie that is loosely twisted. The quickest way to kill them is to overwater them. I found that my watering method worked for me when I had them out on the glassed-in porch. I would cut off the flower stem as soon as it dropped its last flower and started drying up, all the way back as far as I could to the leaves. I use dog clippers to cut them back, because it is so much easier and less damaging on the leaves. Do NOT get water on the leaves. When we went to Louisiana in August, my DOS succeeded at 'killing' over 1/2 of mine. I was 'so upset' about it and I won't replace them until the 'new' ones come out in spring. I hesitate to ever leave them again for as long as we were gone (in the care of my son). I usually watered all my plants on Friday (or Saturday) and he had to have come over the day before we were coming home to water my big Jade plant and a cactus that is about 3' tall and soaked them. For my ferns (especially the ones outside) I do soak them until the water starts running out of the bottom hole in the pot - if they are in decorative pots; I take them out so they don't stay in the water and make the roots drown. The Jade plant had way too much water in it because when I tried moving it, the branches started falling off. I'm just holding my breath had hoping that repotting it will help turn it around. He 'misted' my orchids and that is the wrong thing to do to them. They don't like water to sit on their leaves. You can check their health by feeling the leaves. If they are firm and slightly cool to touch they are getting enough water and where they are is a good place for them. About 68 - 72 degrees is a pretty good range of consistent temperature for them. But, every few weeks, take a damp cloth and 'dust' the leaves, top and bottom to get the dust off their leaves so they can breath. They really like to be 'pot-bound' for them to re-bloom. Cutting the dead flower stem helps them put out new growth and that is where they grow to flower. Try to buy ones that have a tag on them that they are re-blooming. Get orchid fertilizer and follow the directions on it about how much and when to fertilize them. You can let the stem dry out completely (like a daylily or iris) and not run the risk of nicking the leaves; but I go ahead and deadhead them (cut them back - or pull out the flower stem if it is completely dried out to the leaves. If their leaves start to wither, they are dehydrated. Some you are just going to lose no matter what you do. They are either in a draft, getting too much sun or water; but, once you get the 'hang' of taking care of one and having it put out new growth and/or re-blooming you will be 'hooked'. I'm just going to wait until the porch is finished before I put that much money into one plant ... but, they are really easier to grow than violets are (in my opinion). I love all kinds of flowers and plants. My porch will look like a greenhouse when I get finished with it. I have a Japanese Magnolia which is pretty tall and gives it some much needed shade on the west facing porch; but, I have decided that I will put up several panels of 'sheers' that I can pull together for when it gets really hot (usually in August and September) where we live. And next time, I will 'show' my son 'how to water my plants' and NOT just 'tell him'. I thought I made it crystal clear about the plants; but, obviously I did not.

A water meter is another good way to determine when they need water or not. If you are able to stick you finger into the potting medium up to the first joint and it isn't damp, it probably needs water. Some garden centers plant theirs in either sphagnum moss or bark. I'd only repot them when they get so pot-bound that the roots are coming out of the pot and drying out. Soak the medium you plan to repot them in ... the don't need any type of 'soil' because like I said they are really a parasite type of plant, they don't grow in soil.

One reason we boarded Cracker is that we did NOT want her to be crated 22 hours a day while we were gone. I've put all my orchids out into my greenhouse and I think I can save 5 of them. Right now, I am mad ... so I am sort of ignoring them. People think because they live in a jungle they need a lot of water and fussing over - but, they are just a very pretty parasite type of plant that actually draws out of the trees they grow in the amount they need. I have a huge Staghorn Fern and when I water it I take the hose and water the leaves ... any water that runs down into the pot off the leaves is enough to keep it growing. I got it and my Jade plant for a good price. Of course, when I spend $$$ on plants, Louis asks if they can be eaten.

Lenora
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Kindle Fire Tablet 10: I just got this yesterday and was able to download the MFP app. However, it looks like I can't get to the community page on it. Can anyone tell me if this is possible? I am very new to this.

Carol in GA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,387 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »

Equifax has a program a person can sign up for, free, for 12 months which might work for you. Here is some info and the link: https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

I signed up for it and also have similar, I think, through our credit card which gives the FICO score each month.

What a shame we now have to worry about all this. :'(

Lanette