Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    HDBKLM wrote: »
    *Kitten* me 5.9 is a lot! Did you say you've already taken 3 of 5 total dosages? How much higher could you go in 2 more pills? I'm going to do Price is Right strategy and say $1. I mean 1 kilo.

You'd be surprised at the amount of water that a body can hold.

Yeah fair enough :) But the Price is Right strategy has worked for so many contestants on that show I'm sticking with i!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    *Kitten* me 5.9 is a lot! Did you say you've already taken 3 of 5 total dosages? How much higher could you go in 2 more pills? I'm going to do Price is Right strategy and say $1. I mean 1 kilo.

You'd be surprised at the amount of water that a body can hold.

Yeah fair enough :) But the Price is Right strategy has worked for so many contestants on that show I'm sticking with i!

Read above @HDBKLM ;)
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Haha, well you've lost already then, unless I don't gain any more!

Up 1 kg so far, after three days of pred.

Ok well if we are playing by Price Is Right rules (I realise I'm literally the only person who has brought this reference up and am in that sense participating in a game with just one player) then we are not just talking 'closest figure' but 'closest without going OVER the actual figure, so *kitten* it I'm sticking with what I've already put out there.

ETA: But what's the prize?
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380, is a Fitbit in the budget?

lol - unfortunately, no - this house remodel has me tapped pretty tightly until I can sell my other house. But I might have some extra money come spring!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Lol anabolic as possible = lift challenging weight/heavy things for reps with the form of pure vanity, target major compound muscle groups, eat all the protein like you hunted it down in front of its family... I'm sure the look on frightened vegetable protein sources is priceless. I've tried to make it sound as primal as I could, but that's about the best analogy I could come up with :tongue:

I feel like I need to try the last one when I dig out the remaining potatoes from the garden this weekend.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have 4.2? Because that's the answer to life, the universe and everything. So I'll go with that.

Ha, I called it up top already. I also don't know why I went with that figure, but I did ☜(˚▽˚)☞
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380, is a Fitbit Garmin in the budget?

FIFY
  • anubis609
    Options
    Lol anabolic as possible = lift challenging weight/heavy things for reps with the form of pure vanity, target major compound muscle groups, eat all the protein like you hunted it down in front of its family... I'm sure the look on frightened vegetable protein sources is priceless. I've tried to make it sound as primal as I could, but that's about the best analogy I could come up with :tongue:

I feel like I need to try the last one when I dig out the remaining potatoes from the garden this weekend.

Show them what happens when they grow
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Show them what happens when they grow

Dang right. They grow, they get hauled out of the ground, boiled, and frozen. (Well, the sweets. I have no patience for curing them. The yukon golds get dumped into the pantry.)

That's one heck of a way to go.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I always hunt protein, so not an issue!! Muscles feel fine in terms of recovery from yesterday (as in, not so much as a peep out of them), so I shall train again today, and maybe get sneaky stuff in too. And yoga. Not too much cardio (which is only walking anyway)?

I think somewhere in the 4kg range is a good prediction. Holy *kitten*, that's gonna look hilarious. I'm totally doing anti-progress pics. My thighs are already a joke. Can still see my obliques though :) (I have killer obliques).

I kind of want pizza for dinner tonight (much as I don't want to turn the oven on), but I have to admit I'm a little scared of the tomato paste/pizza sauce. Thus far I've been fine with cooked tomato, but tolerance level drops with flares, so...
  • anubis609
    Options
    A sauceless all cheese and meat pizza sounds delicious right about now. Yes, I know it's just an open face flatbread melt at that point, but I'm not hard up for lycopene at this time :triumph:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    maybyn wrote: »
    @Nony_Mouse, @anubis609, thank you for your kind words. They help tremendously. I've actually booked a session with a therapist just last week after my really bad episode. It took me seeing what others were going through in this thread and other threads here that prompted me to do it, something I would never have done previously. Fingers crossed!
    psuLemon wrote: »
    maybyn wrote: »
    A small update from me - so much so for the accuracy of my numbers.

Quite an embarrassing confession to make but in the midst of all the conversions from kg to pounds (which I do for this forum and a couple of others), I had my calculations set up as 3500 cals = 1kg, not 1 pound. So my rate of loss the past 4 months was double what it should have been if the 3500 cals = 1 pound rule was taken.

For the science-y people in or reading this thread who may be interested, here are my numbers. And for those who may be scared to up their calories, so many great testimonials already from others who have posted but here's mine. While my monthly numbers do not match projected scale drops each month likely due to water weight, TOM, binging vs whoosh effect etc etc but taken overall, the numbers match (apart from the fact that I need to look at the CO part carefully now since my garmin may not be as accurate as I thought).
    d3jher5d9sva.png

(ETA: October was the start of the Refeed approach)

I'm officially on a diet break now (aka maintenance) and will be on this till probably around March next year.

So you ate almost 1000 calories more and still lost weight.

Dont let the main forums now, they will freak the hell out.

Sorry if that has been pointed out, 4 pages behind lol

:) IKR!

It was this thread that helped me decide to stick to upping cals and going maintenance (refeed) with a higher deficit. I think it was the whoosh effect which I mentioned right at the beginning (first few pages) of this thread AND not to mention, my training got sooo much better too. That was when I thought Holy hell, something's working here!

Next mission - finding how high I can go with calories!!

I actually almost want to make this a separate thread. Because the whole concept of eat more to lose more *kitten* blows peoples minds. I know I did it (went from 1800 to 2300 calories). Too many people just think in linear fashion that they can't fathom increase in EE driven by increase in calories (i.e., spontaneous changes in NEAT or increase in TEA).

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I have found that there is kinda of a calorie sweet spot for me. If I eat 1300/1400 I can not sustain that. I am STARVING. I can eat 1500 for a short period of time. After about 2 weeks I am cranky and my energy is very low. I start to conserve. I am move around a lot less, I don't fidget. If I eat around 1650 I seem to lose about the same amount as I would @ 1500. My energy levels are much better and I move around more.

Exactly. Not to mention TEF also plays a part in increased calorie intake, protein having the greatest effect, followed by carbs; fat is almost negligible but contributes to circulating FFAs and storage if consumed along with overfeeding. Interestingly, you basically become a human oven when you overfeed, especially protein. So even at higher calculated calorie intake, the body ticks up in metabolic processes to digest it, resulting in increased NEAT for most people.

And see, this is a catch 22 for me, because the last thing I want is to be hotter!!

Breakfast finally eaten at almost midday (I did have some yoghurt first thing to take my pred), 60g of protein down the hatch so far.

Is sesame an EFA? My pizza bases are sprouted seed, not sure if there's flax in there as well. Meh, I'll just pour some flax oil on that sucker!!

I got blueberries as well as strawberries at market this morning @anubis609 :) . And watermelon plants!! Must get some strawberry plants to put in too. This all involves me creating a garden bed somewhere, which is going to have to be an evening activity of course :\ I have a wee bed at the edge of the deck that some strawberries can go in, just have to weed it. Watermelon garden will require turfing some grass and enriching the soil. AKA using ma muscles!

Oh and my friend who is here kindly doing some weed whacking for me confirmed that he too thinks the mystery bush in my back garden may be a blueberry!! No signs of fruit on it atm though :(
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just saw this thread when I read else where about break up big weight loss into stages. I was 190lbs 40 days ago and now lost 17lbs by keeping to 1000 to 1200 calorie per day. My goal weight is 140lbs, so I am thinking to take a break after 160lbs maintain it for a month or so, eating about 1500 calorie per day so my body won't go into starvation mod. For now, I do have cheat meal so basically I would have one 1500 day a week.
    Does any one have similar experience and have any suggestions? Do you think a break is a good idea?