Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    My chocolate is a bit lacklustre. I add dark cocoa powder or dark choc PB. If I have to have plain choc I'm a little sad.
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    I probably will try out more once this one runs out. I've never been a fan of vanilla but I'm the only one in the house who has any interest in the plant-based powder. I bet I'd like chocolate a lot more

I like chocolate a lot! I keep chocolate and plain unflavored on hand. The chocolate I usually have once per day with 1/2 a banana and a frozen organic berry mix. I also freeze the bananas as the whole things taste great cold. Then, as has been mentioned, I mix plain greek yogurt with plain unflavored protein powder and some nuts, pumpkin seeds and craisins.

I will also use the plain to make a protein dutch apple baby. If anyone is interested in the recipe, I'll post it.

I have some plain powder too so I'd love the recipe!
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I feel like there are tiny bitey critters crawling all over my skin :'(
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I probably will try out more once this one runs out. I've never been a fan of vanilla but I'm the only one in the house who has any interest in the plant-based powder. I bet I'd like chocolate a lot more

I like chocolate a lot! I keep chocolate and plain unflavored on hand. The chocolate I usually have once per day with 1/2 a banana and a frozen organic berry mix. I also freeze the bananas as the whole things taste great cold. Then, as has been mentioned, I mix plain greek yogurt with plain unflavored protein powder and some nuts, pumpkin seeds and craisins.

I will also use the plain to make a protein dutch apple baby. If anyone is interested in the recipe, I'll post it.

Ok, here goes:
    Ingredients:
    3 to 4 Granny Smith Apples (depending on size)
    6 large eggs (or 5 XL or Jumbo, Can't really have too many cause it is essentially an apple custard. The amount may impact how much flour you will need)
    3/4 stick of butter
    3/4 cup whole milk or 1/2 and 1/2
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1 cup plain unflavored protein powder
    1/4 cup plain unbleached flour (if gluten intolerant, casava flour works just fine)

Preheat oven to about 310 (low heat)
    Peel and core about 4 to 5 granny smith apples, depending on size and slice them about 1/4 inch thick
    Ideally you have a cast iron skillet, if not a fry pan and a deep dish pie plate will do.

Start the apples sauteing in about 1/2 stick of melted butter at medium high heat. You want them to brown a little but not cook through and get soft.

Mix 6 eggs and 1 cup of milk. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and 1/4 cup sugar. ( a stand mixer and med high speed is ideal to aerate the eggs and milk)

While mixing feed in the protein powder and flour until you have the consistency of a thinish pancake batter. (not watery but not thick. Will run off a spoon but not quickly) And don't forget to give the apples some turns and shakes meanwhile!

When the batter is right, fold in the apples. Melt the other 1/4 stick of butter in the cast iron skillet (or use it to grease the pie plate) and pour the apple batter in.

Put in the oven and set timer for 20 minutes. Check. It is done when the middle is firm to the touch. Typically somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes. Add a little maple syrup on top! So good when warm out of the oven!!
    Calories around 275 for 1/4. Around 40 grams of protein.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

So sorry! Wish I knew how to help!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Literally nothing else really can be done :\

It's possibly/probably from my friend weed whacking grass. The itching is almost bearable, it's the prickliness, with occasional 'omg, someone just pricked my entire thigh with a billion sharp pins all at once' that truly sucks. Luckily my friend came back to have another go at the back, back garden, so he went and got me some paracetamol (can't have ibuprofen on pred, all the paracetamol I have in the house, which is a *kitten* ton, is combined with codeine, which gives me a rash...). Potion bath has been had, antihistamine taken, topical steroids and emollient applied. Getting heaps of steps though, b/c pacing is distracting.
  • mmapags
    Options

Literally nothing else really can be done :\

It's possibly/probably from my friend weed whacking grass. The itching is almost bearable, it's the prickliness, with occasional 'omg, someone just pricked my entire thigh with a billion sharp pins all at once' that truly sucks. Luckily my friend came back to have another go at the back, back garden, so he went and got me some paracetamol (can't have ibuprofen on pred, all the paracetamol I have in the house, which is a *kitten* ton, is combined with codeine, which gives me a rash...). Potion bath has been had, antihistamine taken, topical steroids and emollient applied. Getting heaps of steps though, b/c pacing is distracting.

((nony))
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Oh and my friend who is here kindly doing some weed whacking for me confirmed that he too thinks the mystery bush in my back garden may be a blueberry!! No signs of fruit on it atm though :(

I've put in a few fruit trees and bushes in my yard. Some need to have a second plant to act as a pollinator - your blueberry bush might be one of those, if its the only one in the area. Without the ability to pollinate themselves or without another of the same kind in the area, they won't bloom or bear fruit. Of course, some years just aren't good for trees, either, so it may just be an off year. But if it goes a couple of years and never bears, that might be the problem!

I just transplanted 2 apples, a cherry bush, and a peach tree. I only bought the red apple to act as a pollinator for my yellow transparent. Thankfully, the peach tree can pollinate itself. I need to get a second cherry, though - I had one, but the deer did a number on it. Of course, since I had to dig them all up and move them this week, we'll see in the spring if they survived. If not, I'll be starting over come spring!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Oh and my friend who is here kindly doing some weed whacking for me confirmed that he too thinks the mystery bush in my back garden may be a blueberry!! No signs of fruit on it atm though :(

I've put in a few fruit trees and bushes in my yard. Some need to have a second plant to act as a pollinator - your blueberry bush might be one of those, if its the only one in the area. Without the ability to pollinate themselves or without another of the same kind in the area, they won't bloom or bear fruit. Of course, some years just aren't good for trees, either, so it may just be an off year. But if it goes a couple of years and never bears, that might be the problem!

I just transplanted 2 apples, a cherry bush, and a peach tree. I only bought the red apple to act as a pollinator for my yellow transparent. Thankfully, the peach tree can pollinate itself. I need to get a second cherry, though - I had one, but the deer did a number on it. Of course, since I had to dig them all up and move them this week, we'll see in the spring if they survived. If not, I'll be starting over come spring!

Yeah, pretty sure that's the problem. I think there's only one. Same with the olive, though that is showing signs it may fruit. I'm guessing it's too late to get the blueberry a friend for fruiting this season (not my house, but I could put it in a big tub).
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Yeah, pretty sure that's the problem. I think there's only one. Same with the olive, though that is showing signs it may fruit. I'm guessing it's too late to get the blueberry a friend for fruiting this season (not my house, but I could put it in a big tub).

Blueberry plants are actually self-pollinating -- so it should be OK on its own. They make bigger fruit when they have a buddy (and, I like getting multiple shrubs' worth of fruit), but they do manage on their own.

Blueberry can be later in the season. I usually don't get anything with mine until close to August, so late summer.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Blueberry plants are actually self-pollinating -- so it should be OK on its own. They make bigger fruit when they have a buddy (and, I like getting multiple shrubs' worth of fruit), but they do manage on their own.

Blueberry can be later in the season. I usually don't get anything with mine until close to August, so late summer.

Oooh, so it may just not have started forming fruit yet? That would be exciting!!

I am going to be swimming in fruit late Summer/early Autumn - grapes, feijoas (meh, unless flavouring vodka), figs (omg!), apples, the paltry plum crop...plus the watermelons I'm going to plant. And strawberries. Oh and blackberries.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Well that sounds awful. Sending get well thoughts over the sea to you.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I guess it's kind of impressive that my body is still trying to generate a rash (is generating one?) and itch through pred, topical steroids, barrier cream, aloe vera gel, pinetarsol, oatmeal...stubborn little thing!

Listening to Rage Against the Machine, b/c angry.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the vegetarian protein suggestions! This will be much easier if I start having regular dairy and maybe some hard boiled eggs (only way I can stand them) Also planning to make a big batch of my 4 bean vegan chili soon :tongue: so good!

Combining whole grains and legumes makes for more appealing dishes that are still relatively okay on protein. I like beans, but they get old if I have nothing but beans for several days. Yesterday we had a local vegetarian dish that is one of my favorite things on the planet, and just so happens to be good on protein. It's basically roughly equal parts bulgur and lentils with caramelized onions. Lots and lots of caramelized onions mixed in giving the dish a deeper color and rich sweet and umami flavor. I may post a picture later, it's too early now, but it ended up at 23 grams of protein for just under 500 calories (which is the best I can currently do without losing my mind since I can't eat animal protein till Christmas).

I currently end up at about 50-60 grams of protein per day, which is good enough as a minimum requirement since this isn't a long term thing. When I go back to eating as usual I get 80-100 grams of protein mostly from plants and dairy with only a little bit of meat and fish thrown in here and there, so it's possible to get enough protein as a vegetarian even if you don't get out of your way to buy specialty protein stuff.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I guess it's kind of impressive that my body is still trying to generate a rash (is generating one?) and itch through pred, topical steroids, barrier cream, aloe vera gel, pinetarsol, oatmeal...stubborn little thing!

Listening to Rage Against the Machine, b/c angry.

I'm sorry to hear that... I hope it resolves soon :(
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think I might be the only one who hasn't bought protein powder in at least a year. When I did I tried putting it in my porridge a couple of times. It went in the bin. I just don't get on with any artificial sweeteners if I can actually taste them. But I am a meat eater so it is relatively easier for me.

What I have been having recently are protein bars but not because they aren't 200+ calorie bombs. More like chocolate or snack bars that happen to be high protein. Also, there's now Yorkie, Bounty, Snickers and Mars bars with added protein. One time I am pretty darn happy about the all da proteinz marketing hype.

Oh and I also currently have some protein bread. Fills me up so much and gets me a good way to my protein intake. I have recently bought a protein added peanut butter, which I'm not crazy about the texture of but put a bit of jam on it? Delicious!

So look out for protein added products, I can get all my protein in under 1000 calories leaving the rest for whatever deliciousness and veg I fancy.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,950 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's make this fun, bets on how much water weight Nony can gain on pred. I'm on day 3 of 5 at twice a day (though I can scale down as soon as the rash has cleared, so may get away with four days), and 5 days at once a day (though if I only do four at twice a day I may be able to do fewer at one as well, need to check with doctor on that. Ovulation around mid next week should also be taken into account. Could be Wednesday, could be Saturday, or anywhere in between.
    7.5 kilos

8.8 to 9.9 lbs. Gone within 22 days (21+1)
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Question on the 'plain' flavour of protein powders: do they sincerely taste of nothing/are they really unnoticeable? Just because I happen not to have much of a sweet tooth so I'd probably be trying to sneak it into savoury recipes. And that being the case, should it affect the choice of pea, whey, etc.?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    HDBKLM wrote: »
    Question on the 'plain' flavour of protein powders: do they sincerely taste of nothing/are they really unnoticeable? Just because I happen not to have much of a sweet tooth so I'd probably be trying to sneak it into savoury recipes. And that being the case, should it affect the choice of pea, whey, etc.?

I've made protein "bread" and savoury pancakes (which can be used as wraps or pizza bases) with unflavoured WPI. I added herbs and spices, and there was no discernible taste from the powder.

You'd have to be careful about what you were putting it in - you wouldnt just want to stir WPI in to a hot soup for example, it would clump due to the heat and be gross!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Three days into 2740 cals and I am feeling quite nauseous. Not sure if changing macros slightly or what I am eating will make a difference. Breakfast has been overwhelming today and yesterday. Had to take brekkie to work yesterday as could not face it first thing. Hopefully it is just temporary (domestic stress and I get nausea and diarrhoea)...stomach still feels tetchy...the smell of food is setting me off too...no I am not pregnant, that is impossible (tubal ligation and menopause) Grrrrr...aches and pains in joints and muscles gone though!