Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    But at the price of awesome...

Anyhoo, guessing game time. This is my Pa, guess how old he is.

217762_10150231068200739_3914159_n.jpg?oh=e99ccd380e94fa21af8833bfc56db191&oe=5AB3F7CA

75 - 80

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Noobish question, are refeeds only for low-carb dieters? I've mostly seen them in the context of keto/low-carb diets.

What they said!!

My take from the podcast is that refeeds are beneficial for everyone, not just those already lean or doing competition stuff, but they become increasingly important the leaner you get.

I really, really want him to finish his new book for women.

Yes, that's what I meant but didn't put it too well. There can be some benefit for pretty much anyone, but they become pretty important when you're lean already and trying to get that extra bit.

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant, just clarifying for anyone who may read and think 'oh, I don't have to worry about that yet'. I think both refeeds and diet breaks should be incorporated by everyone from early on.

Lyle does make the point that those first four to six weeks at a deficit for a lot of people (esp long term overweight) may need to be pretty tunnel vision deficit, 'healthy' foods, because they're resetting taste buds and solidifying new behaviours.

I'm 50 and been overweight 10 years so I guess that counts as long term, right?

Anyway, my PT who set my programme up explained exactly that point to me at the beginning.

He said I would need to stay in deficit til I've dropped 60lbs or something, then to do the re-feed.

I have re-set the taste buds & established new behaviour. I'll listen to Kyles' podcast above, this is all really
    useful info for me.

Sad thing is 10 years ago I was super lean & buff having spent the previous 5 years in the gym pretty much every day

Let it ALL go really badly (Credit Crunch victim)

Getting it back now though

Wow this worked out perfectly

That post was on 20 October.

I started Diet Break today having dropped 63lb already, 73 still to go

I still don't really feel hungry and I could carry on with current deficit. However, I want the
    benefits of the diet break when I push through to target weight. Probably going to need more breaks
    as the weight comes off

I'll let you know how it goes although will be going for re-comp before getting to target

Yep, the less body fat you have, the more frequently you need to take breaks.

Good to see all those health markers in the healthy range btw. I hope you are a) feeling much better physically, and b) a bit more relaxed/less urgent about the rest of the trip to goal now that the health pressure is off :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Option Three is drive to work, leave car there and pick up tomorrow if I have a couple of drinks. This means I only need to sunblock for the walk home, and I'll be going to the shopping complex in the next town over tomorrow morning anyway.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Got to report in

I've eaten my Diet Break calories today and I gotta tell ya

Feels awesome :D:D:D

You're killin' me, Smalls! Trying to hold out for onederland and/or January for a diet break.

Been on a plateau for about three weeks. I'm really tempted to start the diet break now. Right. Now. :p:)

• Nony_Mouse
    Got to report in

You're killin' me, Smalls! Trying to hold out for onederland and/or January for a diet break.

Been on a plateau for about three weeks. I'm really tempted to start the diet break now. Right. Now. :p:)

Start now. You will get to Onederland quicker if you do, I bet.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Also, what's a potentially infected mosquito bite at this point, right? *kitten* you, Nature.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I tried the strap looser. I tried giving it time. I applied steroid cream religiously. All no cigar. My first strap I adjusted to and then when I switched watches I was totally fine for a while. And then boom, skin flared up and never liked silicon or leather again!

It's funny, I have no issue with the strap, but with the device itself. It gives me a terrible rash.

I was okay when I had my Flex because I wore that very loosely, but the Charge2, being an HRM type needs to be worn somewhat snugly, and that's turned out to be my downfall. I tend to have problems with any metal, though (I don't even wear a wedding band because of this). And there are parts of the back of the Fitbit that are metal that seem to be causing this).

The best I can do is not sleep in the thing to give my skin a break.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Got to report in

That's what I was thinking, Nony. Maybe my body is telling me it's time for a break. I have been holding around 205 +/- 2 pounds since November 25th. Will calculate a new calorie target when I get some free time tonight. Stupid work!

• Nony_Mouse
    Got to report in

That's what I was thinking, Nony. Maybe my body is telling me it's time for a break. I have been holding around 205 +/- 2 pounds since November 25th. Will calculate a new calorie target when I get some free time tonight. Stupid work!

Yep, that's what I think too. No sense in banging your head against a wall for a few more weeks.

Or I can send you my psychotic immune system! It's free to a good home and good for a 4 lb weight loss in less than 6 weeks eating at TDEE (or more accurately, what would normally be TDEE) :|
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I don't think I'm diet breaking right. Some of this is because I am feeling bloated and on top of that there's the, let's change things up, malaise I am dealing with. Neither a winning combination for wanton indulgence but still, this is me, I am a winner at eating. Except when I'm not.

I have literally just made myself have some tortilla chips and cheese dip (of the cheap and cheerful variety you only indulge quietly in at Christmas) because I have barely eaten today! And I didn't really eat a lot yesterday either. I stopped logging in MFP (but doing some casual mental math) as a sort of test for myself to see how actual maintenance might work but also because I feel like I eat my goal just because sometimes. I did log Monday but came in about with about 400 calories left because I ran out of snacks, heh.

This has turned out to be a double edged sword. I no longer feel the need to finish what I have made/have in front of me. Nor do I fiddle around to see if I can add in a little extra of this because RESTRICTED (psychologically speaking, I don't technically restrict anything but calories). So this is curious. Good news I suppose. Don't imagine it will last forever, the bloat and lack of appetite that is. I'd like the laissez faire attitude to eating everything I have portioned out to stay.

TOMORROW. Eat at least two "proper" meals. And snacks. Diet break ain't worth shiz if you still eat at a deficit! This has never been a problem before. It's a strange turn of events.
  • Nony_Mouse
    I don't think I'm diet breaking right. Some of this is because I am feeling bloated and on top of that there's the, let's change things up, malaise I am dealing with. Neither a winning combination for wanton indulgence but still, this is me, I am a winner at eating. Except when I'm not.

I have literally just made myself have some tortilla chips and cheese dip (of the cheap and cheerful variety you only indulge quietly in at Christmas) because I have barely eaten today! And I didn't really eat a lot yesterday either. I stopped logging in MFP (but doing some casual mental math) as a sort of test for myself to see how actual maintenance might work but also because I feel like I eat my goal just because sometimes. I did log Monday but came in about with about 400 calories left because I ran out of snacks, heh.

This has turned out to be a double edged sword. I no longer feel the need to finish what I have made/have in front of me. Nor do I fiddle around to see if I can add in a little extra of this because RESTRICTED (psychologically speaking, I don't technically restrict anything but calories). So this is curious. Good news I suppose. Don't imagine it will last forever, the bloat and lack of appetite that is. I'd like the laissez faire attitude to eating everything I have portioned out to stay.

TOMORROW. Eat at least two "proper" meals. And snacks. Diet break ain't worth shiz if you still eat at a deficit! This has never been a problem before. It's a strange turn of events.

I get it. By a few weeks in to the diet break that wasn't, feeling punk and grumpy (b/c that's pretty much the norm atm), I was just like 'really?? But I don't wanna eat'. I'm so over food currently. Luckily my TDEE has been lower a few days this week with being housebound by stupid nature, so it hasn't been as difficult. Yesterday was only 1850 cals, and I was a-ok with that.

I can't even go 'meh, I'll make that up on Christmas Day' b/c I already have 5250 cals in the body bank if I want to bump back up to 61 kg :D Ah, me and my First World problems...
  • Nony_Mouse
    I've made the decision to drive both ways to BBQ. Just can't stand the thought of sunblock on my skin. I had stuck a couple of bottles of cider in the fridge to take with me, but not going to bother. If they happen to have some I may have one, but that's it.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Does @psuLemon not love us anymore? He hasn't posted in here in yonks.