Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I wonder what increase got from my poison ivy rash, and several re-infections as I missed what the oil must have gotten on?
    And a long bike ride didn't help with the sweating.
    This after 2 weeks since initial contact.

Yep, you get some cal credit for that. And ow!!!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    For those not on my friends list,

Ankle: up 1 cm
    Waist: up 1.5 cm
    Thigh (individual): up 1.5 cm

Yes, I am a big wobbly mess of water.

However, the rash is vastly improved, and I was able to get through strength training. Definitely not the energizer bunny I was before that, but that's also possibly lack of food, because what increased appetite???

Yoghurt and strawberries, and probably a protein shake, is a balanced diet, right??

:(

You seem to be handling this exceptionally well @Nony_Mouse... I would have been a mess just from the rash! Hoping it clears up completely and you can get off the meds soon!

I'm actually really not :\ Y'know how people make their life look fabulous on Facebook? :tongue:

This is laugh so I don't cry. It's been close more than once.

I really want to go for a walk, because it helps clear my head, plus cabin fever, but I'm already 300 cals under TDEE with what I have logged.

And I am stressing myself out over *kitten* sodium. I have never once given a damn about my sodium intake.

It's water weight, it's water weight, it's water weight. It will go away.

Oh :( keep laughing on the outside if it helps... If not, let it all out!
    It is water weight, it is, and you know it too (not that it makes it any easier).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I actually have a book from my childhood, it was one of my favourites, called 'The Laughing Book', basically all just keep laughing even when everything sucks. It explains sooooooooooo much about me...(thanks, parents).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I actually have a book from my childhood, it was one of my favourites, called 'The Laughing Book', basically all just keep laughing even when everything sucks. It explains sooooooooooo much about me...(thanks, parents).

Thats me on the outside in rubbish situations too...but ive never read the book :p
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Okay, let's make this fun, bets on how much water weight Nony can gain on pred. I'm on day 3 of 5 at twice a day (though I can scale down as soon as the rash has cleared, so may get away with four days), and 5 days at once a day (though if I only do four at twice a day I may be able to do fewer at one as well, need to check with doctor on that. Ovulation around mid next week should also be taken into account. Could be Wednesday, could be Saturday, or anywhere in between.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Thats me on the outside in rubbish situations too...but ive never read the book :p

It should be sub-titled "how to mess up your child and make them hide their emotions".
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Okay, let's make this fun, bets on how much water weight Nony can gain on pred. I'm on day 3 of 5 at twice a day (though I can scale down as soon as the rash has cleared, so may get away with four days), and 5 days at once a day (though if I only do four at twice a day I may be able to do fewer at one as well, need to check with doctor on that. Ovulation around mid next week should also be taken into account. Could be Wednesday, could be Saturday, or anywhere in between.

3.6kg
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

However, the rash is vastly improved, and I was able to get through strength training. Definitely not the energizer bunny I was before that, but that's also possibly lack of food, because what increased appetite???

Yoghurt and strawberries, and probably a protein shake, is a balanced diet, right??

You seem to be handling this exceptionally well @Nony_Mouse... I would have been a mess just from the rash! Hoping it clears up completely and you can get off the meds soon!

I'm actually really not :\ Y'know how people make their life look fabulous on Facebook? :tongue:

I really want to go for a walk, because it helps clear my head, plus cabin fever, but I'm already 300 cals under TDEE with what I have logged.

And I am stressing myself out over *kitten* sodium. I have never once given a damn about my sodium intake.

Water weight it is! Try hiding the scales and the measuring tape for the next two days?

Oh but that won't work with the bet! Right, so I think you'll be up 2.1kg from pred and hormones by wednesday.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Pfft, I can do so much better than that! Especially if my appetite comes back properly and I have my usual halloumi salad for dinner.

And we need to count the 0.5kg I'm already up.
  • maybyn
    Options
    Pfft, I can do so much better than that! Especially if my appetite comes back properly and I have my usual halloumi salad for dinner.

And we need to count the 0.5kg I'm already up.

Haha, okay, I didn't want to freak you out with a high number but since you're soo ready for it, I'll up it to 3.1 then. Dunno, not sure if you'll hit above 3.5kg...
  • maybyn
    Options
    maybyn wrote: »
    @Nony_Mouse, @anubis609, thank you for your kind words. They help tremendously. I've actually booked a session with a therapist just last week after my really bad episode. It took me seeing what others were going through in this thread and other threads here that prompted me to do it, something I would never have done previously. Fingers crossed!
    psuLemon wrote: »
    A small update from me - so much so for the accuracy of my numbers.

Quite an embarrassing confession to make but in the midst of all the conversions from kg to pounds (which I do for this forum and a couple of others), I had my calculations set up as 3500 cals = 1kg, not 1 pound. So my rate of loss the past 4 months was double what it should shave been if the 3500 cals = 1 pound rule was taken.

For the science-y people in or reading this thread who may be interested, here are my numbers. And for those who may be scared to up their calories, so many great testimonials already from others who have posted but here's mine. While my monthly numbers do not match projected scale drops each month likely due to water weight, TOM, binging vs whoosh effect etc etc but taken overall, the numbers match (apart from the fact that I need to look at the CO part carefully now since my garmin may not be as accurate as I thought).
    d3jher5d9sva.png

(ETA: October was the start of the Refeed approach)

I'm officially on a diet break now (aka maintenance) and will be on this till probably around March next year.

So you ate almost 1000 calories more and still lost weight.

Dont let the main forums now, they will freak the hell out.

Sorry if that has been pointed out, 4 pages behind lol

:) IKR!

It was this thread that helped me decide to stick to upping cals and going maintenance (refeed) with a higher deficit. I think it was the whoosh effect which I mentioned right at the beginning (first few pages) of this thread AND not to mention, my training got sooo much better too. That was when I thought Holy hell, something's working here!

Next mission - finding how high I can go with calories!!

since starting my extended "diet break"/maintenance period 8 weeks ago, I've been steadily increasing my cals. I track my weight every day so I can follow a trend, and have pretty much maintained, after a minimal increase (300g increase in "Trend weight"). I do macros, so have maintained daily fat and protein grams, with the increase coming from carbs.

I think I maintain on low calories (but I could be more sedentary than I think, and be affected by other issues - still working on those), but I have increased my carbs from 140g/day to 200g/day in 20g increments. This is the most carbs I have eating consistently for a while. I feel a little bit fluffier around the middle, but i'm putting that down to holding more water due to carbs and eating more food in general.

I'm doing this for another month, until the program i'm following is finished (Layne Norton's Ph3). After that i'm actually excited to see how I go with a small deficit - i'll be implementing proper refeeds then. (unless the Dr I've started working with has other ideas. )

Interesting! Can you try going higher you think? See if you can maintain a higher intake and doing another lot of carb increase for the next month? Or even other macros rather than/instead of just carb. Or will this interfere with your program?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse, @anubis609, thank you for your kind words. They help tremendously. I've actually booked a session with a therapist just last week after my really bad episode. It took me seeing what others were going through in this thread and other threads here that prompted me to do it, something I would never have done previously. Fingers crossed!
    psuLemon wrote: »
    A small update from me - so much so for the accuracy of my numbers.

Quite an embarrassing confession to make but in the midst of all the conversions from kg to pounds (which I do for this forum and a couple of others), I had my calculations set up as 3500 cals = 1kg, not 1 pound. So my rate of loss the past 4 months was double what it should shave been if the 3500 cals = 1 pound rule was taken.

For the science-y people in or reading this thread who may be interested, here are my numbers. And for those who may be scared to up their calories, so many great testimonials already from others who have posted but here's mine. While my monthly numbers do not match projected scale drops each month likely due to water weight, TOM, binging vs whoosh effect etc etc but taken overall, the numbers match (apart from the fact that I need to look at the CO part carefully now since my garmin may not be as accurate as I thought).
    d3jher5d9sva.png

(ETA: October was the start of the Refeed approach)

I'm officially on a diet break now (aka maintenance) and will be on this till probably around March next year.

So you ate almost 1000 calories more and still lost weight.

Dont let the main forums now, they will freak the hell out.

Sorry if that has been pointed out, 4 pages behind lol

:) IKR!

It was this thread that helped me decide to stick to upping cals and going maintenance (refeed) with a higher deficit. I think it was the whoosh effect which I mentioned right at the beginning (first few pages) of this thread AND not to mention, my training got sooo much better too. That was when I thought Holy hell, something's working here!

Next mission - finding how high I can go with calories!!

since starting my extended "diet break"/maintenance period 8 weeks ago, I've been steadily increasing my cals. I track my weight every day so I can follow a trend, and have pretty much maintained, after a minimal increase (300g increase in "Trend weight"). I do macros, so have maintained daily fat and protein grams, with the increase coming from carbs.

I think I maintain on low calories (but I could be more sedentary than I think, and be affected by other issues - still working on those), but I have increased my carbs from 140g/day to 200g/day in 20g increments. This is the most carbs I have eating consistently for a while. I feel a little bit fluffier around the middle, but i'm putting that down to holding more water due to carbs and eating more food in general.

I'm doing this for another month, until the program i'm following is finished (Layne Norton's Ph3). After that i'm actually excited to see how I go with a small deficit - i'll be implementing proper refeeds then. (unless the Dr I've started working with has other ideas. )

Interesting! Can you try going higher you think? See if you can maintain a higher intake and doing another lot of carb increase for the next month? Or even other macros rather than/instead of just carb. Or will this interfere with your program?

i intend on trying to push it more, even just because of my love of food :P I have pushed my calories up a lot more when i reversed a few years ago post-comp. i eat enough protein, but might increase fat a little, or protein - i just like carbs :)

the program i'm following is just training, and definitely not something that will be affected negatively by more food! (more food should be beneficial!)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Had the good sense to have my evening pred with dinner instead of bedtime shake, which will hopefully mean less impact on sleep. Not helping with keeping TDEE down in order to hit maintenance cals though, I have my hyper on again. I think we can all agree my diet break is a bust at this point though :D I will try to do better in coming days though, cos repair.

This is me right now:

https://youtu.be/ZfusDrdBUpY

Also, feel free to suggest any rules I must abide by for betting purposes (like must hit TDEE).

I just took rash progress pics, bit naff b/c of artificial light, I had been doing them in the afternoon but forgot. Holy OMG on the thigh pudge!! It's super obvious, and lumpy as hell. I'd only just gotten those damn things starting to look lean!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I am miffed to put it mildly. I don't what my body is doing but it is not what it should. I've been at this 2.5 years, this is not a human error thing or wrong numbers. Ugh. And I am not helping by being annoyed and frustrated and yes I am fluffy so that would explain some of but aaarrrggghhhh.

Maybe maintenance over Christmas will sort it out but I've had plenty of weeks at maintenance (and surplus) this year. Whatevs. I don't care. Do what you want body. Uh huh..........
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

It's water weight. It sucks, and it's horrible, and anyone who claims otherwise is a lying fool, but it will eventually go away and stop sucking as much.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    It's 3.30 am and I am up before I rip my skin off. Stupid heat. I have managed some sleep, I think, and will be attempting more. Just applied some chilled aloe gel to soothe it and took another antihistamine.