Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)

On the bright side, it rained a little! Was raining when I woke up, and now appears to be attempting some very light drizzly stuff, which wont do much for the ground, but the plants can at least absorb some water through their leaves. It's also meant to blessedly stay down around 20-22 C today. I am quite seriously on the verge of judiciously watering some of the native plants, the pungas (tree ferns) are looking particularly sad. They're a forest plant ffs. Whoever planted this garden didn't have a clue what they were doing. Like, there's a juvenile Lancewood out there. Whoever planted that obviously has no clue how big that is going to get - http://www.terrain.net.nz/friends-of-te-henui-group/trees-native-botanical-names-m-to-q/lancewood.html. There is no room for an adult Lancewood in that spot. Likewise, Yucca right beside the path, that is now attacking me as I walk past. Only real choice is to cut back the leaves on one side. Not my garden (rental), so I can't just transplant things, though I may talk to the rental agent about getting the landlady to come around and see if she wants to get that done.
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Oh, and bright side of pungas with dying (dead) branches I reckon I can use those to create a moisture-retaining 'forest floor' which will also suppress the weeds.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your fish Nony, and your water heater mph.

I'm having a very, very hungry day today, so I'm just eating all the things and not really caring. I'm also horribly fatigued and worn out. I will be well over calories for the day and don't care.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    It would take just slightly larger than avg of the metabolically active organs accounting for most of your RMR to push you higher.
    Shoot - maybe it's all in the brain activity higher than normal!!!!!
    And with hypo - perhaps it could have been 30% higher.

@heybales I think you just called @Psychgrrl brain too big for her britches :lol:
    *which considering how young she looks* :trollface:

5qepvz2x0exy.gif

@PAV8888 The waitress at my birthday dinner last night did not believe me.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Yes, thinking whole seed mustard, spring onions, maybe some red capsicum (raw, it can pretend it's tomato, they are family after all). No eggies for Nony :(

When I was growing up, my mother used to put bacon in our potato salad. It was mayo based. Could you get some veggie bacon to crumble on? It would add a lovely flavor.

Now I'm wanting some of this ish. I might have to make some during my diet break.

The veggie bacon has both egg and gluten in it. I could get tvp bacon bits though!! Stellar idea.

My usual potato salad recipe calls for half a jar of Best Foods real mayo :tongue: Whip up the mayo with lots of paprika and some cracked pepper, chuck in the potatoes, halved cherry tomatoes, spring onion. Done. It's amazing.

Could you sub in plain greek or icelandic yogurt for some of the mayo?
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Dammit! It's Christmas at our house - what major appliance is going to crap out this year? The water heater, for the win! After googling and trying every fix known to the internet, my husband has declared it officially dead. His next day off is Wed., so we're going to have nothing but cold water until then. :'(

We really need an empathy button. :neutral: So Sorry about the lack of hot water. That sucks! Can you find a coupon or deal for a free day-pass gym trial and use their showers? (Not my first rodeo.)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Yes, thinking whole seed mustard, spring onions, maybe some red capsicum (raw, it can pretend it's tomato, they are family after all). No eggies for Nony :(

When I was growing up, my mother used to put bacon in our potato salad. It was mayo based. Could you get some veggie bacon to crumble on? It would add a lovely flavor.

Now I'm wanting some of this ish. I might have to make some during my diet break.

The veggie bacon has both egg and gluten in it. I could get tvp bacon bits though!! Stellar idea.

My usual potato salad recipe calls for half a jar of Best Foods real mayo :tongue: Whip up the mayo with lots of paprika and some cracked pepper, chuck in the potatoes, halved cherry tomatoes, spring onion. Done. It's amazing.

Could you sub in plain greek or icelandic yogurt for some of the mayo?

I'm going full yoghurt. Didn't make the potato salad last night as intended, cos I crashed hard from all the lack of sleep, so napped a couple of hours then proper bed by 8.30!

I think I'm going to try my hand at making stuffed grape leaves for Christmas day. All the recipes I've found so far make 50 of the buggers, which is a bit excessive really, so I'll be thirding that I reckon. Also debating between traditional rice and quinoa.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I'm having a very, very hungry day today, so I'm just eating all the things and not really caring. I'm also horribly fatigued and worn out. I will be well over calories for the day and don't care.

I'm still majorly struggling with fatigue. I haven't needed to sleep this much in a long time. Might up the vit D supplement to see if that helps. At this point I'm fairly sure I'll have to cancel going to my friend on Christmas day, I am in no state to be doing 1+ hour drives there and back never mind trying be jolly for the day on top. My brain will do all the noping out of it all.

I also ate all the things yesterday. Was way over. But had a restrained week and haven't been as hungry today so all on track for not gaining this week, hurrah! 1 break week down, two to go.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Dammit, we need to be able to hit two reactions at once, one being the non-existent empathy one.

Anyway, this I think will be the go for the stuffed grape leaves, also conveniently the right sized recipe: http://foodfash.com/2012/05/18/quinoa-stuffed-grape-leaves/

I don't have a Dutch oven (wtf?? I'm Dutch), but I figure a pyrex casserole dish will do the same job. Also, no pine nuts in this recipe. They would still work with quinoa, right? Cos pine nuts...
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Dammit! It's Christmas at our house - what major appliance is going to crap out this year? The water heater, for the win! After googling and trying every fix known to the internet, my husband has declared it officially dead. His next day off is Wed., so we're going to have nothing but cold water until then. :'(

We really need an empathy button. :neutral: So Sorry about the lack of hot water. That sucks! Can you find a coupon or deal for a free day-pass gym trial and use their showers? (Not my first rodeo.)

Thanks for the condolences, and yep I have a gym membership and will eventually go take a shower there, mostly because I'm going out to dinner.

GottaBurn and VintageFeline - so sorry about the fatigue! It's so much harder around the holidays, when there's so much extra stuff that has to get done. I hope it turns out to be shorter episodes rather than longer.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

I'm still majorly struggling with fatigue. I haven't needed to sleep this much in a long time. Might up the vit D supplement to see if that helps. At this point I'm fairly sure I'll have to cancel going to my friend on Christmas day, I am in no state to be doing 1+ hour drives there and back never mind trying be jolly for the day on top. My brain will do all the noping out of it all.

I also ate all the things yesterday. Was way over. But had a restrained week and haven't been as hungry today so all on track for not gaining this week, hurrah! 1 break week down, two to go.

I wish I could give in to sleep, but I know if I do it's just asking for a migraine. I snuck a week catnap sitting up in my chair here. Probably 10 minutes tops. Not enough to mess with my silly blood vessels.

I hope you experience an uptick in how you feel so that you feel up to seeing your friends on Christmas. I'm sure your feline companions are lovely and you'd make sure you had a nice day for yourself, but still.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Dammit, we need to be able to hit two reactions at once, one being the non-existent empathy one.

Anyway, this I think will be the go for the stuffed grape leaves, also conveniently the right sized recipe: http://foodfash.com/2012/05/18/quinoa-stuffed-grape-leaves/

I don't have a Dutch oven (wtf?? I'm Dutch), but I figure a pyrex casserole dish will do the same job. Also, no pine nuts in this recipe. They would still work with quinoa, right? Cos pine nuts...

Oh yes, definitely add pine nuts, they'd be really nice in there for both fat and mouth feel.

I tend to not get as much fat as you do, but what fat I do get, I like to get from nuts or avocados because tasty.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Thanks for the condolences, and yep I have a gym membership and will eventually go take a shower there, mostly because I'm going out to dinner.

GottaBurn and VintageFeline - so sorry about the fatigue! It's so much harder around the holidays, when there's so much extra stuff that has to get done. I hope it turns out to be shorter episodes rather than longer.

Fortunately, our holidays are very low key and we're almost all ready. I have to do a last minute grocery shop this week and have to take the kids out to pick up things for hubby's stocking. That's about it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    Not my garden (rental), so I can't just transplant things, though I may talk to the rental agent about getting the landlady to come around and see if she wants to get that done.
    I would think that if you sound responsible and have been there a while, most owners would be tempted to let you to do some free work that would improve their garden long term :wink:

• Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Not my garden (rental), so I can't just transplant things, though I may talk to the rental agent about getting the landlady to come around and see if she wants to get that done.
    I would think that if you sound responsible and have been there a while, most owners would be tempted to let you to do some free work that would improve their garden long term :wink:

Oh I'm meant to maintain the garden as part of my lease agreement (should get on to that, it's a weedy mess atm), but I don't think that includes moving trees!! The yukka would take some work to dig out too, and really not sure where a more sensible place to put them would even be.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

The fatigue is just my brain braining. I do very little of anything round the festive season, no work nights out and no family. Just a few gifts for my closest friends. And if I go to them just the drive up there and back taking my designated item (this year I am on soft drinks duty for the drivers).

So yeah, all I need to do is a festive treat and food shop and I am done. Sort of. I need to get something else for my friends OH but I am stuck. His Amazon wish list is no help, I love him but I am not buying him a £160 new kitchen tap or an OG Nintendo! Maybe when I win the lottery.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Sigh, oh very nice downstairs neighbour lady!
    Thank you for 105 grams of the baklava you just finished making.
    Because, like, I haven't already been running +170 Cal per day above maintenance for the first 16 days of December! :anguished: :
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Sigh, oh very nice downstairs neighbour lady!
    Thank you for 105 grams of the baklava you just finished making.
    Because, like, I haven't already been running +170 Cal per day above maintenance for the first 16 days of December! :anguished: :

Send your surplus my way ;)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    It is crazy windy here. Just picked up 5.5kg of grapefruits that had fallen off the tree. Uh, not sure what I'm going to do with those!! And presumably more will shake loose throughout the day.

Potato salad was a hit with my tastebuds and my belly. Had that, a couple of veg sausages and some cucumber for lunch.