Weight loss woo keeps getting worse.

Options

Replies

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Is this really worse than those 3' long colon kelp tape thingies that were once a thing? Nothing is truly surprising anymore... sadface...

What!? Is this something im going to need to google? hahaha.. i know i was gone for a few months but.. lol

I believe he is talking about tape worms and NOPE I heard a story of a lady who tired it only to die. The tape worms had left her digestive track to other parts of her body and attach to some of her organs. This lead to her death.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Is this really worse than those 3' long colon kelp tape thingies that were once a thing? Nothing is truly surprising anymore... sadface...

What!? Is this something im going to need to google? hahaha.. i know i was gone for a few months but.. lol

I believe he is talking about tape worms and NOPE I heard a story of a lady who tired it only to die. The tape worms had left her digestive track to other parts of her body and attach to some of her organs. This lead to her death.

i know about that but they said "kelp"

altho i never did look it up, i totally forgot

Me too. But basically a kelp tapeworm sounds like something I don't need to google. Particularly not at work :D

I try and keep my feet on the ground and remember the major food groups but I get as far as biscuits, chocolate, bacon, and burnt crispy bits and feel like I'm missing something important :/
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Side note my aunts back at it. Today she told me she reworked the public school snack program to chocolate chip granola bars and mini sugary cereal boxes with milk off of fresh apples and sandwiches because their lower calorie and shes fighting the obesity problem. By swapping apples for chocolate granola bars. Funnily they are 150-200 calorie bars. The apples they had been using were around 90 calories. Her logic just dumbfounds me

edited to wonder if shell be putting butter on their granola bars

Oh Goodie.

Aunt stories again. I've missed those.

So sugar cereal instead of sandwiches and chocolate chip granola bars instead of apples. And she has the authority to make the changes? Can't wait to hear when the parents complain and she is forced to change it back. I'd hide from her that week if I was you :)
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    This whole thing was a good read from start to finish :lol:
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    So this week I'm doing the intermittent keto - parsley diet for my blood type. Who's with me? :o

Oh I am totally in. I just had someone on my personal feed write about how sugar stops weight loss and something about plexus products? I don't know what those are but maybe we should add the 0 sugar otherwise we won't lose as much weight even with the parsley

Me too. I unfriended them.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

Thanks for that! I missed that episode. Posted it on my FB.

I did watch his Halloween episode last night and it was hilarious and awesome.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don’t know how much worse it has gotten. I think for sure we can chalk most of it up to social media like the poster above said. I certainly remember doing the cabbage soup diet with my mom when I was 15 and wow that gross. We also took white cross “energy” pills, I believe they have since been pulled for being essentially speed. I’m sure if the internet had been around (thanks a lot AL Gore for not getting on its invention sooner) we would have tried lots of other fun things!
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    The one I can't wrap my head around is "starvation mode". The only thing that will make you lose weight creating a calorie deficit, which is typically done by eating less. Yet somehow eating less will make you gain weight? I am dumbfounded how anyone can buy this logic.

I guess it is because people weigh themselves in the morning, eat healthy for 6 hours, weigh themselves, the scale goes up 2 pounds, so their body must be hoarding fat. It couldn't possibly be a full bladder or the fact they just ate, obviously it is fat.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    The one I can't wrap my head around is "starvation mode". The only thing that will make you lose weight creating a calorie deficit, which is typically done by eating less. Yet somehow eating less will make you gain weight? I am dumbfounded how anyone can buy this logic.

I guess it is because people weigh themselves in the morning, eat healthy for 6 hours, weigh themselves, the scale goes up 2 pounds, so their body must be hoarding fat. It couldn't possibly be a full bladder or the fact they just ate, obviously it is fat.

There's bad woo on both sides of adaptive thermogenics.

On the one hand you have the above.

On the other you have the assertion that someone who has lost 200 lbs and now weights 187 lbs can and should maintain that weight with approximately the same calories as someone who hasn't lost 200 lbs.

Adaptive Thermogenics and metabolic damage are real things and can take months or years to recover.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

On the other you have the assertion that someone who has lost 200 lbs and now weights 187 lbs can and should maintain that weight with approximately the same calories as someone who hasn't lost 200 lbs.

Adaptive Thermogenics and metabolic damage are real things and can take months or years to recover.

Is this what that "refeeds and diet breaks" post was about?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    MsChewMe wrote: »
    Sairzie wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    The unicorns never truly went away. They just retreated to a mythical oasis from which they can observe those left behind. If one is lucky, they can see the rainbows created then they piss themselves laughing at the foolishness of mortals.

They're in Scotland, so magical a country the national animal is a unicorn. Just another reason us Scots are cool AF.

And dragons in Wales! And giants in Northern Ireland!

And chupacabras in the USA!

Mexico*

And Texas... so USA.
  • aeloine
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    MsChewMe wrote: »
    Sairzie wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    The unicorns never truly went away. They just retreated to a mythical oasis from which they can observe those left behind. If one is lucky, they can see the rainbows created then they piss themselves laughing at the foolishness of mortals.

They're in Scotland, so magical a country the national animal is a unicorn. Just another reason us Scots are cool AF.

And dragons in Wales! And giants in Northern Ireland!

And chupacabras in the USA!

Mexico*

And Texas... so USA.

"Texas here, anyone from Texas?"
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

In part but more than just that. Go in a take a look. There is a wealth of info and links in that thread.
  • aeloine
    Options

I had this very argument with my psychiatrist when I was getting help with my binge eating disorder. I was at 135 pounds and felt good there but he insisted I eat more and gain because I looked "sick".

I refused for a while and he threatened to stop giving me my medications if I didn't. He insisted a min if 2000 calories but still thought I should eat more then that and I tried mentioning adaptive thermogenesis and he wouldn't hear it. He said that even if I gained more weight then expected I would just eventually balance out and I could just buy new clothes.

To avoid losing my meds I did what I was told and I did put on a lot more weight then I should have simply because after 25 years of being over weight my maintenance was probably lower then it would have normally and I wasn't given the opportunity to figure out what that was.
    I had a maintenance number figured out for my lifestyle I was living but he was insisting that I also stop doing as much cardio as well.

Damn, dude. The forums are depressing as hell today.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. Kudos on continuing to work and progress your health and fitness.
  • aeloine
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

In part but more than just that. Go in a take a look. There is a wealth of info and links in that thread.

I know.... but it's also waaaay above my head for the most part. I haven't had a chance to watch the video but got the cliff notes from some of the early responses.

I'm really glad it cropped up, though. I think it addresses some of what I've been going through lately.