Weight loss woo keeps getting worse.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Okay.. so i thought i had seen it all.. i mean all my time here with people posting crazy cleanses and detox drinks, different pills, diets, etc..

So i was going through the main feed of my pinterest which i had been using to find recipes, however sometimes crazy things end up in the feed.. or at least i hope it's not just me lol

Anyway i happened to stumble upon this image surrounded in pictures of apple crumble and shrimp pasta recipes, cat pictures and fitness quotes.. and what looks like zombies LOL which ironically i've never searched for on pinterest either.

h3tqzxgd2zjg.png

The image took me here
    https://www.healthyremediesteam.com/2017/08/15/consume-drink-sleeping-clear-colon-everything-youve-consumed-throughout-day/

and while this supposed colon emptying drink has the "tried and true" ACV... apparently this one is all about parsley..

Have we gotten to the point of weight loss now where not only do people think they need to detox and cleanse their body with ingredients that do absolutely nothing, but we also have to a completely empty colon daily?

The whole article is just terrible.. lol.. but this is actually my first run in with the magical properties of parsley.

(However i will be making that shrimp pasta)

pinterest is great for misinformation on diet and exercise as well.I dont know how many times a day I get emails about things that might interest me and most a pics of workouts that blast belly fat,shrink thighs as so on. we know that to lose fat we need a deficit and we cant spot reduce. but as long as there is that misinformation out there and gullible people we will never escape it. lets face it too that may people even when prevented with proof,facts,scientific research,etc still wont believe that what they see/read isnt true
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited October 2017
    Assuming parsley has magical powers, I'm trying to picture how much you would have to eat to get the benefit - a lot more than a sprig or two I'm guessing. Like maybe a giant salad bowl. Dressed with ACV. Yum!

eta: I don't think I could eat that even if it did have magical powers. For me, parsley falls into the cilantro family of "things that taste like soap".
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited October 2017
    mph323 wrote: »
    Assuming parsley has magical powers, I'm trying to picture how much you would have to eat to get the benefit - a lot more than a sprig or two I'm guessing. Like maybe a giant salad bowl. Dressed with ACV. Yum!

eta: I don't think I could eat that even if it did have magical powers. For me, parsley falls into the cilantro family of "things that taste like soap".

You know... lol
    I always see people make the comment that our grandparents, etc ate full fat butter and all this stuff and didn't have the same obesity problem we have today. That generation also got their mouth washed out with soap for saying bad things, perhaps a preparation method for the vast amounts of parsley they consumed? lol

You're absolutely right - it had to have been the parsley. I'm sure there's a chart around here that shows the decline in consumption of parsley correlates directly with the rise of obesity.

eta: God knows there's a chart for every other correlation you could think of...
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I dunno. Parsley is pretty tasty. And chock full of vitamins/antioxidants. I could get on board with, say, a daily tabbouleh-minus-bulgar-light-on-EVOO. Yum.

<wanders off to find ingredients>

I just had Lebanese food for the first time last week. They served us a big pile of parsley with spices on pita and it was awesome. I forget what it was called but the wife and I loved it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    richln wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I dunno. Parsley is pretty tasty. And chock full of vitamins/antioxidants. I could get on board with, say, a daily tabbouleh-minus-bulgar-light-on-EVOO. Yum.

<wanders off to find ingredients>

I just had Lebanese food for the first time last week. They served us a big pile of parsley with spices on pita and it was awesome. I forget what it was called but the wife and I loved it.

tabouleh ;) so good.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Side note...you convinced me to finally sign up for pintrest and hungry me clicked to follow food and dessert stuff...big mistake.....im so hungry and now im stuck staring at yummy desserts :( LOL
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I find it interesting that all of these posts, articles, etc are always about weight loss and never about the real challenge which is maintaining a healthy weight. I guess that's not sexy enough.

More like not drastic/dramatic enough. :neutral:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited October 2017
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    This is sad. There are other ways to make friends than bonding over trash talking.

Thanks for trashing our "trash talk".

Now this thread has got all the elements of a classic. Hilarious woo, woo debunking, long nitpicking derail and smackdown, and now an angry bystander.

I think the irony of that post may have escaped her. Funny thing is we are in here trashing ideas, she came in here to trash the people in here. But we are the rude ones. Right.

I will never understand people who seem to consider bad-mouthing a persons idea as being the same thing as bad-mouthing that person.

Well said.

Yep, "attack the argument, not the arguer". That's the explanation of an Ad Hominem logical fallacy.

My guess is someone's been at the receiving end of a debunking.